Skip to main content
Topic: Question about 20th anniversary Cougar (Read 2631 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about 20th anniversary Cougar

My parents bought an 20th Anniversary Cougar new. It has never been winter driven. It only has about 80000kms/50000miles +-on it. It has all options available. They never did get the trunk kit for it for some reason.Still smells new inside. Always covered. All original except battery and tires. The gatorbacks got flat spots from sitting so much.NO scratches or dings anywhere.The only flaw that I could see was the paint was peeling abit on the rear window trim. Anyways my parents are getting up in years and are thinking of getting rid of the car. I would love it for myself, but I already have my 85 HO T-bird and my 64 Fairlane so another car is out of the question. What do you think a car like this is worth today?

Reply #1
Never saw one without the trunk kit??? It's really hard to tell how much they are worth....I guess it depends on who really wants it bad enough. I have seen 20th's go for 2500 in great condition with less than 100k miles, and Seen them go for the higher 100's low 1000's, but all in all, it's hard to judge.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #2
thats about what you would be lucky to get.

so your saying it has a moon roof?

f not, get to know the 20th a little better.  Post up a pic of that cat if you can.  It would be nice to see here and maybe even sell if your going that route.

One just about in the shape you described just sold up in va for 900 i think.

Reply #3
Quote from: jcassity;264685
thats about what you would be lucky to get.

The guy i was telling you about in ohio dropped his from 3500 to 2500, said he had it appraised for 5000, I think it's bs.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #4
yeah,, thats an odd one,
for some reason i thought that car had issues other than the tranny.  I would have never asked him for the parts i got from you if it wasnt on its way out to the jy anyway.

Reply #5
He said he done a lot of work to it in the past year, suspension, tranny, some motor work, ect. Have you ever heard of a 20th without the rear luggage rack?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #6
anything/option is possible.  depends on the buyer. 

this guys car sounds sweet though just by how he describes it and all.

Reply #7
It does sound awesome.....never had a car that still smelled new.....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #8
PIIIIIIIIICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!:beatyoass: :D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #9
Quote from: ZondaC12;264724
PIIIIIIIIICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!:beatyoass: :D

X2

Reply #10
:ttiwwp:

i'm on a roll.....:hick:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #11
Quote from: 86XR7project;264762
X1

No no noooooooo!! IM the "x1" you gotta be "x2"!!!!! :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #12
Ooops, I fixed it.

Reply #13
What I meant by the trunk kit was the little tool kit that was supposed to come later from Ford/Mercury.Has the proper floor mats. As far as the post being worthless without pics, well just look at a brochure of a brand new 20th and that's what it looks like. Yes it has the sunroof.

Reply #14
As far as the post being worthless without pics, well just look at a brochure of a brand new 20th and that's what it looks like.
The 20th in the brochure was a painting. ;)

All options...are you sure? Because there's been some misinformation about 20th options for years.
Full list of options and some of their order codes here:
http://www.coolcats.net/fox/20thanniversaryoptions.html

Not trying to discredit you, just making sure that the car does indeed have every option.
While full- or close to full-optioned cars were pretty common, just the price of entry for a 20th was a lot of money in 1987, so there are a lot that were just "basic" optioned (no moonroof, no power antenna, no ATC, etc.).

Your folks should have received the tool kit in the mail separately from the floor mats and the book.
If they didn't, tool kits pop up on eBay about once a year on average. Prepare to pay a lot of money for it, though.