Skip to main content
Topic: Does anyone have a Part# For a shorter Belt? (Read 4369 times) previous topic - next topic

Does anyone have a Part# For a shorter Belt?

Reply #15
Well Yall also mentioned I might have to modify my belt tensioner by moving it to 5:00 position... I got the 78" belt this morning  and when I put it on .... I seen the clearance issue.... So do I need to cut the tit off of the back of the tensioner? On mine when my tensioner all the way down with no belt it's at the 6:00 position.... and leaving it there when you put the belt back  on it touches itself....
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #16
per my previous link i attached, i made the assumption that 78 would bolt right on,, that extra half inch made the difference.

my pn pictured below is 77'' although it measures out to be 77 1/2''
"060770"

maybe you shouldve gotten the 77'' belt i mentioned.  my thoughts were based around preventing the clearance issue when i bought this one so i knew i could modify the tensioner to allow for shorter.  78 may be just too long.
if your tensioner is too close to the other alternator band of belt, cutting the tentioner isnt going to do anything.

I only had to cut the tensioner in order to be able to install the shorter belt.  cutting the tensioner allowed me to rotate the tensioner the additional ccw motion to get the belt on.

Reply #17
here you can see where i cut the front of the tensioner to allow the black tab to travel more in order to install the belt.

Reply #18
I had to make three trips myself to different stores to get it right.  i know what your dealing with but bypassing that smog is a good idea for now.

Reply #19
got a pic of that belt on?
i will correct the drawing ,, i should have stuck to my guns on the drawing and put 77'' on there since thats what actually is working now on my stock setup.

Reply #20
here is a pic with everything in place...... and it shows I have no clearance when the tensioner on ..... Pic was taken with camera phone... Don't know how good the quality is ...
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #21
Here's three more pics if it helps..... Maybe my tensioner is just super strong or something....
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #22
here's another photo with no belt and the tensioner hanging normally... @ 6:00 position..
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #23
measure that belt,, i cant believe thats a 78'' belt and bottoms out like that.

start measuring on the belt and just get the lenght.  something doesnt add up.

also,
whats the pn of the belt,, cant seem to make heads or tails on whats in the pic.

something like my pn i shared earlier makes sense...
6 rib belt  = 06  (two digits reserved for ribs
77'' long= 077 (three digits for metric or inches)
0= one digit for any size less than one inch

Reply #24
duralast part#790k6
  6pk2005
 6 can x 2m
 i measured the belt and got 78 3/4 ...
 They told me that was the closest one to 78" they had...
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #25
too long,, like you already dont know that.

napa is where i got mine,, guess you gotta shop around.  see if they have one closer to 77 as the one you have is closer to 79.  I take it now that a 78'' belt will work.

I suspect you could even go as low as 76.5 with the modified tensioner.
I am going back out there to take mine off just to see how much mine has stretched since i put it on way back when.

Reply #26
if your alternator were adjustable wth a threaded stud/nut like you see on a lot of diesels, all your problems would be solved and the belt you have now will work.

Reply #27
so 77"belt should be on the money?
maybe i need to take my string and tape measure with me....
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #28
77 to 77 1/2'' with a tensioner mod.  Even an 78 (measured) may work.

Reply #29
Went to a different autozone and they looked at me like I was a fool when I pulled out the string and tape measure... They didn't have a true 77" belt....I had to get my money back and go to Advanced autoparts.... Walked in told them what I needed 77" 6 rib serp belt dude walked right behind the counter brought me a belt and the rest is history.....I put it on out in the parking lot... I did have to do 1 small mod similar to yours to get enough pull on it to get it on.....DAYCO Part# 5060770
ǾĐÍξ