Skip to main content
Topic: quiet high flow exhast system (Read 2702 times) previous topic - next topic

quiet high flow exhast system

I am getting ready to upgrde my exhaust system on my 88 3.8L and I'm going to cut off the cats and run true duals out the back.:burnout:
My question is does anybody know a ler I can use to keep it quiet as possible while still letting it flow? I know without cats it will be hard to keep it quieter but I'm still gonna try...  I would love to let it scream :evilgrin: but my neighbors and landlord would be VERY UN-happy when I leave for work every morning! :flame:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #1
I would say some dynomax turbo lers would be alright.  As long as you aren't reaching for the red-line when you take off, it will be alright.  It won't be loud, but it will flow and you will get a deeper tone out of it.  I had them on my old 88 3.8 with true duals, and I liked the sound.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #2
Magnaflow??? Not sure with a V6
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #3
One inherent problem with the V6 is that if you get lots of flow, and not enough back pressure, you'll suck the bottom end torque right out of that engine.  The V6 NEEDS some back pressure to develop the torque.  Sounds crazy, I know, but I can tell the difference in the bottom end of the two 3.8's I have.  One has a cat-back split that's chopped off in front of the axel, and the other has full stock exhaust.  All V6's do with high flow exhaust is make bad noise.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #4
Dynomax also makes quite-flow lers. They're a turbo type ler and arent much louder than stock.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #5
take a look at this..
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

Reply #6
If you're running the stock cast manifolds, you don't have to worry about backpressure nearly as much.

Like mentioned before, I would run some super turbos.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
Quote from: Tbird232ci;286771
If you're running the stock cast manifolds, you don't have to worry about backpressure nearly as much.

Like mentioned before, I would run some super turbos.

I agree back pressure is overrated as long as your exhaust system is complete you will be fine.

Reply #8
Quote from: Innes;286854
I agree back pressure is overrated as long as your exhaust system is complete you will be fine.

Pressure wave tuning.

Read these:
 http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=19019

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index.html
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
sarjxxx  im in the same position as you  about to get a true dual and all  and since im limited in space because of the fuel filter  they guy at the shop suggested  hushpower 2 lers  since they are narrower      but i dont know what they sound like has anyoe experienced them

Reply #10
Quote from: Old_Paint;286700
One inherent problem with the V6 is that if you get lots of flow, and not enough back pressure, you'll suck the bottom end torque right out of that engine.  The V6 NEEDS some back pressure to develop the torque.  Sounds crazy, I know, but I can tell the difference in the bottom end of the two 3.8's I have.  One has a cat-back split that's chopped off in front of the axel, and the other has full stock exhaust.  All V6's do with high flow exhaust is make bad noise.

NO BACK PRESSURE IS ALWAYS BETTER!!!! You need to richen up the A/F ratio to take advantage of the increased flow...

Reply #11
Remember without cats, if you run your car for ANY length of time in a closed area you (end everything made of cloth around you) WILL smell very strong like exhaust. I've stood next to older idling cars w/o cats and sometimes the exhaust will make your eyes water.

Here's a thought...how about run just high flow cats and no lers? Not sure if you have any emissions testing in Canada, but w/o cats you probably won't pass...unless it's a VERY well tuned engine and fully warmed up.  And then it's a "maybe" depending on the level of test they run...

My $0.02
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Reply #12
I appreciate all the advice everyone. Mine does still has factory manifolds on it :( so I'm just trying to do is open up what I can...my low end already sucks anyway so I'm not to worried about that but I want to free up some pressure cause I just installed a BRAND NEW sparkly engine and I don't want to ruin her early and I've heard that less backpressure helps... plus I can get a few more horses out of it that way. At least in the higher end if nothing. My problem is just trying to get it to sound mean without alerting unwanted lawful attention. As far as what the other guy is talking about, you probably WON'T pass inspection w/out cats. Not with these cars. Mine seems to burn dirty even with the new engine. Luckily... Florida doesn't have inspections. BTW, how do you play witht the a/f ratio in this car I have been wondering that for a while. Do you have to go spend lotsa $$ on an expensive ecu tuner or is it simpler than that?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;286938
NO BACK PRESSURE IS ALWAYS BETTER!!!! You need to richen up the A/F ratio to take advantage of the increased flow...

and the 88 3.8L has no adjustment to the fuel pres regulator unlike the 87 and earlier.

Reply #14
flow tech makes a ler called a raptor they are very quiet
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication