Skip to main content
Topic: Help! new to the site. I have a 88 XR7 tail lights do not work. (Read 1927 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! new to the site. I have a 88 XR7 tail lights do not work.

My tail lights don't work. 88' XR7 reverse, blinkers, and brake lights do work. Any ideas of where to start would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reply #1
welcome, did you check the fuse panel?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
Welcome to the site! x2 on the fusepanel and reccomend you check your lights

Reply #3
Hi, and welcome!!!! I had the same issiue,,, but it was the brake light switch on the brake pedal... it connects right at the booster rod/ brake, has two wires coming off it..
They are only $6, but before you buy a new one, take it off the bars, and press in on the gold color part, and have someone else check to see if the lights work.. ive been having an issiue with the switch needing shims for the booster, it doesnt quite push the switch enough to turn the lights on...
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #4
I'm wondering if it's the headlight switch...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I say we start at the fuse, then bulbs, then switches, then wiring
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
Brake light switch would not preclude the signals from working, and neither would be affected by the headlight switch. The backup lights would be an independent circuit as well. I'm guessing multple problems, or a bad ground to the tail lights.

First place to check is the fuse panel. You may have several blown fuses, or if the car's ever had a water leak you may have corrosion in the panel. Also check the fusible links out at the starter solenoid, as one link may feed all of those circuits (I don't have my EVTM handy, so I'm only guessing). Is there a trailer light connector on the car? Check it for corrosion and shorts that may have blown fuses.

Does your heater fan work? Gauges? If they don't, you need an ignition switch, which feeds all of those circuits (except the brake circuit, more on that below) and is a known issue with these cars (you may be able to get it replaced free, the 88's were recalled).

The brake lights are probably a separate issue, and it's likely the broken wire at the top of the brake light switch. They get brittle over time and break off, causing you to lose your brake lights, and you'll never notice them not working until somebody points it out to you.

Question: The brake, turn signal and stop lights don't work, but what about the park lights? License plate lights?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Guys, he says just the taillights don't work:hick:.  Do your dash lights work? If not, probably a fuse.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #8
If the front parking lights work, the headlight switch is good.

The brake lights work, so it's not the ground. Brake and tail lights use the same ground.

That narrows it down to fuse #15
Your license plate lights should also be not working.

Reply #9
Thanks guys for all the suggestions ill let you know tomorrow what i find.

Reply #10
Oh, shiznit, I misread the first post - I thought he said his brake, backup and turn signals don't work (IE, he had nothing at all back there). Please disregard my previous post :mullet:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;285909
Oh, shiznit, I misread the first post - I thought he said his brake, backup and turn signals don't work (IE, he had nothing at all back there). Please disregard my previous post :mullet:

X2 im an idiot...........
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #12
The fuse is good how do I check the switch. Does anyone have any diagrams that could possibly help me?

Reply #13
If the front parking lights come on the switch should be good.
Is the wiring virgin or  has it been messed with?
Connector C513 in the diagram just below fuse #15 is one of the connectors behind the fuse panel. It should be a gray eight terminal connector.
Do you have a meter to trouble shoot with?

Reply #14
The fuse is ok. How would I go about checking the switch? Does anyone have any wire diagrams that may be helpful?