Skip to main content
Topic: what oil do you guys use? (Read 2573 times) previous topic - next topic

what oil do you guys use?

Reply #15
FWIW, Both Royal Purple and Joe Gibbs make oil specifically for break in purposes.  I believe AMSoil does as well.  The JG break in has 2500 ppm.  That's NOT a typo.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #16
Picked up some Rotella T 15-40 weight for my 302 flat tappet.  Better safe than sorry.  I intend to run 10-40 or 15-40 for the life of the engine (if it lives past startup :P)

Reply #17
I love Wal-Mart but I regret it every time I go there
I think I’m telling myself something.

Reply #18
Quote from: Blackbird1;271325
If you have a good coating of assembly lube on the cam, you should be fine regardless. It's a good idea to brake in a new engine with conventional oil. What weight depends on the engine. I change the oil and filter after the first 100 miles or so and then again at 500. Then if you want to switch to synthetic, after the first 3000.

My understanding was the engine only needed it for a break-in period that’s why they took it out. If I recall the story correct, it was a few years ago and it was my friend’s sbc but the machine/engine shop said he had to put an additive in specifically for the cam and for break-in and its not in oil anymore. it was to Harding the cam if I remember right.

Reply #19
there is a company that makes the zddp additive for you to add to [your own] oil. cant remember the name i dont have the bottles anymore(gave them to my sister when she took the car) but thats what scroogle is for.
if you were very nit-picky and have the dough there are even shops that will make oil for your car specifically.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #20
Any engine with a flat tappet or slider cam, at any mileage is flirting with disaster using the latest oils... This is especially true if running high lifts and spring pressures...

Reply #21
Quote from: Ductape91;271473
there is a company that makes the zddp additive for you to add to [your own] oil

http://www.zddplus.com/

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #22
Ok so the standard for the 2.3 motor seems to be 10w30 oil.  Should I go with synthetic or standard oil? Should I buy that addictive folks are talking about?

Reply #23
I'm going to try this out in the car:
Turbo Diesel Mobil 1 Synthetic

Reply #24
Wow mobil 1 turbo diesel 5w30 synthetic at autozone is $7/qt.

Do you guys think I should give rotella t a whirl and throw in that zddp additive?

Should I get synthetic or conventional?

Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I am.  In my '85 TC I'd just use castrol high mileage.

Reply #25
if your car isnt leaking anywhere use the synthetic. i never had any problems/leaks/whatever using it in my mustang with the 2.3l motor, i never used an additive in it.
with the rotella you probly wouldnt need to use an additive, my choice for diesel oil was the stuff my buddy used to get me from CAT(the brand was CAT). the gearheads there had no issues using it in their own rides. we beat the hell out of an old integra for about two years(about 60k city driving) using it and never had any shavings in the filter or screen.
if you want to pay more for the same thing go ahead and use the mobil one or red line stuff, ive had no problems using the cheapo supertech stuff.
to me oil is like gas, some brands cost more and work alittle better than others but when it comes down to it they are all basically the same stuff and do the same thing.
opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one and this one is mine:hick:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #26
Quote from: Ductape91;271858
if your car isnt leaking anywhere use the synthetic. i never had any problems/leaks/whatever using it in my mustang with the 2.3l motor, i never used an additive in it.
with the rotella you probly wouldnt need to use an additive, my choice for diesel oil was the stuff my buddy used to get me from CAT(the brand was CAT). the gearheads there had no issues using it in their own rides. we beat the hell out of an old integra for about two years(about 60k city driving) using it and never had any shavings in the filter or screen.
if you want to pay more for the same thing go ahead and use the mobil one or red line stuff, ive had no problems using the cheapo supertech stuff.
to me oil is like gas, some brands cost more and work alittle better than others but when it comes down to it they are all basically the same stuff and do the same thing.
opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one and this one is mine:hick:

the only place I have a leak at right now is the valve cover gasket.  which I plan to replace over the weekend (weather pending).

that rotella T in 10w30 is a b*tch to find!

I'll check the car for leaks and if there is none, I'll run synthetic.

Reply #27
15w40 shell rotella

JMO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #28
Auto Zone in PA, at least, is having a sale where you buy any 5 qts of mobil 1 oil and get a bosch oil filter for $29.  I'm going to get 5 qts of the turbo diesel 5w30 synthetic and a bosch filter tomorrow.

Reply #29
Valvolne 10w-30 with a quart of Lucas and a Motorcraft oil filter.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)