Skip to main content
Topic: My $50 Cougar! (Read 6790 times) previous topic - next topic

My $50 Cougar!

I finally got around to posting pics. So this is my 1987 Cougar LS that i was able to get for $50 just before it went to the s yard. Its currently a work in progress with already having a 460 and an AOD. Also i have added along with that a complete MTX sound system, 35% mirrored gunmetal gray window tint, front and rear strobe lights and a backlite grill, spinner hubcaps until i can get some rims, and i pulled the reflectors out of the taillights so that their clear. I got some newer pics that i'm going to put on with the car having the spoiler from my 87 Firebird on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:burnout: :flame:
1987 Cougar LS w/460big block & AOD tranny
1992 Cougar XR7 Supercharged 3.8L V6
1987 Pontiac Firebird w/3.1 V6
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon w/14000 mile crate 258 I-6
1931 Model A Pickup

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #1
That is a clean Cat!  Keep up the good work!

Also:

I want engine pics!
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #2
Nice looking car.Get rims fast,those hubcaps have to go.LOL.

And yes,more pics would be a good thing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #3
$50? Hardly looks like a $50 car. Now my car was a $75 and it looks like it. Nice find, kill the hubcaps.

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #4
Verrrrry purty!  Other than the spinners, it looks like nothing needs to be changed.  I can understand the sound system..and mebbe the strobes, but why would you want to put a spoiler on the back?  Its beautiful the way she is..IMHO.

**just looked at the pics again..I could see strobes added, but from behind the grill.  May I ask were they added for aesthetics or because you're with a volunteer fire department?  (That was my first thought..if not..oops.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~In less enlightened times, the best way to impress women was to own a hot car. But women wised up and realized it was better to buy their own hot cars so they wouldn't have to ride around with jerks. ~
--Scott Adams.--

~Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window. ~
--Steve Bluestone.--

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #5
The Lights behind(actually above shining done) the grill are just red LED's that make the grill glow red in color. Just me the spoiler on the back looks awesome. It's nice and low nothing like what you see on a fart can lered Honda LOL.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1931 Model A Pickup

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #6
Unfortunately those hubcaps look exactly like what you'd find on a fart canned Honda. Rest of the car looks good though. I like the colour...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #7
I would say you got a deal. Is your grill still like that? Might want to fix it soon. Just dont want it to fall out on you.

Try and pick up some 10 holes or turbines until you get the rims you want. Mustang guys almost throw them away (sometimes they do). They can be had cheap. The caps are just killing it for me. Overall though it really looks like a nice car.

I second the engine pic, and some interior and underbody shots if you could.
1986 Cougar LS

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #8
When i go to the one car show at the end of April i'll probably pick some rims up.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1931 Model A Pickup

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #9
where do you see a spoiler? and how does an AOD bolt up to a 460?

Its a nice looking car. There's no pictures of the back though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;262047
where do you see a spoiler? and how does an AOD bolt up to a 460?

Its a nice looking car. There's no pictures of the back though.

I have never heard of anyone bolting a big block to an aod. Don't know if its possible.

If you paid 50 bucks for that car and it has all that, then its a steal. I would like to see pictures of the engine though. I had a tough time keeping mine cool without modifications when it had the 460 in it. I used a c-6 transmission in mine.

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #11
props on the find/price... but im going to be dead honest.. i laughed when i saw the spinner caps.. and i was expecting to read they came like that and you took them off......... but i was mistaken :toilet:

twoeazyowns
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #12
Don't think an aod will bolt up to a 460,,,,,,,,,,,,,, other than the spinners - nice car !! need engine pics
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #13
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/automatic-transmission-parts/jw-performance-transmissions/ultra-bell-bellhousing.htm They sell replacement bellhousings and theirs a number of adapters. I got the idea from an older hot rod mag. that i have that has a big block 69 mustang with the AOD. I'll try to put pics on today of the spoiler the pics that i have on now are before i put it on. and the car didn't have the 460 in it when i got it. It had a worn 3.8l that would've need a complete rebuild so decided on an upgrade:evilgrin: .
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1931 Model A Pickup

My $50 Cougar!

Reply #14
More pics!!!!!