Skip to main content
Topic: 97 explorer (Read 3315 times) previous topic - next topic

97 explorer

OK, project black opp is under way, I've found a 97 exploder as a donor for the engine... my question is, i want to run the newer setup with the coil packs, and a manual transmission. i know the 4r70w or what ever awd tranny is computer controlled and will not be in the car, will this cause a problem? my plan is to hopefully get it this weekend and get it running outside the truck, then remove bits i don't need for the tbird. also, I'll be parting it out in the for sale section later on if you need stuff...

main question tho, newer motor and ecu with the t56 i got... any foreseeable problems?

97 explorer

Reply #1
I can't answer any questions, but was wondering if the rear end is disc, and available?
1987 TC

97 explorer

Reply #2
Seeing as I have a 97 Explorer, I'm definitely interested in seeing what you part out of it.

Good luck with your project. It's a shame that you won't be using the tranny, though. I really love the 5-speed auto. Having that extra gear makes it a lot more driveable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

97 explorer

Reply #3
Quote from: Quietleaf;299343
Seeing as I have a 97 Explorer, I'm definitely interested in seeing what you part out of it.

Good luck with your project. It's a shame that you won't be using the tranny, though. I really love the 5-speed auto. Having that extra gear makes it a lot more driveable.

4R70W is a 4 speed.

97 explorer

Reply #4
Quote from: tirefryr;299345
4R70W is a 4 speed.

he must have the 4.0L V6 which had the 5R55 tranny.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

97 explorer

Reply #5
I thought about that, but he was disappointed the OP wasn't using the 4R70W, so I assumed he had the P engine/tranny combo as well. 

I do like the 5R55 though.

97 explorer

Reply #6
Yup, sorry for my mistake. I have the V6.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

97 explorer

Reply #7
you will eventually want to change cams. its a truck engine and the cam has all low end power. other then that i've heard the valvesprings float really bad in higher rpm so you'd want to change those. utilizing the coil packs (someone correct me if im wrong) might cause complications in upgrading the ECU later on. the coil packs i believe use eec-5 not eec-4 (4 was more versitile/less complicated thus more popular) theres a lot of info on the explorer engine on corral.net has some really good threads as well as the other mustang forums im sure. sorry i dunno if linking is allowed here pm me if you want me to give you a really good explorer engine thread.  also know that the gt-40p heads on that engine will need a lot of attentions as far as getting the headers to fit properly around the new sparkplug angle. just a few things to think about but to answer your question i dont think computer-transmission communication is  required to function at least but im going on a limb by saying that (someone please verify)

97 explorer

Reply #8
hmm thanks, yeah i know the cams  lol, but before i put the motor in it's getting torn down and rebuilt. i got a guy thats shaving the heads and doing some porting and new springs, guides, ect... motor will probably be a 306 when its done too with a aftermarket cam. ill keep you all updated, i havent seen it done before, possibly cause it looks like its gonna be a pain in the ass lol...

97 explorer

Reply #9
The Sploder EEC will be looking for the shift solenoids in the original auto tranny and will set a code(probably several)... Still based on I ran a automatic EEC from a 4cyl Stang in a 5speed without difficulty I don't think it would be a problem...

I got around the codes by connecting a #194 bulb from a power source to the shift solenoid output of the EEC... Stupid computer didn't know the difference, and no longer set a code... The bulb would light up whenever the EEC thought it should be applying O/D...

I see no reason you couldn't do the same, but will likely need 4-5 bulbs...

97 explorer

Reply #10
I just used an A9P and the distributor from my stock 5.0. It was much easier;)

I used the FMS GT40P headers with my heads. They, uh, *fit* around the stock motor mounts ok but I had to do some grinding on the driver's side mount. They make spark plug changes soooo easy though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

97 explorer

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;299520
I just used an A9P and the distributor from my stock 5.0. It was much easier;)

Me too.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

97 explorer

Reply #12
The explorer cam is not at all a bad cam.  They're peak power is rated at 4200rpm with P heads and 4700rpm with the standard GT40's.  Stock HO's peak out around 4000-4200rpm.  The common misconception is that since it's an SUV is that it has a "truck cam"...the old "truck cams" were Standard Output 5.0 cams...the Explorer/Mountaineer cam is a far cry from the SO cam.

I believe the P headed engine is around 217ish HP...with a stupid restrictive set of exhaust manifolds, some guys are claiming gains of 30+ hp from just headers/exhaust.  The cam is NOT the big restriction on that engine.

Nate, good luck to you buddy!

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

97 explorer

Reply #13
I was under the ASSumption that the truck cams placed in between our SO cams, and the HO version...?

My 2 wheel drive '92 F-150 will flat pull away from any standard output 5.0 Tbird....stock, that is.

Then again...that ain't sayin' a whole helluva lot, lol

Anywho, I may be wrong with that notion, but it seems like I read that somewhere once...many moons ago..

FWIW, '92 5.0 (truck) was rated at 185hp, 270 lb.ft....
We all know what an '88 Tbird/Cougar (Sport-XR7) is-was rated at,
as well as the Mustang..

The trucks have/had 19# injectors, and E7 heads, so it would seem logical that the cams for trucks would place somewhere between the HO, and the SO versions...of course, they're ground for more torque, obviously...but...just for a comparison's sake.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

97 explorer

Reply #14
I believe that up to '93(maybe even all the way up to '95) all 5.0 trucks used the same grind as the HO...what gives it a bit more power is the heads and freer flowing intake.  Also, the pick-ups will have much better than 2.73 gears(in most cases).  The later truck/Explorer cam is a real hot rod cam compared to the SO unit.

I'm not saying to go out and buy up all the Explorer/Mountaineer cams you can, but if you're building a mild little daily driver or even a low-budget weekend tire fryer...it's a decent cam and it's really not necessary to swap it out...

...but I know Nate...he's trying to build something a little bit more serious than that...lol.

Good luck Nate!

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads