Skip to main content
Topic: Does anyone have a Part# For a shorter Belt? (Read 4370 times) previous topic - next topic

Does anyone have a Part# For a shorter Belt?

I have a 87 Merc. Cougar LS. 20th ann. edition....5.0L (302).. Smog pump is binding up .... I can hear the bearings in it when you first start it up.... When Idling  I can stomp on the gas and get a slight Whiff of rubber burning..    Does anyone have a part number for a shorter belt? I can't really afford to replace the pump right now.. figured it would be cheaper to get a different belt..... I eliminated the cats so ... Not much sense in even running the pump... Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #1
I am just guessing your pretty much stock like me.

follow my advice here........... by doing what i did, you end up with the capability of using many many differnt size belts.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17236&highlight=short+belt&page=2

Reply #2
I am using an 85.5" belt..... no smog and under drives, I had to keep going back until i got the right size, luckily it was right up the street! If you don't have underdrives i would try an 85" belt and go from there.
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #3
Quote from: flipnbird;304593
I am using an 85.5" belt..... no smog and under drives, I had to keep going back until i got the right size, luckily it was right up the street! If you don't have underdrives i would try an 85" belt and go from there.

Under drives require a SHORTER belt than do std pulleys...

Remove belt, wrap a string around the pulleys and mark the point they overlap... Measure string, deduct 3/4"-1" for the tentioner travel...

Reply #4
I really need to do this, before that air pump seizes up.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #5
I guess I'll try the string trick then? I just bought a belt this morning b-4 I read this... That was supposed to be for 5.0 cougar no air... Thinking that would be short enough to by pass the smog pump... and the belt was to long even when going around the smog pump and by passing the a/c compressor it was still to long..  The one pic I seen from that link Was missing the a/c compressor... Mine still has the a/c compressor and still routed around compressor.. Let me try the string trick.........
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #6
Ok here we go.... I went out there and with my string and went around the pulleys in the direction they would normally be driven.... by-passing the smog and a/c compressor. I got 70" the first time....Cut a new piece of string and done it again. And I got 70.5" So if I am reading right I need a belt at least 68 to 69"...... Right??????
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #7
I got 70" the first time....Cut a new piece of string and done it again. And I got 70.5" So if I am reading right I need a belt at least 68 to 69"...... Right??????

Well ....I went to AZ and got them to get me a belt that was 68-69 inches long...... I guess Since my car doesn't have underdrive pulleys...{DUH.... What a doufus I can be.} Reckon I should have went the other direction and added an 1.5" to my 70" Cause this belt was almost there... 1.5" short..
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #8
You can't bypass the AC compressor unless you have an eliminator kit, because the inside of the belt rubs on the outer surface where it passes over the top of the water pump ... Possibly you figured out a different belt wrap???

Reply #9
Well I see ya point..... I looked at this guys link and my setup will be pretty close to his.... And his belt was close..... Look at this link... it's the picture all the way at the bottom of the page... Well I couldn't get this link to work when I posted it... But if you go back to the first person that replied to me. The link works on theirs...

ǾĐÍξ

Reply #10
That pict is of a setup without factory AC, P/S pump is mounted higher than with AC

Reply #11
Well I'll get the longer belt in the morning...... But, still something about his is more different than just the p/s pump being mounted higher.... seems like his belt routing is different than mine...I'm going by the illustration on the factory setup just missing those to pulley's...
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #12
its not like you havent had your answer all day,, you just dont listen.

78'' belt  you never once said anything earlier about bypassing the AC,, but you cant per tom unless you intend to bypass the ac then ignore my post.

you got your choice,, either do up a 78'' belt and route it exactly like your stock layout and just ignore your smog,, or over complicate this:D

Reply #13
Problem is the Mustang length belt will not fit a Bird/Coug, as the A/C, P/S bracket is different on a our cars... Per Auto Zone our stock belts are 88.25"... Since the alt, smog & tentioner bracket is same, removing the 6.5" difference shown in the above diagram should mean a 81.75" belt is required to bypass the smog pump...

BUT note the Stang wrap shown is different when bypassing the smog, your mileage may vary...

Reply #14
I just added the drawing on the top right tom because i knew thats what fit the coug,, ive noticed the stang layouts are not really that applicable to our fox's unless one is duplicating a stang setup using thier brakets as well.

we need to put together our own belt routing layouts.

the one i have on the top right is bird/coug specific with factory accy.