Skip to main content
Topic: T Bird C5 swap but driveshaft wont fit (Read 3325 times) previous topic - next topic

T Bird C5 swap but driveshaft wont fit

spent a few weeks searching the internet on this.

Ended up with a 1984 Tbird that has a "rebuilt C5" installed but not finished because "the driveshaft wont fit".

Apparently it originally had a C5, so I was thinking maybe they put in a C4 or ??? It looks just like a C5 though. Can't find many differences to identify.

The problem is that while the driveshaft slip yoke slides onto the output shaft of the transmission all the way down to its original position, it won't fit back on to the differential yoke by about an inch too long. Cant get the drive shaft onto the transmission any further, and the shiny part lines up with the seal, so I know its going in as far as it used to.

The only non-original part is the  "rebuilt transmission" so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to identify whether or not its actually a C5 and/ or there were changes made to the length of a C5 etc.

Will probably have to try to shorten the driveshaft unless someone has a better suggestion.
Any ideas?

Reply #1
Maybe its a t5, i know alot of guys on here have done those, but idk,..... good luck, youll get youre answer soon!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #2
The code for the original transmission is on the vehicle certification label. This is on the driver's door jamb.

Under TR it's the first character of the 5 character code.
V= C3
C= C5
T= AOD
2= Manual 5-speed
7= Manual 4-speed

Reply #3
Seems a bit strange you can't get it past the wear mark. You could cut the yoke down some since your talking an inch. but I would ?? whats different.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
A stang driveshaft is shorter but I do not know by how much.  Maybe one of those would work.  Someone here should know how much shorter they are.

Reply #5
or a custom driveshaft made from an alluminum areostar driveshaft.

We need to know for sure what the old motor was and how close the new one is the the origonal. If you still have the old one, measure them both side by side and post pictures.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Are you sure the D/S is for the car?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #7
The original engine code is the 8th character of the VIN.
W=2.3 Turbo
3=3.8
F=5.0

Reply #9
Quote from: Kitz Kat;269700
Are you sure the D/S is for the car?

x2
you got a pic of what your dealing with there?
what length is the driveshaft for a c3 trans?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #10
Quote from: the_intimidator03;269721
appears the pan on a c5 has a hump and the c4 does not...

Not all c5's have the hump,mine has a flat pan,just like a c4.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #11
Did they manage to swap in an AOD?  Is the bell housing removable?
C5 same length as C4
X

Reply #12
It has the original 3.8L engine and original driveshaft. The Cert. Label says it had a C5.

I checked the photos on the rangerstation site.
My trans. does not have the big hump in the pan like a C5 and it looks exactly like the C4 in those photos.  It has the slight hump on the driver's side of the pan just like in the in the C4 photo.

It looks like the previous owner was sold a C4. Got as far as the driveshaft issue then gave up.

Reply #13
Did C5's come in different lengths, like the AOD did? Maybe you got a truck C5 or something. That's about all I can think of...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
I would think the bellhousing could be your problem.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.