Skip to main content
Topic: Help! new to the site. I have a 88 XR7 tail lights do not work. (Read 1926 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! new to the site. I have a 88 XR7 tail lights do not work.

Reply #15
Yes I have a meter. Sorry I asked the same question twice. Thank you verry much for the diagram!!!

Reply #16
One obvious check is make sure the bulbs are all seated properly in the sockets. I cannot tell you how many times I have found bulbs loose or not twisted all the way clockwise. This will prevent the contact on the end of the bulb from being in the right position to power the running lamps.

Do your license plate lamps work at all?

It seems established that the common ground works for all bulbs since the brakes lamps and turn signals function.

If you don't get 12V on the running lamp contact inside the bulb socket, then there may be a break or short in the brown wire going through the wiring harness heading to the front of the car up to the headlamp switch.

It appears that the headlamp switch uses the same circuit for all the front parking lamps and rear running lamps including the rear side markers and license plate, so I would be looking at the brown wire in the rear body panel wiring harness and the connector in the left rear trunk that seperates the rear body panel harness from the body harness that runs along the driver's side of the car to the headlamp switch.

Reply #17
license plate lamps are also out.

Reply #18
I have no voltage at the tail light or license plate sockets. I guessing they share the same ground. Does anyone know where I could find it?

Reply #19
Do your front lamps (parking lights) work?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
Yes everything works cept my tail lights and my license plate lights.

Reply #21
Quote from: Jack Semper Fi;286114
Yes everything works cept my tail lights and my license plate lights.

The wiring harness runs down the driver's side of the car into the trunk compartment on the same side. Look for the connector that separates that harness from the taillamp harness that runs accross the rear body panel. The brown wire in the harness should be getting 12v. at the connector pin that comes from the front. If no 12v there then there must be broken connection between the headlamp switch and the rear harness connector.

If you get 12v at the left side harness connector, then check for continuity between the rear taillamp panel harness connector and any one of the bulb socket dim filament contacts. The wiring for all the running lamps likely runs in series from the left taillamp, to the license plate lamps then the right taillamp. I'd look for the first connection in the left taillamp wiring.

I wish I could help you in person, I could have this diagnosed in minutes for you!

Reply #22
Thanks guys ill let you know what I find. I don't get much time to work on it. Im a student and a father of 3.

Reply #23
Thank you! Thank you it was a bad splice in the brown wire behind the switch.

Reply #24
Glad to hear you got that sorted out!