Skip to main content

Poll

Which one would you buy?

Total Members Voted: 25

Topic: New (ok used) car question....what should I get (Read 2705 times) previous topic - next topic

New (ok used) car question....what should I get

Reply #15
Quote from: Ether947;257222
You got the rest of your life to drive an old peoples car. :D

I like my old people cars thank you very much. 4 doors are amazingly easier and its not like your buying a White or Stanley Steam car, parts are available and it is still a Ford so someone can work on it.

Funny everyone says parts will be hard to find and everything considering the cars we own LOL:rollin:

I say Marauder, semi sleeper appeal, roomy, comfort, oh and did I mention its not a Mustang? If you want a Mustang go Terminator.

Which Marauders came blown?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #16
I like Marauders, but I'd still go with the Mustang unless you need room.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #17
well no one has asked what the gf has as a car. if shes got a family car go for the mustang. if not then the marauder . or just have the gf buy one and you the other. kidding on the last one. i pick mustang

Reply #18
Marauder isn't going to be hard to find parts for. it doesn't use anything unique to it really. modding it would be expensive but again, your looking for a daily. i love them and id love to have one but id probably get the later mustang myself if it were between those 2 only. a terminator would be nice but it isn't listed as an option and they are still much more expensive than an 05 mustang gt or merc marauder is going to be.

also consider resale. you can get a marauder cheap because nobody wants them but resale will suffer for the same reason.

also, i would never, ever get an auto mustang but that's me. the "my gf has to drive it" excuse is weak. everybody should at least know how to drive a stick.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #19
Quote from: DVP;257262

lmao...(yeah, I have a dirty mind)

I don't think any Marauder was factory supercharged...but I might be wrong.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #20
everybody should at least know how to drive a stick

I'll agree with this, but at the same time if you liive in an area with the congestion that I have, an manual gets to be a PITA in rush hour traffic.

Marauder + Trilogy Motorsports blower FTMFW!!!!!1!111

The owner of a local diner I frequent has one with that blower, 4.10's and the PI interceptor wheels with a nice tint. 
It goes.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #21
how old are you
buy the mustang
one day you will regret it

Reply #22
    Quote:
                                                                      Originally Posted by DVP                                   

all marauders from the factory are NA cars. Basically an auto mach1 engine (cast 6 bolt crank).
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #23
If you buy a Marauder you'll know you have a Marauder. Everyone else will think you've got a foot in the grave. Everyone calls them "sleepers" but sleepers are supposed to be fast. 300 horses in a 5000 pound car isn't fast, and no matter what Ford has done with the suspension it'll still handle like an old man's car. You could probably get a used 300C for the same money, and have a better looking, better equipped, more powerful car.

I may be jaded. The Lincoln Town Car I owned was the most boring car I'd ever driven. Yeah, it only had the non-PI SOHC engine and probably weighed a quarter ton more than a Marauder, but still. I can't see myself in another Panther.

That being said, I dunno if a used Mustang would be my first choice either. I never thought I'd say this, but you might consider looking at brand new cars. The manufacturers are pretty much giving them away right now. It's currently cheaper to buy a new car than it is to buy one a few years old. With a refreshed 'Stang coming for '10 you might get a bargain on an '09...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #24
20 years too new for my blood.  300C sounds like a good idea.  I plan on getting one (2005-present) in another 10 years when the price comes down to my $500 price range.

But, flip a coin, you'll be happy with either one.
1987 TC

Reply #25
That being said, I dunno if a used Mustang would be my first choice either. I never thought I'd say this, but you might consider looking at brand new cars. The manufacturers are pretty much giving them away right now. It's currently cheaper to buy a new car than it is to buy one a few years old. With a refreshed 'Stang coming for '10 you might get a bargain on an '09...

Historically, interest on a loan for a new car is significantly lower than that for a used car. ;)
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #26
I'm happy with my old man car. And I've got the ultimate in old man cars.
remember, it's easier to get to the back seat to pass out. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #27
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;257318
I may be jaded. The Lincoln Town Car I owned was the most boring car I'd ever driven. Yeah, it only had the non-PI SOHC engine and probably weighed a quarter ton more than a Marauder, but still. I can't see myself in another Panther.

That's funny. Not dismissing the possibility, if you were indeed bored, that's cool. But I find just the opposite with my '87 Crown Vic. If it moved like my cougar did, I would be suffering almost ZERO having to drive it all winter, wouldnt miss the cougar nearly as much. I throw this thing around turns the cougar would be screaming and leaning on, and it does it like it's nothing. The RIDICULOUS power steering lets me palm the wheel everywhere, you can be soooo lazy. The brakes are AMAZING, and it is like driving on a living room couch. Love the seat and the ride, which surprises me given its handling!!! I'd like to see what it would drive like, again, if it had the same get up and go as the kitty. That would be interesting LOL.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #28
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;257279

I think your right. I couldnt remember though. I thought there was one edition that came blown, but I cant remember anything.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #29
No factory Marauder came supercharged.

Here's one website with Marauder upgrades.....

FWIW, the stock Marauder torque converter is a nice upgrade for a 2V 4.6 Crown Vic or Mustang.....

There's another company that makes an adapter kit to throw an Eaton M112 on a Marauder, but for the trouble i'd go with a Whipple or a Kenne Bell before a HEATON.

I know of another around me twin turboed.....520 RWHP.....STOCK EXHAUST DOWN TO THE IRON MANIFOLDS!