Skip to main content
Topic: T Bird C5 swap but driveshaft wont fit (Read 3324 times) previous topic - next topic

T Bird C5 swap but driveshaft wont fit

Reply #15
did you look at the tag on the trans itself?
both of my fords had that little hump on the drivers side. they were definately c5 transmissions. ive seen some in the junkyard with the flat(squared) looking pan. i never saw one as rusty as the one in the pic though.
i cant find a difference worth mentioning here in my books reguarding the different c5 trannys.
i still think your driveshaft is wrong.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #16
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;269939
Did C5's come in different lengths, like the AOD did? Maybe you got a truck C5 or something. .

That's what I was thinking...

I know the C3 & C4 have different lengths, couldn't use a DS for a C4 Stang in the one I had with C3... BUT I don't think anything other than the NA 4cyl used the C3...

Reply #17
I have another thought to. how long has it sat with the ds out? maybe the output shaft rusted, grabbing straws.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #18
everything is original except the transmission(and bell housing) The driveshaft slides easily  on the output shaft until the shiny part matches up with the seal so I know its going as far onto the shaft as it did with the original trans.

Its definitely an issue with the transmission.  There is no tag on the transmission.

If a C5 doesn't have the hump on the bottom of the pan does that mean the entire pan depth is greater than that of a C4?

If it is a C4, and I just cut the driveshaft down, what would be the potential problems with running a C4 in it? Any ideas?

Thinking about trying to find a junkyard C5 from a 1984 Tbird etc. That way I wouldn't have any compatibility issues. I guess

Reply #19
Cut the shaft and forget about swapping the transmission...

Reply #20
I am pulling my C5 this weekend,so if I can help you in anyway (photos,measurement.......etc.) let me know and I will do what I can ,to help you identify yours.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #21
this is how you can POSITIVELY identify a C5 trans.If you are willing to pull your pan,look at the valve body,if there is a TIMING BODY bolted on top of it,you have a c5.(the timing body will be underneath the filter).

A c4 will not have a TIMING BODY,the filter will be bolted to the valve body.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

C5

Reply #22
So if I have the C5, with a 7 inch bell housing, and the trans. mount lines up with the crossmember, I wonder how I end up with extra length.

The original driveshaft slides easily up the output shaft until it hits something. At that point the rear seal (outer seal) matches up with the shiny/rusty demarcation so I know the driveshaft is going as far as it is supposed to.

If I had a too big bellhousing, wouldn't that put the trans mount too far back beyond the crossmember?

Reply #23
i wish i could get into my computer and get decent ones but here are some pics i could scramble of my driveshaft matched up to the trans and rear. these were taken while the car was on level ground(not jacked up)
compare them with yours and see if there are any differences between them.

all i can think of...
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #24
this is my overall drivshaft length
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #25
and this is my bellhousing length and overall trans length.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #26
My overall length from front of bell housing to tip of outer rear seal is 33" not 31"

Somehow my C5 is 2" longer.

Also my 58" original driveshaft only has 2" of the shiny part, not 4".
When I slide on the output shaft that shiny part matches up with the rear seal.  I wonder if there is something in the transmission that the yoke hits up against that is some kind of adapter that can be removed to accomodate

I think there is a difference in the rust on the yoke seen at the 4" mark. Maybe the shiny part at 2" was preserved by the plastic wrap in storage, and it is just coincindence that it lines up with the trans. seal.  Still doesnt change that it wont go in another 2" though.

Reply #27
wondering what part # 48 might be and if it is some kind of spacer that can be removed.

Reply #28
It does look like that driveshaft did go into the tailshaft 4" at one time or another.can you look inside the tailshaft with a light and see if there is a spacer in there.(that just seems odd to me though).

if there is a spacer in there,I would think that that would restrict the DS from moving on the spline and it has to move or somthing is going to break.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #29
ok I went out and measured my exstension housing.I measured from where it bolts to the trans,down to the end of the rubber driveshaft boot/seal and it measures 14".

is there a 3.8 or a 302/5.0 in the car now?
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]