Skip to main content
Topic: Finally got picts of the 85 t-bird turboCoupe (Read 3881 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally got picts of the 85 t-bird turboCoupe

So here are some picts of my $450 dollar wonder. The radiator was trashed, fuel pump doesn't work, and it had a rodent issue in the trunk, but hey...........it was cheap! It does run though, we use a can of starting fluid to get it up on the trailor, so that is a plus and it is relatively straight, just really dirty! Luckily I have some old parts laying around from my '89 Mustang after it was upgraded so hopefully this will be a cheap runner. :D

Right now I have to get the Mustang ready to race, so I won't get to start on this till sometime next month. Should be fun though!

Reply #1
Looks like a good base.

On second thought, its not worth it. Ill come pick it up from you. Ill even do you a favor and do it for free.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #2
That looks pretty good, I think it will clean up and look real nice.

good luck.
Mike

Reply #3
Looks alot like mine did when I got it. Your rodent problem couldnt have been as bad as my 86 though it had PILES of rat  2-4" high!

Reply #4
It was bad, but not quite that bad. I was fortunate that most the  and damage is in the trunk. When I get some time I plan to pull all the interior and steam cleaning it, it appears to be in descent enough shape besides a couple small stains and the smell! I will have to track down where the rodents got in and seal it up.

I had a '86 turbocoupe and loved it, so am am looking forward to getting this back on the road.

Quick question; anyone here use nitrous on these turbocoupes? I have a couple 75 shot jets just lying around...........:D

Reply #5
Sweet find, I hope to one day get a turbo bird/cougar for my own. Good luck.

Peace,
Dan
87' Mercury Cougar XR-7 5.0/AOD (DD)
85' Mercury Cougar GS 3.8/3-spd (project)

Reply #6
Quote from: Rages6971;260568
It was bad, but not quite that bad. I was fortunate that most the  and damage is in the trunk. When I get some time I plan to pull all the interior and steam cleaning it, it appears to be in descent enough shape besides a couple small stains and the smell! I will have to track down where the rodents got in and seal it up.

I had a '86 turbocoupe and loved it, so am am looking forward to getting this back on the road.

Quick question; anyone here use nitrous on these turbocoupes? I have a couple 75 shot jets just lying around...........:D

Well seeing as you have another car thats a v8 You seem to be wanting this to stay turbo. I'd get it running and start working up the boost. Form what i've learned these cars have pretty tough little motors.

Reply #7
Quote from: 86XR7project;260581
Well seeing as you have another car thats a v8 You seem to be wanting this to stay turbo. I'd get it running and start working up the boost. Form what i've learned these cars have pretty tough little motors.

Yeah I do want to keep this a turbo 4cyl, I will take your advice and start looking at the tech forum for some ideas. So far I have seen cold air, boost controller and better downpipe and exhaust. I think for the first step I will look into the boost control. I also have a spare set of 4:10's lying around, but I am not sure I want to change the gearing yet.

Reply #8
Is it automatic or manual. I've read they have a smaller turbo setup on the automatics, I don't know that it makes much of a difference here. I'm not much of a 4 cyl. guy and not one to ask theres loads of guys on here using both setups. I'm planning on getting mine running for a short time and then going V8 so I don't know how much i can help. Your car looks about exactly like mine did when I got it last year.

Reply #9
Quote from: 86XR7project;260660
Is it automatic or manual. I've read they have a smaller turbo setup on the automatics, I don't know that it makes much of a difference here. I'm not much of a 4 cyl. guy and not one to ask theres loads of guys on here using both setups. I'm planning on getting mine running for a short time and then going V8 so I don't know how much i can help. Your car looks about exactly like mine did when I got it last year.

It's a manual car. I am not sure about the turbo sizes being different, but i might look for something a little larger (turbo wise) anyway. For now this is project "Dirt Cheap", whatever I can do to get it running and as fast as possible with the least new parts and what ever good used parts I come across. If the engine comes part, It might become the recipient of a 460 thats been sitting in the back of my garage for the last 8 years. I will do to the bird what I originally had planned to do to my '89 mustang.......I might even through a turbo on it......ya know, to make it sound authentic! :D

Reply #10
alot of info and parts here

stinger-performance.com

Ive used alot of his stuff in the past, with good results.
Mike

Reply #11
Here is a couple update pictures of the T-Bird. I have it cleaned up, and the  mice got into EVERYTHING!  I ended up pulling the dash and all the interior out and completely hosing the car out. Some how there was even a mouse nest in the heater box! The car still has a bit of a pinsol smell to it at the moment, but is way better then the alternative.

I am still having an issue with the electric fan.  I replaced the relay, but it still isn't kicking on the fan. The wiring looks good, so I need to check the temperature sending unit. I might just switch over to the Jeg's adjustable temperature relay and be done with it.

Reply #12
Wow, sure did clean up good.
Also, good to see yet another Missourian on here...we gotta stay even with all them eastern fellas ;)

Can't wait to read about some mods:D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
wow, did that ever clean up nicely. good work!

Reply #14
Thanks guys, I went through an entire bottle of rubbing compound to get it like that. I think I am going to invest in a buffer, doing that by hand was a joke. :hick: