Skip to main content
Topic: it! (paint frustrations) (Read 2244 times) previous topic - next topic

it! (paint frustrations)

So I'm stripping my hood down to repaint it, but A: I'm positive I used the wrong paint and B: I promptly got frustrated and aircraft stripper'd it.

Anybody got the lowdown on how to get paint off in the quickest, most economic fashion?  Most of it is ser'd off at this point, but I'd like to get down to metal.

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #1
Get a soft sander/grinder wheel like a medium grit for an angle grinder, or just use an electric sander with a coarse/medium sandpaper. Thats what I used to remove rust from my car, and in some places went a little further up beyond the rust, and took the paint right off without wearing down the sheetmetal.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #2
heres a pic to show you hope it helps

If you look at the lip all the paint is gone, and it kept all the shape and form. I can thank daminc for that one.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #3
"...without wearing down the sheetmetal"

Ahem, sir, around here we like to call that "stage III weight reduction"

Edit:  Your pic didn't show

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #4
Its showing on my screen.....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #5
And I'm sure there are other more orthodox ways to do it, this is just what I discovered
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #7
Thats how im doing it, got one of those small palm sanders from black n decker..... it works fantastic!!!! im using 80 grit for the rough spots and then 120 to smooth everything out, and then im going to hit it up with some 220 before paint,
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #9
That wheel in the picture to the right is almost exactly what I used, (got it from harbor frieght too..) except I just used the grinder because I had one, but that would probably work better and quicker
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #10
Quote from: massCougarxr7;262946
Thats how im doing it, got one of those small palm sanders from black n decker..... it works fantastic!!!! im using 80 grit for the rough spots and then 120 to smooth everything out, and then im going to hit it up with some 220 before paint,

To expand on this a bit, you'll want to block sand with a wet paper at 320-360 grit after primer surfacer.  That will remove any primer overspray and other impurities.  Then seal and top coat.  I would not use anything more aggressive than the B&D palm sander or better yet an air DA sander.  80 grit is ok, then 120, then 220 as stated.  Clean, clean, clean!!
1987 TC

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #11
I'm not worried about it being perfect to be honest, I just need to get the initial botched paint off.  The car is white, but the hood is going to be black with a big fat Jolly Roger on it.

This is my ratbird, my fun car, and I expect it to be a beat-up, brash extension of my own mutinous personality :evilgrin:

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #12
Quote from: HAVI;262953
To expand on this a bit, you'll want to block sand with a wet paper at 320-360 grit after primer surfacer.  That will remove any primer overspray and other impurities.  Then seal and top coat.  I would not use anything more aggressive than the B&D palm sander or better yet an air DA sander.  80 grit is ok, then 120, then 220 as stated.  Clean, clean, clean!!

Yeah, i know ill need to block sand, but i dont have 30 or 40 bucks just for some pieces of plastic, my buddy made some out of some fence pickets to do his 86 monte carlo........it came out ok, but i think i know a little more than he does..lol, and i can borrow my other buddies D.A., but its his works, so time would be limited.....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #13
This is what I use to remove paint with out damaging the metal. I actually removed all the paint on my t-bird before I painted it with these and my electric drill. You can get them at Menards, Home Depot, or Fleet Farm. They work best with a drill that spins at 2500 rpms not the ones that spin at 1250.

it! (paint frustrations)

Reply #14
Go to lowes
get a paint stripper made by "JASCO"  in a spray can!!!

spray it on
have a cup of coffee
go back out there in about 15-30 min
wipe or spray it off.

amazing stuff turned me from the sandpaper real quick.