Skip to main content
Topic: i wanna go fast.... (Read 4178 times) previous topic - next topic

i wanna go fast....

Reply #15
Alot of the guys have done this and are more than eager to answer all or any questions. We'll be praying for you as you serve overseas.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #16
check out coolcats.net.

Unfortunately there are very few performance options for cheap with the v-6's. The v-8's have lots of power compared to most years.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

i wanna go fast....

Reply #17
I just completed the swap, I went from an 88 v6 swap and put in an 87 v8. If and when you get a motor and need help or advise, I"m more than willing to help.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #18
ok heres what i would love to have done to the car. want to eep it as street legal as posible is daily driver. would love to puteither a 302 or 351. havent figured out trans type yet would like to keep it auto. rear gear ratio still not sure either. any help with this is welcomed with open arms. would love to put a supercharger or a turbo. any pics and tips you have would be nice also.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #19
well...

wish i had the cash to do a v8 swap but just not in my budget.:punchballs:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

i wanna go fast....

Reply #20
Quote from: Lightningbird;260092

1. Get some gears (3.55-3.73 is best for street driving)
2. Get some air (good air intake system)
3. Get some drag slicks.
4. Loose some weight (throw everything outta the car you don't need)
a. Pull the front sway bar
b. Lighter wheels and tires
5. Kill those parasites (parasitic Drag from a Smog Pump is not needed, while you are at it get a short belt and run the alt and water pump...thats it).
6. If you hit the lotto last night save up for a Super Coupe engine and wiring harness and install it. BIG DIFFERENCE...Hell go 5.0 or 460 then....LOL

exhaust is always a good idea too
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

i wanna go fast....

Reply #21
Quote from: 88'birdlover;260225
ok heres what i would love to have done to the car. want to eep it as street legal as posible is daily driver. would love to puteither a 302 or 351. havent figured out trans type yet would like to keep it auto. rear gear ratio still not sure either. any help with this is welcomed with open arms. would love to put a supercharger or a turbo. any pics and tips you have would be nice also.

If you are serious about doing this I'd go AOD and stay NA for a while. Don't get your swap overcomplicated, stick to the basics at first you'll be happy with the V8 performance right off the bat when thats done. Truuuuuuust me.:D

i wanna go fast....

Reply #22
I'd say buy yourself a cheap complete 5.0 off of someone on Corral, carb it, and drop it in.  Start with that.  Go EFI if you'd like later on, or boost, or a built 306/331/347.  But just getting a 5.0HO, AOD, and some decent rear gears will have ya in the 14s.  Trust me :) .

i wanna go fast....

Reply #23
14.999999 if lucky???
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

i wanna go fast....

Reply #24
supersixmotorssports has some cool stuff for 3.8's. They ave these things called powerpaks which add up to 70 horsepower..the only problem is that powerpaks are for newer v6's. You could pull a newer v6 mustang motor....but im sure that would be a lot more work than necessary. at that point u may as well get a 5.0.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #25
To give you some pros vs. cons:

You have an '88 V6 car, right?

You'll  need:
87-93 5.0HO engine from a Stang (and certain year Mark VII's, but I'm not so sure what years..)
87-88 EEC from a Mustang 5.0
an '88 Tbird/Cougar ONLY engine harness(or unless your car is an '87, then find that year V8 harness, as an '87 harness won't work on an '88 car without mods, and vice-versa), and Mustang 5.0 H-pipe.
Dual hump transmission crossmember from V8 Mustang, same as before+ '87-'93.
If you stay auto, you *can* use what you have now, but don't expect it to last very long, as the V6 will eventually make the AOD deader than shiznit.
Also, not so much needed,but something you'll definitely want will be at least 11" front brakes from a V8 Mustang (again, 87-93 is preferable)
and maybe even bigger back brakes as well.
Basically, if you could find a wrecked but otherwise running Stang GT, or LX 5.0, there ya go.
It's pretty much what I did, except I didn't get the Mustang itself, or the EEC from it, just everything else.
Makes it SO  much easier when you don't have to go to 13 or 24 places to get headers, motor transmission etc etc etc

In short, drive the V6, and save for a cheapo Sport, or Xr7...Hell, I'd been looking for one forever, and basically holding back on doing the swap to my '88 v6 Bird.....then I saw the Sport I now have on a lot, so I stopped and talked to 'em about it...drove it, and wrote em a check and brought it home.

With a Sport, or even a Base or LX car that already has a the 5.0 in it, you can budget-build your So into an HO, or do what I'm doing, and drop in an HO and the required eec to run it.

And I know whatya mean about trying to do stuff on a budget, with little ones, my son was born in November, and it's sometimes really hard to plan ahead to accomplish things. Just remember....that car will not grow up tucked away in a garage waiting for you to drop a different engine in it..family always comes first. It's been a tough realization for me to figure out on my own. Someday though, my little guy will get to drive my old Sport on a date with his girl...and I'll look back and be glad I took my time with it.

But anyway..not trying to scare you from doing the swap, just letting you see what I went though before I found my Sport.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6