Skip to main content
Topic: Back in an '80 XR-7 (Read 23160 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #135
Nice score !! I agree,it's not pretty,but with a little love,it'll be fine.Reminds me of the condition the Sport's console and entire interior was.Bad stuff.It's come a long way. Could you have a shop re-vinyl it for you?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #136
Some people are barbarians when it comes to removing parts.  Looks salvagable however.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #137
OK, time for an update and a couple more pics.

Been driving the car a bit now that the snow has finally cleared.  I'm getting more aggravated at the stupid carb.  The accelerator pump circuit just will not cooperate.  Had the same issue with the one on the old car, but that was easier to deal with since it was a manual (this one is still an auto).  You have to be very gingerly when leaving from a stop, or it will bog and/or stall. 
I broke down the other day and put new spark plugs in it, but still have yet to do much to the engine aside from "rebuilding" the carb.  Trying to avoid dumping too much money into the 255.  The C4 is beginning to act up a bit too, so we'll see how long that lasts.  Still trying to get another project done and on the ground before I tear this one apart.

Here's a couple pics from Friday.  It's a mess, and certainly not pretty.

I also got the headliner back into it.

The old backer was mouse-eaten, so I had to replace it.  I used the shower surround material that I'd seen recommended on another site instead of the 1/16" ABS plastic I originally wanted to.  Next time I'll use the ABS.  The surround material is kind of tedious to work with.  It has kind of a fibrous property to it, so it's not super easy to cut.  It's kind of thick, so it's heavier and doesn't form well.  The stock backer has small folds/creases in it that allow the sides/edges to "lay down" and conform to the roof better.  You can't do that to this stuff, so it just bows.  With the ABS, I could've better mimic the stock backer.  You can see in the pic the gap towards the rear.  That's caused by the above.  If I have to redo it, I'll get some ABS plastic.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #138
It still looks pretty good, Chuck. I'd call it a success.

It was worth a shot trying the shower material. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Sure is a classy rig!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #139
Makes me think about this 80 XR-7 that is across town at a car lot. It has been there for probably 5 years or more. It's nice and low miles, but he wants 2900 for it. He just lets it sit there. I wish he'd sell it to me for like 900 :)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #140
I dig the snowflakes!  Stance and attitude are plenty with that car!
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #141
Quote from: blu84302;356645
I dig the snowflakes!

I hate 'em.  Tires are too tall and too skinny.  As soon as I can get the 5-lug stuff on it, these will be LONG gone.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #142
I think the Cougar XR7 is much better looking than the 80-82 T-birds. I hate the front end on those.

How tall are the tires on the Snowflakes? I think I have lower profile tires on mine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #143
I think they're 225/60's.  About 1-1/2" to 2" taller than they should be.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #144
XI was never a fan of the 80-82's when they were new, just never looked right to me but they have certainly grown on me in the past 30 years. This dont look all that different from Chucks XR7 except when the lights are on.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #145
Quote from: Dansbirds;356731
This dont look all that different from Chucks XR7 except when the lights are on.

And by that you mean, when the lights are on, you can see how ugly/ratty my car is. :hick:

It was an article in C&D on an '80 25th Anny TBird with the Recaros that sold me on these cars.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #146
Not at all, my Bird has giant single beams hidden behind the h/l doors.  I wouldnt mind the recaros either, this one has what looks like living room recliners in it

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #147
So, I did it again...I sold the car. 

Same guy that bought the white one, bought this one.

For right now, gonna keep the Fox focus on the '83.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #148
Well, at least its still close.

I like the new(old) sig pic.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #149
I figured it was time to change the sig.

Actually, it's kind of nice to have one less project vying for my attention.  That's 20% more energy that can be directed at the others. :hick: