Skip to main content
Topic: gt40P heads and stock manifolds (Read 7024 times) previous topic - next topic

gt40P heads and stock manifolds

Reply #15
.WILL MY CAST IRON MANIFOLDS WORK!!!!

Doubt it, with the P's plug angle.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #16
I know a set of hipo 289 early stang manifolds work on P heads..But will ours.  I have a chance on getting either a gt40P or gt40 explorer engine..Id rathe rget the P if it's better however the gt40 engine will be a no brainer and the intake will have the EGR

Reply #17
Quote from: V8Demon;289239
P's also have a slightly smaller combustion chamber....

Forgot about that.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
If you take Stock Mustang manifolds/headers and massage the tubes in a little you can run them on P heads with 90* boots. Local guy was trying to sell some, they fit, I just wouldnt swap head to run choked exhaust.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #19
So after much reading it seems the general consensus is to def go with the P head....I can get either motor for the same price. $450.....Now if I have to go splurge on P headers I am going to be fuming..Especially if they are mounted to a factory HO H pipe and the factory 88 xr7 lers and pee shooters...... YES I WOULD DO THAT!

Reply #20
If you go w/ an explorer motor you’re going to wana change the cam. Keep it simple stay away from the p’s. But you’re going to have another problem nobody here put the p-head on the E6 motor there is a guy here that put the GT 40s on but didn’t mill.
My advice for an ultimate sleeper to beat your friend. Right of the bat your lighter then him so equal HP you win. He’s around 195hp. so you take an entire mustang E7 drive train motor and tranny and transplant. No hide it put on your stamp steel valve covers and plenum plate. Port the hell out of your exhaust manifold and that will restrict you the most of the 225 hp you should be getting. But unless he looks at you firing order he will never tell. And swaping a whole motor can be just as hard as doing heads especially if you might have clearance issues.

Reply #21
If it were me, $450 is alot to pay for if your just going to get heads. I bought e7's from a junkyard for about $35 each, and would have went with gt40's if they had any. Prices might be different there, but for $450 you could have the whole mustang engine setup almost.

I would also get the gt-40's over the p's because you *should* be able to run your current exhaust setup. They should have the same plug angle, so you should be able to run them as is.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #22
I am getting the complete explorer motor for $450 with a 1 year warrenty. I can get the gt40 explorer motor also but the p heads are better.  And I am putting in the factory HO mustang cam in.  Seems to be a nice stock idleing nice power combo from what I read.  Also changing valvesprings locks and retainers.

My buddy will have no idea what hes looking at and I wont be popping the hood anyway.  I just want it to sound stock which is quiet for my own personal amusp00get. 

Ill end up telling my buddy what I did eventually and may at some point in the future do the exhaust. 

Ive seen stock gt40P engines with the HO cam putting down 260rwhp plus...So Im confident whatever I get out of this it will be more then enough....But well see

Then for under $1000 I will be racing his 305rwhp Marauder....And if I beat that hes going to kill himself bahaha..I have a nitrous kit to take care of that.

And if anyone local needs e7 heads..I have plenty

I was actually originally going to do the HO part sswap....But for $450....Its a steal in my opinion

Reply #23
Do any of you guys in Long Island  have stock manifolds I can borrow?

Reply #24
personally, if your really planning on upgrading the motor, the heads are the most expensive part. I would get good heads over a nitrous kit. If you already have it thats one think, but a good set of heads will grow with your combo if you ever want to further it.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #25
Explorer motor not only has the gt40  or P heads but also the cast gt 40 explorer intake 65mm tb.  so for 450..AN explorer motor is a bargain..Thats why I am going this route.  There is nothing I wil do after this..Thats it!

Reply #26
well good luck. Smart choice with the H.O. cam btw.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #27
Below in my sig click on my link to my motor picks if this guy can’t tell your spark plug angle he’s might not get the difference of an explorer intake. Just put on the stock plenum plate it bolts on and don’t paint it.

Reply #29
Im in Queens by the Whitestone bridge.  I really want to get the P headed motor however getting headers and new exhaust isnt in the budget now regardless.  So if the manifolds work with P heads great..If not I may just pu tteh kabosh on this...Or get the gt40 motor