Skip to main content
Topic: Shifting Probs - Revs to 4k before shifting gears (Daily Driver) (Read 2714 times) previous topic - next topic

Shifting Probs - Revs to 4k before shifting gears (Daily Driver)

Hello,

I have an 88 XR-7, stock, that has just recently had a problem of getting up to high RPM before shifting. 

Normally it shifts at/around 2200rpm but lately, out of nowhere, it started to not shift until 3000.  After a couple days, it seemed to fix itself so I kept driving it.  Now, it has come back and seems to be worse (will not shift until 3500rpms or so).  It is shifting harder than normal, but I think it is because if the RPM its at.  It is the same for all gears, not just 1st or 2nd, so I'm guessing its not a tranny problem...

I ran the self test with the following results:

KOEO:
31 - PFE or EVP intermittent failure
63 - TPS circuit below min value 0.6v

KOER:
18 - SPOUT open or spark angle word failure
21 - ECT out of range (yes, i let it warm up before testing)
45 - Thermactor 2ndary air misdirected

I was recently doing some dizzy and timing work after pulling the dizzy to replace the thermostat and received the code 21 so it might still be a problem, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with the shifting problem.

Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem or if the codes I pulled could be causing the problem?  I was reading it might be the cable to the tranny but I am not that savvy with AOD.

Thanks in advance!!

Reply #1
May well be the TV cable for the tranny... The AOD is purely a hydraulically operated mechanical device, could care less about any code or other problem the engine may have...

Reply #2
+1

Check the TV cable. The AOD doesn't care what is wrong with your engine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Fix that right away. That is what eats transmissions in these cars.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
If you can, don't drive it until that TV cable has been fixed or else ruled out not the fault. The trans. won't last too long with it ed up.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Fix that right away
Agreed. Put a stick in it the way "god" intended and Ford ignored.:hick:.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
Like others have said, check the TV cable at the throttle body. The plastic bushing there gets brittle and breaks. If it's broken replace it with a metal one. Also check the TV cable linkage on the tranny. If the lever is sticking the tranny will behave like you're at WOT all the time (late, hard shifts)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;298461
May well be the TV cable for the tranny... The AOD is purely a hydraulically operated mechanical device, could care less about any code or other problem the engine may have...

Quote from: thunderjet302;298468
+1

Check the TV cable. The AOD doesn't care what is wrong with your engine.

Quote from: Haystack;298502
Fix that right away. That is what eats transmissions in these cars.

Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;298504
If you can, don't drive it until that TV cable has been fixed or else ruled out not the fault. The trans. won't last too long with it ed up.

What they said.........:D
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #8
i had the plastic bushing root out on my 87 years back and the car didn’t last 2-3 miles like that. but it did have 170xxx on it point is Liston to what there saying. i needed a rebuild.

Reply #9
Quote from: flipnbird;298515
What they said.........:D

its the black cable next to the accelerator cable attached to the throttle body. It will be plastic and squareish the bushing/grommet  might be white.

Reply #10
thanks!  I'll check the TV cable today..wish me luck!

Reply #11
It will look like the one on the bottom......................
http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #12
Ok so I accidentally broke the rail on the throttle cable bracket part of the TV (kickdown) cable...Anyone know where the best place to find one is?  Junkyard I'm guessing...

Also, There is a problem with the throttle cable, so as I am removing it, I can see one end goes to the gas pedal and the other goes into the body of the driver's side fender...WHERE DOES THAT GO?  I can not locate it for the death of me...

Also, I believe that the pedal cable has a crimp on it to keep it from being sloppy that is not doing its job...easiest repair?

Reply #13
The one going into the fenderwell is tugged on by the cruise control servo to open the throttle. No worries there:D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #14
Junk yards would be your best bet. You can still get NOS TV cables from some dealers around the country (last time I checked there were about 10 dealers that still had one, after I bought mine it's down to 9). They cost $95 for a new one.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.