Skip to main content

Poll

Which one would you buy?

Total Members Voted: 25

Topic: New (ok used) car question....what should I get (Read 2706 times) previous topic - next topic

New (ok used) car question....what should I get

Reply #30
Buy like 7 rusty cats and birds then soup them up and swap motor's as you blow the transmissions.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #31
I like Marauders...but can't see owning one (I'm 26) at this point in my life.  The way I look at it now is the time to have a fast fun sporty car like a Mustang.  I like my S197 a lot.  Its a decently fast very nice quality car!  They are popular but so are Crown Vics and Grand Marquis...and thats what 99% of people will mistake a Marauder for.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #32
Sometimes I think Carmen has fallen on his head, I like the Hell out of my Grand Pa '07 Grand Marquis... No it's not a car you'd take on a road course, but handles reasonably well and it's a base GS with no frills... Has more than adequate power, will lay rubber from a standing start, and from 60mph, will bust 100mph passing a 53ft semi(fuggin' OH laws that limit semi's to 55mph, still get pissed thinking about running I-70)... Mother in law complains it rides too rough, has the wife take her out in the old '93 that is about like rolling around on a marshmallow...

If I ever decide to get rid if my Bird, I'm gonna get a Marauder... Local guy had one with a super charger(added) and the thing would run 12.0 - 12.1 with no problem... He did squeeze out one 11.98...

Reply #33
Quote from: V8Demon;257362
No factory Marauder came supercharged.

Here's one website with Marauder upgrades.....

FWIW, the stock Marauder torque converter is a nice upgrade for a 2V 4.6 Crown Vic or Mustang.....

There's another company that makes an adapter kit to throw an Eaton M112 on a Marauder, but for the trouble i'd go with a Whipple or a Kenne Bell before a HEATON.

I know of another around me twin turboed.....520 RWHP.....STOCK EXHAUST DOWN TO THE IRON MANIFOLDS!

How did they pull that off? Rear mount or flip the manifolds?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #34
I still say Marauder. Mercury for the win. Nothing like a four door sleeper, that why SHOs where always so appealing to me.

Reply #36
You have all made good points. In reality I don't need a brand new car as I drive less than 4000 miles a year, so in 4 years I'll add about 16,000-17,000 miles to a car. I can get away with buying a used car with ~50,000 miles on it and after 4 years it will still have low mileage:hick:

I would like a Mustang, really I would, but I have to think about practicality. I don't have kids to worry about (or will have to for awhile) but I do have to use the back seat in my DD fairly often. A Mustang, being a V8 RWD coupe, won't have much useable back seat space. Plus I do already have a hi-po V8, RWD coupe in the garage. If I bought a Mustang I'd have two;)

Here's a price factor to consider as well. In my area I can get a 03-04 Marauder with ~50,000 miles in the $11,000-$12,000 range. An 05-08 Mustang GT with 50,000 miles ranges from $14,000-$15,000. I probably have to test drive a Marauder before I make a decision though (I have driven an 05 and up GT Mustang already).

A thought though. A V6 Mustang is cheaper than a GT. Being that I am less than thrilled by a V6 T-bird would a V6 Mustang cause the same reaction? IE would I be longing for a V8 in no time?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #37
the V6 S197 has 60 more ponies than your current 3.8....
Mucho torque-o for a 6 pot too.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #38
Quote from: V8Demon;257511
the V6 S197 has 60 more ponies than your current 3.8....
Mucho torque-o for a 6 pot too.

Enough to not make me miss a V8? ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #39
Test drive one ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #40
The 4.0V6 automatic swayed me away from buying a manual 03 GT. If you go that route just make sure you get one with the pony package. My single biggest complaint with the V6 version is the lack of traction-lock. But if you need a back seat, the Mustang is probably a no-go. It's got plenty of trunk space though... =/
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #41
Enough to not make me miss a V8? ;)

Well we are still talking daily driver right? if your dead set on an auto than i wouldn't get the mustang, ten fold if your looking at a V6.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #42
Quote from: shame302;257620
Well we are still talking daily driver right? if your dead set on an auto than i wouldn't get the mustang, ten fold if your looking at a V6.

Yep still talking about a Daily Driver. The 88 T-bird is my good weather only fun/show car. I need something to drive Nov 1st-April 1st and to work all year.;)

I'm going to get something with an auto as, well, Chicago area traffic sucks. I wouldn't mind a stick for a fun car but for a DD an auto is much easier (yes I know I suck/I'm a wimp :mullet: ). I've driven both an 05 up Mustang GT with both a stick and auto and really power wise I can't tell a difference in every day driving. I'm wondering if a V6 Mustang has the power that I would want in every day driving. Remember I'm not going to mod my DD. I want something that is more fun than your basic FWD 4 door box ;)