Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone on this Fourm Done an LS1 swap into there Bird (Read 18258 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone on this Fourm Done an LS1 swap into there Bird

Reply #45
Quote from: coug460;268786
Yeah, those were restorations 10+ years ago what about all the ones built after that and the fiberglass kit cars that are being built. A lot of the cars out here have been recent restorations not something that was done over 10-15 years ago. The kit cars are also getting really popular because knowone can find originals anymore that haven't already been restored.

Chevy small blocks are narrower than Ford small blocks, they fit better.

Reply #46
Many of these guys who did these restorations 10+ years ago didn't have access to a ford complete crate motor.

That's funny....the old mid 90's SVO catalog I have laying around has crate motors listed....:rolleyes:

It was more of a budget issue than anything else.... A 2 bolt main Chevy 350 could be built to make 300 flywheel horsepower CHEAP.  It wouldn't handle much more than that (hence the reason GM guys looking to make big power in a small block hunt for 4 bolt main engines), but in a stripped down light car such as a T-bucket or similar which don't weigh much to begin with how much more do you need?  Figure 2100 pounds or so is a common weight for one and and if you could get a 700R4 behind it with some 3.73's you're gonna move.  QUICKLY.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #47
Quote from: 86XR7project;268789

Absolutely Not so, the 5.0 is smaller in every dimension than about any V8 engine ever produced... A 351 Windsor is close to the same size as a SBC...

Reply #48
Quote from: 86XR7project;268789

But yet a 460 big block will fit under the stock hood with little modification on most 30 year old or older fords when using a mustang II front end.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:burnout: :flame:
1987 Cougar LS w/460big block & AOD tranny
1992 Cougar XR7 Supercharged 3.8L V6
1987 Pontiac Firebird w/3.1 V6
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon w/14000 mile crate 258 I-6
1931 Model A Pickup

Reply #49
Quote from: coug460;268967
But yet a 460 big block will fit under the stock hood with little modification on most 30 year old or older fords when using a mustang II front end.

Theres your reason right there.

TurboCoupe50: I don't remember who told me that but I guess I just learned another new thing today. Thanks!

Reply #50
Quote from: 86XR7project;268985
Theres your reason right there.
Most guys building hot rods , including those using a Mouse or Rat motor, use Mustang II front ends. The Mustang II front end is the Chevy Small Block of IFS conversions...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #51
My point was they fit because they went to the aftermarket to get a custom front clip. They didn't use the stock front end. I may be wrong but wouldn't using one of these open it up? I realize the Mustang II front end is used alot, I know enough to know that much....

Reply #52
I would think an IFS would actually take up more room than the stock I-beam suspension. I tend to go along with the others who say the SBC became a common swap engine because it is so cheap and plentiful, as are hop-up parts. The availability of kits to install the mouse into just about every car ever made certainly helps, too...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #53
Now we aren't talking about a coil over front suspension are we because that would negate the need for strut towers opening it up quite a bit, but thats just my thoughts. I know I'll more than probably end up being wrong as usual but I suppose its how I learn.

Reply #54
No, a Mustang II front suspension is an unequal length control arm setup, similar to what you'd find in a second gen Camaro or Nova (which are also common IFS conversion donors). The mount for the upper control arm and spring pocket would take up some room.

Reply #55
Hmm, well I guess I've learned my fair share again and looked like a fool as usual. Another day lost a little more info gained. :sorry:

Reply #56
if i could find a cheap lq4 (6.0 iron block LS series engine) and a cheap f-body t56, i would be all over it.
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #57
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;269002
The Mustang II front end is the Chevy Small Block of IFS conversions...

...And drop spindles for them are CHEAP!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #58
Quote from: coug460;268782
hate seeing people driving around with cars like a 32 ford roadster and having a 350 chevy in it.

When I was a kid, I'd stay with my mom down in south missouri during the summers..anyway, her and her second husband were friends with a guy that had a 'glass body t bucket with a 428 CJ.

I was always staring at it whenever I saw it..my mom never did let me ride in it cause it was pretty  fast. It made such an impression on me that I made a model of it...428 and all.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #59
The sbc is cheap and it is a good package. The rear oil pump\sump pan helps a lot in that area. I have heard that the basic layout was modeled after the Flat-Head Ford, in search of conquest, hotrod market sales and imaging. That worked pretty well.

Build a couple different brand motors, one of them being the sbc, and add up all those parts that are $5,10,15 and more cheaper for the sbc and you have saved a LOT of money over the next cheapest engine, the SBF. Money that stays in your pocket or money that can be spent on more goodies.

It doesn't take a genius to recognise a lower price. Any mouth breather knows that $79 is less then $89.

The 5.0 Fox Mustang changed that equation. The entire car cost less to go fast than any other package. The 5.0 Mustang is the sbc of the late 20th/early 21st century.