Skip to main content
Topic: what oil do you guys use? (Read 2574 times) previous topic - next topic

what oil do you guys use?

I just picked up a real nice and clean '87 TC and the owner had mentioned it'll be needing an oil change real soon, which is no problem.

I'm wondering what oil you guys use for 2.3 motors?

I think I used to use high mileage castrol 10w40 in my '85.

Reply #1
Cant go wrong with 75w tractor oil!

Reply #2
Quote from: Grumbles;271240
Cant go wrong with 75w tractor oil!

Uh.....no thanks.

Well if it's stock, it still has the slider cam.  The word on the street is that a lot of the newer oils are containing less and less ZDDP (zinc) which a slider cam needs.  Some of the diesel oils still contain moderate amounts of ZDDP.  The Shell Rotella T (std and synthetic) is one of the main brands.  The std is a 15W40 and the sythetic is a 5W30 or something like that.

If it has a roller cam, you don't need to worry about it all that much, as the zinc content isn't critical.

That all being said, I've usually used std Valvoline 10W30 dino oil in my cars.  My 2.3T has a roller cam in it now though too, but even before I used the std Valvoline in it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
I switched to Mobil One from regular oil about 15 years ago. I noticed a drop in water temperature and if my car would sit for more 2 weeks in between starts, I would get some “lifter tick” upon start-up that went away when I switched to synthetic.

Speaking of diesel labeled oil vs. regular labeled oil and the requirement by the EPA with the reduction of zinc; an engineer friend of mine was talking to Mobil One just last week about it and he was told that their Turbo Diesel Mobile One synthetic has 1100 ppm of zinc and regular Mobil One has 100 ppm.

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #4
Mobil 1.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Mobil One in the Mustang.

Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil in the Cougar 1400+ ppm zinc.  You're gonna pay though. $10 a quart...
http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/hotrod/index.html

Read this thread:  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=21617
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
10W30 Mobil One in the 88 T-bird.

The 95 gets 5W30 Valvoline/Pensoil/Quaker State. What ever is on sale at the time ;)

I always use Motorcraft oil filters in all my Fords.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Motor is stock.  So the general replies seem to be 10w30 mobil one.

Thanks all

Reply #8
newer oils have next to no zddp in it.  catlyitic convertors :flame:
ill use supertech full synthetic 10-30w now with a zddp additive put in and, depending on the vehical, ill also use that cheapy accel brand stuff(also at walmart) meant for 88 and older motors if i dont have any of said additive. i only use motorcraft filters on my fords.
i dont run a race car and change my oil frequently enough that the cheap stuff works just fine.
one oil i wont use is that "Q" synthetic stuff, that  looks and flows like water.
mobil one is good oil but to me it doesnt justify the extra cost when the cheap stuff works about the same.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #9
What is this, a case of monkey see -- monkey do???

Chuck stated a 2.3 ZDDP to protect the slider cam... Next Brent stated Mobil 1 only has 100ppm while the Diesel Synthetic has 1100ppm(which is approx the amount in all oils 8-10 years ago)... Myself, I only use oils in my vehicles with the diesel ratings, as it's supposed to contain a full concentration of ZDDP...

Reply #10
I should reiterate that my car has a roller cam in it now, so next oil change it will be getting a synthetic regardless of ZDDP...just used up the last gallon I had sitting here of the Valvoline dino 10W30.

I will say that both my Scorpio and turbo Volvo have sliders in them and I plan on changing the oil used in them.  I have a couple gallons of std Rotella T that I will be using in the Scorp this weekend and after looking at that Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Synthetic, the turbo Volvo will be getting that on it's next change.  I'll eventually use that in the Scorpio as well I imagine for the next change after this.

I would recommend the synthetic Rotella T (I hear you can get it @ Walmart...I refuse to shop Walmart, so I don't know) or the Turbo Diesel Mobil 1 Synthetic.  Autozone appears to have that...runs about $7/qt.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #11
So...can anybody make a recommendation about a good diesel oil to break my motor in on?  I dont want to wipe the cam on initial startup :/.  Will any Diesel oil contain more ZDDP than standard oil?

Reply #12
If you have a good coating of assembly lube on the cam, you should be fine regardless. It's a good idea to brake in a new engine with conventional oil. What weight depends on the engine. I change the oil and filter after the first 100 miles or so and then again at 500. Then if you want to switch to synthetic, after the first 3000.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

Reply #13
i refuse to shop walmart
+1
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;271313

I would recommend the synthetic Rotella T (I hear you can get it @ Walmart...I refuse to shop Walmart, so I don't know) or the Turbo Diesel Mobil 1 Synthetic.  Autozone appears to have that...runs about $7/qt.

yes, they sell it there but in a 4 qt bottle. its usually around $10-12 bucks. they have other brands of diesel oil there as well.
as far as i can tell the oil i buy from them didnt come from china so im okay getting it from there.
i wouldnt get my milk from there though:mullet:

as for the OP question, as long as nothing is leaking horribly and you clean off the oil pickup screen thingy youll be fine with any 5 or 10-30w oil dino or sythetic.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible