Skip to main content
Topic: i wanna go fast.... (Read 4177 times) previous topic - next topic

i wanna go fast....

ran the 1/4 mile last night @ 69 mph in 19.8secs. can any body help me go faster?:burnout:

i wanna go fast....

Reply #1
V8 swap.....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

i wanna go fast....

Reply #2
Take a ride on a jet airplane. That is fast:mullet:

leaving on a jet plane

Reply #3
wish i had the cash to do a v8 swap but just not in my budget.:punchballs:

i wanna go fast....

Reply #4
well, im afraid the words fast and NA 3.8 V6 just don't play together very well.

~John~

i wanna go fast....

Reply #5
Oh this is absurd....don't dog the dudes ride cause he wants to drop E.T

There are a few things you can do to that 6 popper just like anything.

1. Get some gears (3.55-3.73 is best for street driving)
2. Get some air (good air intake system)
3. Get some drag slicks.
4. Loose some weight (throw everything outta the car you don't need)
a. Pull the front sway bar
b. Lighter wheels and tires
5. Kill those parasites (parasitic Drag from a Smog Pump is not needed, while you are at it get a short belt and run the alt and water pump...thats it).
6. If you hit the lotto last night save up for a Super Coupe engine and wiring harness and install it. BIG DIFFERENCE...Hell go 5.0 or 460 then....LOL

If you want a HUGE difference for the least amount of money and effort....go for the rear gears. Change the gears and it'll drop a second or more like that.*POP* Hell you may even get better fuel economy.

That's my 5 cents!!

i wanna go fast....

Reply #6
you won't need bigger tires in the rear of a v6 unless you can spin them at launch. I know none of mine could unless it was really wet or  snowy. Put smaller tires on the front, like a mini spare with a road tire mounted on it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

i wanna go fast....

Reply #7
Oh this is absurd....don't dog the dudes ride cause he wants to drop E.T
I'm not puppiesg on his car. He said he wanted to go fast, not drop E.T. Granted "fast" is up to each owns interpretation of what "fast" is.

~John~

i wanna go fast....

Reply #8
I've seen V6 Stangs done up to 300-400 HP granted most of them had a 4.2 from a F-150. The 3.8L isn't horrible.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;260101
you won't need bigger tires in the rear of a v6 unless you can spin them at launch. I know none of mine could unless it was really wet or  snowy. Put smaller tires on the front, like a mini spare with a road tire mounted on it.

Not even with a little braking, lol. Mine used to be able to do that, sometimes. You know when the stars aligned perfectly. :)

Quote from: 86XR7project;260115
I've seen V6 Stangs done up to 300-400 HP granted most of them had a 4.2 from a F-150. The 3.8L isn't horrible.

If a v8 swap is out of the question due to money, I don't think this would be feasible. Maybe, but probably not very likely. I mean a lot of these cars can be found with v8's which are all rusted out and the people only want cheap money to get them away. Mine was $200.

88Birdlover, if and when your driving around keep your eyes pealed for other 87-88 tbirds. You never know when a v8 cougar or tbird might be sitting in someones back yard looking to be plucked, for cheap money. Also, I'm not sure that pulling the front sway bar is a good idea, sadly our cars are a unibody and tend to flex. Maybe with a v6 its not a big deal, I know after my v8 swap it was though.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #10
At what cost, never mind cost/return ratio? The 3.8 NA is horrible. Doubt anything more than a very scant few were NA and no doubt had a hefty purse thrown at them. The majority were likely boosted and we all know that isnt cheap.

~John~

i wanna go fast....

Reply #11
Wasn't there a 3.8 Mustang in MM&FF a year ago that was fast as hell? I think it was a Super Six car and if my memory serves me right I believe it was NA too.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #12
is there a guide foe doing a v8 swap

i wanna go fast....

Reply #13
I'd use the search function. I'm going to be doing that in the future so just take your time.

i wanna go fast....

Reply #14
leaving for iraq soon hopeing to get the v8 swap why im gone gonna be tough with wife and new born twin girls