Skip to main content
Topic: Question about 20th anniversary Cougar (Read 2635 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about 20th anniversary Cougar

Reply #15
Yes ALL options. I think it might even have the block heater and it does have the license plate frame since it is a Canadian car.

Reply #16
Quote from: stvrrr;264879
What I meant by the trunk kit was the little tool kit that was supposed to come later from Ford/Mercury.Has the proper floor mats. As far as the post being worthless without pics, well just look at a brochure of a brand new 20th and that's what it looks like. Yes it has the sunroof.

wow,,
who here has a 20th with the sunroof?

wonder how many of those options were ordered.

Reply #17
Quote from: stvrrr;264879
As far as the post being worthless without pics, well just look at a brochure of a brand new 20th and that's what it looks like.

As far as what the car would be worth today, well just look at the window sticker and it will tell you. jk. If you are serious about selling, you're going to need to post some pics, hopefully, big ones and close ups. That is the first thing any potential buyer is going to want to see.

Another thing you could do is list it on evilbay with a big reserve and see how high it goes. That's not always real accurate, but it'll give you a rough idea. It sounds like a beautiful car and I am sure would bring a premium. The amount of that premium is anybody's guess.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #18
Quote from: jcassity;264949
wow,,
who here has a 20th with the sunroof?

wonder how many of those options were ordered.

Mine's got the sunroof. Actually everything but the block heater. Almost fully loaded. Dangit!!! :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #20
Quote from: FLSTCI71;264983
If you are serious about selling, you're going to need to post some pics, hopefully, big ones and close ups. That is the first thing any potential buyer is going to want to see.

yes, not that you are not truthful in what you say, but for a buyer, as they say, the proof is in the pudding......:)
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #21
Quote from: jcassity;265001
wish i had a moon roof

Before I put my stupid-loud dual exhaust on, I kinda wished I didnt. The seal isnt right (doesnt look degraded just lterally not made to actually seal to the body) so on the highway theres a lot of wind noise....and in touchless carwashes the high pressure water comes right in around it. Sooooo I stopped going to those. :rollin:

And of course last summer it stopped working. Kinda not a big loss...Im funny like that I almost NEVER used it. Yeah. Figure that out. Not even jokin. Just wouldnt cross my mind. But Im just as happy to be able to see through the roof, so whatever I'll fix it when Im BOOOOREEDDD :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #22
My guess in value would be somewhere between 4-6K.

Could vary alot, just a guess of what you may get with the right buyer.
Mike

Reply #23
I was told that I was lucky not to have the moon roof. Based on the one 20th I found at the junkyard with one, I tend to believe that. I don't miss the block heater either since the car sits in the garage all winter anyway. BTW, I have a gold plated grill - is it true that most had a chrome grill?

I'd like to see pictures of this car - then we can give some idea of value.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #24
Parents are away on vacation and the car is parked away for the winter, but I will get pictures as soon as possible.

Reply #25
Another related question. Does anyone know what the actual production numbers were for these cars? I know there was supposed to be 5000 for US and 350 for Canada but I was talking to someone back around 1990 that said Ford/Mercury didn't end up making that many because they ran out of the material for the seats. Anyone heard of this?

Reply #26
Quote from: Cougar5.0;265136
I was told that I was lucky not to have the moon roof. Based on the one 20th I found at the junkyard with one, I tend to believe that. I don't miss the block heater either since the car sits in the garage all winter anyway. BTW, I have a gold plated grill - is it true that most had a chrome grill?

The 20th I had in high school also had the gold plated grill
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #27
Quote from: Cougar5.0;265136

Yes mine's not gold-plated. Eric had a comment about that...something to the effect of dealers doing it...maybe the NY auto show ones having it...but none bound for sale from the factory had it.....just that plenty of people requested the dealership make the grille match too/some dealers deciding it should be done etc. Kinda neat IMO!

Reply #28
I've never found any literature or Ford official specs that listed a gold-plated grille surround or grille emblem. The grille fins are supposed to be body color. The other items...I have no evidence on them. The center emblem seems to be logical in gold so I tend to believe they all had this feature. The surround I believe was supposed to be the standard chrome finish, except for the NYAS cars. I do know that dealers were gold-plating them like crazy back in the day.

However, I can't disprove anything either so anything is possible. ;)

Reply #29
Mine originally came with a chrome grill. I got hold of a parts car with a gold version, so I used that one. I have since bought a couple more of the gold plated ones. All of the gold ones have the center and surround gold plated. None of the 4 grills had the body color fins.

One of the gold ones has a sticker on it - "Celebrity Custom Grills" it says.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.