Skip to main content
Topic: Back in an '80 XR-7 (Read 23162 times) previous topic - next topic

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #120
Quote from: Chuck W;318033
*sigh*

Rear brake hose went.  Peed all over the drive. Nice.

Just marking her territory, like any big cat................. dont worry about it.:rollin:
Mike

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #121
Well, not too much of an update, but I've spent some time on it recently.

I replaced the busted rear brake hose, so the car has brakes again.

I also figured out why the horn didn't work and why it kept blowing the fuse every time one was put in.  It shares a fuse with the cig lighter, and the genius PO had spliced in a wire to that to power the stereo I assume.  Well that wasn't connected to anything and just grounding out on the chassis...thus popping the fuse.

I grabbed up a set of SVO rear brakes/axles like what I had on the old car.  That will help with filling out the rear like before.

The springs have settled and the stance seems pretty good.  I'll rock it as-is for a bit. 

The engine swap stuff is about 3rd in line on projects, mainly because I have to deal with the driveway, and I like to have 2 (accessible) cars running at all times, just in case.  Such is the life when driving 22+ yr old cars every day.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #122
Quote from: Chuck W;320449
I like to have 2 (accessible) cars running at all times, just in case.  Such is the life when driving 22+ yr old cars every day.

I know that feeling, never know when something random will let go.
Mike

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #123
Quote from: mcb82gt;320574
I know that feeling, never know when something random will let go.

Yeah, the Volvo needs an intank pump upgrade, and then after that, the T5 is going into the Scorpio.  I'll need the Cougar as it sits as a backup until the two "dailys" are up and running.  Once the Scorpio is set, the initial engine stuff will commence on the XR-7.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #124
Busy, busy, busy with everything BUT this.

I did get the fuel gauge working again this weekend though.  Did a couple of the diagnostics (was getting the pulse to the sender, and there was proper resistance at the sender), and the issue turned out to be a corroded connector at the tank.  I cleaned it up and plugged it all back in and the gauge began working.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #125
Quote from: Chuck W;322990
Busy, busy, busy with everything BUT this.

I did get the fuel gauge working again this weekend though.  Did a couple of the diagnostics (was getting the pulse to the sender, and there was proper resistance at the sender), and the issue turned out to be a corroded connector at the tank.  I cleaned it up and plugged it all back in and the gauge began working.

Hurry up and get to the SHO swap... I want to see how you are going to go about it!!!!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #126
Not too much progress other than fixing the turn signals and the busted front bumper lights (which were a PITA to find). 
I also have a console waiting for it, just need to get my hands on it.

Gotta get this done first...

then onto messing with the SHO swap.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #127
-so fine, 2.9.....:hick:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #128
OK, so I had a random objective in my head this past weekend, so I took care of a small project.

This was the old headliner backer...

The mice had kinda made a mess of it.

I was planning on getting a sheet of 1/16" ABS plastic to make a new one, but I remember someone on another forum mentioning using generic shower wall material.  It's water and mildew resistant, etc.  So I was at the HW store over the weekend and decided to look for it.

4'x8' sheet, about $30.  About 3/32" thick, so a little thicker than the ABS I had planned.
(Yes, the grass is dead...We've had maybe 1/2" of rain in the past couple months here).

After about an hour I had this.

Not easily cutable with a utility knife, so I used some tin snips.  A heavy set of scissors might do the trick as well. 

It's a little heavy, and not as rigid as the ABS, but will be held up in place just fine when it's all said and done.

Now to figure out what color material to use.  Stock interior is a "Dove Grey"  I was thinking of using some contrasting darker grey/charcoal for the carpets and Recaro inserts, so I might go with the darker headliner.  Then again, I may just make it all match.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #129
I'm rather interested in how your headliner turns out...I bent/creased mine getting it out. I really do not care at all for a moonroof..

Anyway, do you think ordinary headliner adhesive will work on that, or will it take something different?
Can't wait to see the final product :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #130
I don't see why normal HD headliner adhesive wouldn't work.  It get's held in place by adhesive normally, so...

This is more "bendy" than the stock backer, but a bit more stiff than 1/16" ABS.  Mostly due to the 50% increase in thickness I imagine.

Still deciding on the color at the moment.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #131
I was wondering how thick it was in comparison to the stock backing material. Made me think that there might be a gab between the new stuff, and the trim pieces in some spots...

Since I can't find a nice moonroof headliner for my car, I'll very likely be doing this too. Plus, just one more thing I can say I did myself lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #132
The stock stuff is about the same thickness as this, and the fabric has a 3/16" foam backing. Doubt you'll have any gaps.

The material is $8-9 yard, and all you need is 2 yards.
http://www.yourautotrim.com/ is where I've gotten stuff recently.

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #133
OK, well at long last, I have found a center console.

One of the members over @ FEP happened upon one in an LTD, which is the same thing as used in the 80-82 cars.

It's not overly pretty, but it was only $10.

It needs a little repair, and a bit of reconditioning, but I think I can get it cleaned up enough to work. (At least until I happen upon a nicer one).

I'm probably just going to dye it (It's vinyl covered) to get the color right.  I thought about trying to recover it with new vinyl myself, but that would probably end in tears.  The wood-grain insert will end up black, most likely.

I'll need to fix the front mount, as it looks like someone removed it with an axe, but I have skills, so I think I'll be able to manage ;).

I'm also going to test out the SEM dye on the tan Recaros I have.  They had been recovered some time in their past, so worst case, if it doesn't work I'll redo them, or buy some others.  They're perfect vintage though...with netted headrests. :hick:

Back in an '80 XR-7

Reply #134
Nice score. I cant wait to see the console and seats installed.
Mike