Skip to main content
Topic: The BondoBird (Read 5888 times) previous topic - next topic

The BondoBird

SO here is my car. A 1986 Ford Thunderbird V8. Bought it for $700. I purchased it because I started school in September for Automotive collision and refinishing and what a great example to learn on. It was an old man's car. The front was obviously fixed poorly but after starting to work on her, we found more and more. The bondo on the driver's door was almost 2" thick so I opted to get a new door. More bondo was found on the the drivers side wheel arch. It was a good repair so we are going to to fix it. Apparently the old man used it as a bumper car. We think he backed up with the door open and peeled it forward. The plan is to paint it like a 35th Anniversary Edition Tbird. Black, titanium and blue. Let me know what ya think. Updates as I do them

The BondoBird

Reply #1
nice project.... Can't wait to see updates. Hmmm... Maybe you can turn it into a convertible while it's there for extra practice. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

The BondoBird

Reply #3
Good luck but more importantly have fun :D
Fox-less at the moment

Update

Reply #4
Man, Ford sure didnt want these things to rust. They also never intended for the molding to come off, that glue was crazy strong. Except where the old redneck used Dry wall screws to hold it on. We have to remove the rear glass to fix some well rust and some trim clips and pegs but the work is proceeding well

The BondoBird

Reply #5
I thought about a convertible but changed my mind and Im def having fun!

The BondoBird

Reply #6
Quote from: Eliminator;309234
Man, Ford sure didnt want these things to rust. They also never intended for the molding to come off, that glue was crazy strong. Except where the old redneck used Dry wall screws to hold it on. We have to remove the rear glass to fix some well rust and some trim clips and pegs but the work is proceeding well

I believe that black E coating was only on aftermarket panels. none of the panels I ground down ever had that. They had a redish brown primer coat on them.  Was that the door you ground down?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

The BondoBird

Reply #7
Looks like a great project! Looking forward to the final results!

The BondoBird

Reply #8
yeah but most of the body had it. My teacher said it was the corrosion protection. The white door is off a southern 85. But like I said the old man probably hit everything at one point but the passenger side looked all original. The repairs on the drivers side was evident. The inferior paint and clearcoat that was falling off.

The BondoBird

Reply #9
Cool, I heard stories about certain cars getting diff. primers for the areas that they were to be shipped and sold. My car doors actually started rusting when the car was only 2 years old. It never had that coating on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

The BondoBird

Reply #10
yeah this Tbird was bought and sold here locally in Georgia. The Thunderbird I got the door, front fender and front clip off of Im not sure. But its funny that the front finder was rusting some. Im still trying to figure out what to paint the grille headlight buckets and trim. I dont want them to distract from the all black paint job (like a 35th Anni Tbird) but the 86's lines arent as clean or slabbed either.

The BondoBird

Reply #11
Some more pix of the progress. Had to cut holes at the bottom of the window in back where water collected and rusted em out. My first welding ever, and I did the patch holes. Two valuable lessons were learned, one rear deck speakers that are 24 years old are flammable and always use a welding blanket! lol:flame:

The BondoBird

Reply #12
and here she is, almost ready for paint. almost. shes wet sanded with 500 grit

The BondoBird

Reply #13
You're getting there!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

The BondoBird

Reply #14
Nice work,keep it up.I like to saa a car come together.I need to take all of my pics and make a big picture album.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..