Skip to main content
Topic: SVO Capri (Read 6471 times) previous topic - next topic

SVO Capri

I know it's not a Bird or Cat, but it's what I have. Being a single Dad, my 2 kids and I enjoy beating up on the ricers and some V-8s in the area with his one.

Was at one time the proud owner of 2-1986 T-Bird Turbo Coupes.....both were awesome rides.
1985 Capri 75% SVO Mustang
2.3, T3, Ported lower, gutted, rotated, and extended upper intake, Ported head, Ported E6 exhaust manifold, 35# injectors, 65mm TB, 255lph Walbro, FMIC, Underdrive crank pulley, adjustable Racer Walsh cam gear, 24# of boost, full 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 40 series ler. SVO 3.73 Traction-Loc Disc brake rear, WC 5-speed, Hurst Shifter, Front coil-over conversion, Sub-frame connectors. 275-50R15 Nitto Drag Radials and Skinnies in the front. Still a work in progress.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SVO Capri

Reply #1
good looking car. I think if you painted the middle front of the hood grey, it would really tie in alot better. Maybe not. Any mods?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

SVO Capri

Reply #2
Great looking car.I always did like those better than Mustangs.I also like the bubble back window and tail lights.Very nice !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

SVO Capri

Reply #3
I too have liked the Capri a bit more than the stang, especially when it's as nice as yours is.
That is sweet.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

SVO Capri

Reply #4
I miss my Capri......
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

SVO Capri

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;294597
good looking car. I think if you painted the middle front of the hood grey, it would really tie in alot better. Maybe not. Any mods?

Haystack....look at my signature for the mods to the car and motor. I played around with colors before giving the painter the go-ahead on this. The top (although it is hard to make out) is pearl white and the bottom of course is silver. The hood cut-out follows some bodylines which don't line up with anything down the front, so I had him just do an old school style cut-out.

FordTruckFreeek, vinnietbird, 86caprirs, Thanks...I like the car also because it is really different. Unique looking car with the SVO nose and hood, and a few other panels. With the cars stance and appearance most ask what is under the hood? They expect a 5.0 or the likes, and are pleasantly surprised when I show them the 2.3T. Then there are those that are really surprised when they see it run. :burnout: Again I like it cause it's different.
2.3, T3, Ported lower, gutted, rotated, and extended upper intake, Ported head, Ported E6 exhaust manifold, 35# injectors, 65mm TB, 255lph Walbro, FMIC, Underdrive crank pulley, adjustable Racer Walsh cam gear, 24# of boost, full 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 40 series ler. SVO 3.73 Traction-Loc Disc brake rear, WC 5-speed, Hurst Shifter, Front coil-over conversion, Sub-frame connectors. 275-50R15 Nitto Drag Radials and Skinnies in the front. Still a work in progress.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SVO Capri

Reply #6
It's a shame you couldn't keep the Capri fenders.
It's Gumby's fault.

SVO Capri

Reply #7
Quote from: Tbird232ci;294815
It's a shame you couldn't keep the Capri fenders.

Dude,
I know it's hard to see cause of angle, light, and paint color...but the car retains all of the Capri fenders and quarter panels. The bulges stayed...and I get compliments on them all the time. :D

SVO Capri

Reply #8
Sweet looking car you have there. What does it run in the 1/4 mile?

20006 Ford Fusion SE

SVO Capri

Reply #9
I missed the last track day with my car club this past Sunday, because I broke a slider (rocker arm) the day before. :mad: Even though these are non-interference motors, I didn't want to go 2 hours one way to the track without finding out if there was any cylinder or valve damage. I was getting oil in the cylinder, and the only thing I could come up with is that because it was an intake slider that broke, it was drawing oil past the valve seal and through the guide. My guess would be mid to low 12s.:burnout:

SVO Capri

Reply #10
Very nice, I've never seen a Capri with a SVO nose before. It looks like you used the axles and brakes as well.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

SVO Capri

Reply #11
Quote from: SVO Capri;294874
the car retains all of the Capri fenders and quarter panels.

Looking at the wheel openings you can see it.....at least I can.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

SVO Capri

Reply #12
Oh I don't think they'd like you on FEP. Me on the other hand, I like it. I have a hard time seeing an SVO front end on it and a bubble hatch but it is neat.

SVO Capri

Reply #13
I think it is an interesting mix of parts to create a phantom look that looks factory but is not. I have always liked such modifications on cars, such as one I have seen with a 1983-86 LTD front end on a 79-83 Fairmont Futura Coupe. Also, I love seeing a 1977-79 Tbird front end on the same year Rancheros. Then there is the one FoxCat member who put a Cougar nose on a Tbird. Well, when I had my 1989 Tbird, I updated the front end with 1996-97 style parts but chose the Cougar front bumper cover and chrome hood molding to create a different look than usual. All I did was leave out the Cougar grille and fill it with a honeycomb grille mesh and a 1996-97 Tbird grille emblem.

SVO Capri

Reply #14
86XR7project,
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is FEP?

From what I can tell someone in the car's past must have had an SVO that maybe got hit in the rear beyond repair. There are many SVO items on this car. For instance the sail panels, side spats, lower rocker moldings, instrument cluster, steering wheel, e-brake handle, left foot dead pedal, rear seats, door panels, hurst shifter, FULL SVO suspension, right down to the date coded 1985 Koni shocks, quadra-shock 7.5 5 lug disc-brake rear w/3.73 gears, front sway bar, WC T-5, the SVO motor, and of course the hood and nose.

The guy I bought it from had no idea of it's history. I contacted Ford to search the archives and find the build sheet for that VIN, I thought it may have been a factory experimental. From my knowledge Ford didn't make an SVO Capri. Someone really did an extensive parts swap. Everything looks so natural, like it belongs.

Ford sent me back paperwork on the VIN and the body was built as a 5.0 automatic car. So my dreams of a rare car were shot down....oh well.

I display it at car shows with other mustangs from our car club and it ALWAYS draws a crowd.

For those going to the All Mustang and Ford Round-up in Silver Springs, FL, this coming January 9 & 10, the car will be there for all to see.