Skip to main content
Topic: 97 explorer (Read 3314 times) previous topic - next topic

97 explorer

Reply #15
I have an Explorer cam on the work bench.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Hey Nate

Reply #16
If you want to replace your springs, which you should, I have a set of low-mileage Crane springs I'd sell you for $20 plus shipping.  If you're interested, let me know.
William

97 explorer

Reply #17
That's a killer deal for valve springs.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

97 explorer

Reply #18
Quote from: vinnietbird;299890
That's a killer deal for valve springs.

It is, if they meet the requirements of his cam.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

97 explorer

Reply #19
CAM INFO: 

Specs for the Explorer cam for those interested are as follows:

Lobe lift: Intake - .264 Exhaust - .280 Multiply by rocker arm ratio for total lift
Adv. Duration: Intake - 256 Exhaust - 266
ICL - 118
ECL - 114
LSA - 116
Intake Opens 10* ATDC
Intake Closes 66* ABDC
Exhaust Opens 66* BBDC
Exhaust Closes 20*BTDC
Overlap 30* @ advertised duration #'s

Compare with the charts below.....

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

97 explorer

Reply #20
Keep in mind that the 93 T-bird/Cougar uses the same 5.0 roller cam as the 93 Cobra....Nice junkyard find.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

97 explorer

Reply #21
Very nice...thanks Demon...saving this for my Tbird/Cougar info I'm compiling. :burnout:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

97 explorer

Reply #22
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;299539
The explorer cam is not at all a bad cam.  They're peak power is rated at 4200rpm with P heads and 4700rpm with the standard GT40's.  Stock HO's peak out around 4000-4200rpm.  The common misconception is that since it's an SUV is that it has a "truck cam"...the old "truck cams" were Standard Output 5.0 cams...the Explorer/Mountaineer cam is a far cry from the SO cam.

I believe the P headed engine is around 217ish HP...with a stupid restrictive set of exhaust manifolds, some guys are claiming gains of 30+ hp from just headers/exhaust.  The cam is NOT the big restriction on that engine.

Nate, good luck to you buddy!

-Don

Quote from: Sick88Tbird;299708
I believe that up to '93(maybe even all the way up to '95) all 5.0 trucks used the same grind as the HO...what gives it a bit more power is the heads and freer flowing intake.  Also, the pick-ups will have much better than 2.73 gears(in most cases).  The later truck/Explorer cam is a real hot rod cam compared to the SO unit.

I'm not saying to go out and buy up all the Explorer/Mountaineer cams you can, but if you're building a mild little daily driver or even a low-budget weekend tire fryer...it's a decent cam and it's really not necessary to swap it out...

...but I know Nate...he's trying to build something a little bit more serious than that...lol.

Good luck Nate!

-Don

Fellas, this is not true. The Exploder cam is a turd and is made for low end. A simple E cam swap pumps that same motor up 50 hp. The explorer cam is junk and should only be used in low RPM high torque applications. I would still prefer a stock SO cam over the explorer.

On another note, if you would like to use the coil packs, the timing cover, water pump, all accessories and brackets with associated stuff must be used. The Explorer has an integrated harmonic balancer and crank trigger system that cannot be separated.
The easiest way to would be to plug the dizzy hole with the explorer piece, and run an MSD ignition setup for DIS using the explorer or 4.6 coil packs. I would say 4.6 since the explorer has mega pricey plug wires and no aftermarket support. The real gains would not out weight the headache caused by this....stick with the A9P, factory accessories and a dizzy. My 2 cents.

97 explorer

Reply #23
Quote from: jandmmustangs;300114
Keep in mind that the 93 T-bird/Cougar uses the same 5.0 roller cam as the 93 Cobra....Nice junkyard find.

Some have the same specs as the Cobra cam...which isn't all that great either...Fords attempt at trying to have some kind of low-end torque with the GT40 iron heads.  You'd get more from an HO cam.

It's not that the Explorer cam is junk(compared to HO), but for the budget guy with an AOD, stock convertor and stockish rear gear...it's great.  Of course it'll look like junk next to an aftermarket cam, no question about it...they all do.

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

97 explorer

Reply #24
The Exploder cam is a turd and is made for low end. A simple E cam swap pumps that same motor up 50 hp.

....which would be useless in an Explorer due to the lack of low end an E-cam is known for ;) E-cam in an Explorer with a 4r70 and 3.27's........

B A D 

....And yes the 93 Cougars and Tbirds had the same cam as the 93 Cobra from the factory.  The difference is the rocker arms -- Cobra:  1.7    Cougar/Tbird:  1.6  See footnote #14 in the charts I posted.  It was a running change apparently ;)

91& 92Cougars/Tbirds had The F1 H.O. grind -- All of them.

The common misconception is that since it's an SUV is that it has a "truck cam"...the old "truck cams" were Standard Output 5.0 cams...the Explorer/Mountaineer cam is a far cry from the SO cam.

It's considered a truck cam by Ford ;)

On a side note:  Weren't the truck flat tappet cams until '94 just with the same lobe profiles as the S.O. (which WAS a roller)?

With Gt-40 heads and given the choice between SO, HO, Cobra, Explorer, and E-cam........
HO cam with 1.7 ratio rocker arms thank you very much.  :)
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

97 explorer

Reply #25
well thanks for all the input guys, looks like that explorer is junk tho... over 200k used it as a tow vehicle and smashed the hell out of it hitting a deer. also, check engine light was on before he hit it, and he messed up some of the harness and shredded the rad ect... not worth it to me to buy that one. mn12 tbirds have coil packs tho, and the "ho" engine lol... however detuned it may be, maybe ill try that instead. theres plenty of them floating around i can snag parts from.

97 explorer

Reply #26
Quote from: Nate;300362
mn12 tbirds have coil packs tho, and the "ho" engine lol...

5.0 MN-12s have coil packs??? I don't think so...

97 explorer

Reply #27
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;300374
5.0 MN-12s have coil packs??? I don't think so...

+1 They have distributors like the Fox cars.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

97 explorer

Reply #28
Quote from: V8Demon
....And yes the 93 Cougars and Tbirds had the same cam as the 93 Cobra from the factory.  The difference is the rocker arms -- Cobra:  1.7    Cougar/Tbird:  1.6  See footnote #14 in the charts I posted.  It was a running change apparently ;)

91& 92Cougars/Tbirds had The F1 H.O. grind -- All of them.:)

Not ALL had the F3ZE cam in '93, but there were plenty out there...they were also equipped with the HO cam in '93.  I believe it to be dependant on production date.

Quote from: V8Demon
On a side note:  Weren't the truck flat tappet cams until '94 just with the same lobe profiles as the S.O. (which WAS a roller)?

All 5.0 trucks were roller cammed by '92.  The 5.8's went roller in '94.

-Don

97 explorer

Reply #29
Not ALL had the F3ZE cam in '93, but there were plenty out there...they were also equipped with the HO cam in '93. I believe it to be dependant on production date.

footnote #14 in the chart  ;)