Skip to main content
Topic: If you're making big HP, please look here (Read 1675 times) previous topic - next topic

If you're making big HP, please look here

Time to build the fuel system (tank, lines, return lines, filter etc).  What have you done?

Three things: 
A little bird told me that at a certain point, the stock tank will cause problems when moving a lot of fuel. T/F?
This will not be a drag-race-only setup so a rear sump probably isn't going to be sufficient.
Not having to listen to a noisy fuel pump would be nice.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
do some searching over on turbo ford they got tons of info about up grading the fuel system. From what I remember the metal lines in the sender holder need to be increased at some point to keep enough fuel that along with a good walbro pump sounds the norm
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
How much power are we talking here?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
TF has lots of good info, but.  They tend to be stuck in ultra cheap mode and usually think in terms of Mustangs only.

I'm building the car for 600.  Not saying that's what the final will be, but it is the hard ceiling.

I was thinking about using the feed and return lines both as return lines, using the Mustang Stealth tank concept but putting it on the passenger side instead of the in the center rear, keeping the pickup in the same location by running a line from the filter to the sump.  Imagine this at the back right of the tank:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/027/027-StealthFS.gif

I don't really know anything about fuel systems, so don't know if that will work.  I want it to be quiet and work flawlessly.  I'll be pushing the envelope so it's got to be reliable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Need a HP estimate  either flywheel or rear wheel  and appliction??

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #5
RWHP.  Road racing, autox, speed events eg Silver State,  BBORR etc
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Quote from: 5.8fastcat;260444
Need a HP estimate  either flywheel or rear wheel  and appliction??

Think he is still Turbo 4
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #7
I would run a -8 supply line and a -6 return. Summit makes a nice
soft aluim line that works well.

Mount an extenal pump with some rubber cushions on the feet with
nylocking muts and it will be quite.

Will need a set of aftermarket fuel rails and regulator.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #8
Okay, thanks for the info.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
I think that I have most likely added the craziest fuel system on the board, and let me tell you 5.8 fast cat has got the right idea. Are you doing this as cost is no object or do you want some normality in price? If you buy the entire fuel system that is available it will most likely save you tons of cash. I do not know when fast cat put his system together but there was no available systems when I did this in '02. There are many ways to skin a cat, at those power levels there are not many options. My fuel system is not very loud, but I use 2 pumps to support the motor and a nitrous system. When both are running there is "some" amount of noise, but not as bad as a carbed system pump. You can build a decent system of -8 feed line and cheap alum line for return. There is not much pressure on the return side. Sumping the tank is your only option if you are going to be turning corners at high speed...Get the Kit!!!!

Wait is this a turbo 4 or V8...if it is a turbo 4 there may be even more leeway on how big the lines are vs hp levels. You could get away with a smaller, cheaper line and fuel system if it is a turbo 4.

Reply #10
Quote from: Lightningbird;261869
.if it is a turbo 4 there may be even more leeway on how big the lines are vs hp levels. You could get away with a smaller, cheaper line and fuel system if it is a turbo 4.

How do you figure?

Both motors -- assuming equal or near equal power levels -- will require different amounts of fuel....  The BSFC of the 4 will be higher.  Heck the 88 LPH pump has a much harder time supplying a turbo 4 180-190 HP turbo 4 than it does a 225 HP 5.0...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
I am running twin external 255 pumps. Very quiet.

Reply #12
Quote from: thundr306;261989
I am running twin external 255 pumps. Very quiet.

Parallel or in-line?  What about return lines?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Quote from: V8Demon;261889
How do you figure?

Both motors -- assuming equal or near equal power levels -- will require different amounts of fuel....  The BSFC of the 4 will be higher.  Heck the 88 LPH pump has a much harder time supplying a turbo 4 180-190 HP turbo 4 than it does a 225 HP 5.0...

fuel demands on each motor are different.  the turbo 4 cyl runs 25-35psi injectors,  under boost on my merkur(same engine as a TC) fuel pressure went into the low 60's,  injectors on the bird are ~19lb injectors(stock).  pressure really has nothing to do with it..... its volume that is what u need,  yet u still need pressure for spray pattern.    i dont know if your going to be boosted or not, if you are boosted you need a bigger pump than if your n/a
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #14
Quote from: t3skidoo;262392
Parallel or in-line?  What about return lines?

They are parallel. -10an feed to the filter, splits to two -6an feeds for the pumps and up to each fuel rail. Single -6an return. Supposedly good to 950hp...lol.