Skip to main content
Topic: Finally got me a stang (Read 6720 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally got me a stang

just scored an 89 Mustang LX hatch. 69k miles, bone stock, for $1,000  :D

gonna go pick it up tuesday :w00t:

Re: Finally got me a stang

Reply #1
i once wished i owned one. but now i have one. i wish my cougar was still drivable and not on it's way out to junk yard heaven.  one thing i like is how well the stangs handle and the aftermarket.  btw. 5 speed or auto ?  Enjoy the car.  looks like it's in good shape all the way down to the crome tails.  needs pony wheels though. them 10 holes got to go. im my opinion.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #2
Screw the pony's!  Do the 5 bolt swap and go with the bullits!  LOL

Nice stang man.  Wish mine was still on the road, but right now I am stripping out the drivetrain and putting it into my '85 Cougar.  This summer I will buy another 5.0L LX to rip around in.

Reply #3
That's one hell of a deal.  If I had the money and found one like that, I guess I could deal with fading into the masses, too. ;)  Too bad you don't have a nice rust-free T-bird or Cougar to swap all the drivetrain into.

Reply #4
Quote from: Ifixyawata
That's one hell of a deal.  If I had the money and found one like that, I guess I could deal with fading into the masses, too. ;)  Too bad you don't have a nice rust-free T-bird or Cougar to swap all the drivetrain into.

I do have a rust-free Tbird. I live in california, remember? :p but 1,000lbs is a pretty big difference performance wise, and there's so much stuff that you can buy for the stang without worrying if it'll fit or not

Reply #5
bleh...id gut it for the tbird.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
Nice car and a Hellva buy... You sure it has just 69K mi and not 169K ??? Stangs don't have the six digit odo, be careful...

Reply #7
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Nice car and a Hellva buy... You sure it has just 69K mi and not 169K ??? Stangs don't have the six digit odo, be careful...

well there's obviously a significant difference in wear from a 69k car to a 169k car, and the guy says it looks to be the lower mileage. he says the only major flaw in the interior is a tear in the passenger seat

Reply #8
If that's what you want, you got one heck of a good deal on it, especially since it's the LX and not the GT

Reply #9
Oh look..A.R.M.  Another Red Mustang.

I agree with shame302.... work the TBird...lose the Mustang.  That is unless you want to be like everyone else....:p

But then again...I'm the guyu who has 2 Merkurs in his driveway in addition to thw 3 Fox Tbirds/Cougars...so my tastes are arguably skewed.  To me 87-93 Mustangs are invisible...they rarely get a second look....

Oh..and the weight difference is less than you think I'm sure....That 5.0 hatchback is at least 3100#.... I know your Tbird isn't 4100#
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #10
you guys can try talk me out of it all you want but
1) I'm getting it at the same price I got my Tbird, but half the miles
2) even if it isn't 1000lbs difference, it's still hundreds of pounds lighter
3) one word: AFTERMARKET. just one of the reasons it's a good thing to have a popular car. now I can actually put parts on it without wondering if it'll fit or if I got it from the right year/trim/model car or worrying about it breaking cuz I got it from a junkyard
4) nobody gives my car a second look either, but I sure as hell give good looking mustangs a second look. there are two kinds of Tbirds around here; ones that are rolling POS's, and ones that are OK. so even giving mine a nice paintjob will just make it one of the latter
5) I've noticed that they aren't really THAT common around here, everyone and their mom has a 94+ mustang. the only ones with foxes around here are ghetto black guys and they have shiznitty convertibles or are otherwise trashed, and scrawny white guys with really clean GTs. I hardly ever see any LXs.
6) new paintjob isn't necessary, the paint is already in good shape.

let's just say I wasn't nearly this excited when I got my Tbird :p

Reply #11
I had an LX Stang once, though I did trade it in for my 'Bird...
I was gonna shove a carbed Windsor down in it, and put a converted 9" in the back, and make a street rod out of it, till I saw that maroon Bird on the lot (fool I am)
Now I have a running white Bird, and a junked maroon Bird....
Your Mustang looks good, I'd of paid a grand fer it too
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #12
the only ones with foxes around here are ghetto black guys and they have shiznitty convertibles or are otherwise trashed, and scrawny white guys with really clean GTs.

so wich one are you?.... :dunno:

just kidding dude, just playin with ya..
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #13
I got myseslf 4 TBirds, with all engine combos.  But I would still like to find me a Mustang to build up also.  Congrats
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Reply #14
I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, some of my best friends have stangs, have had one myself at one time. It's all personall tastes, I personally like Mark VIIs and T-birds much better, that certainly doesn't mean that you should feel the same way. Your still young enough that they probably aren't near as uncomfortable to you as they are to me either. Glad you got what you wanted and best of luck with her. Fair warning though, don't expect that just cause it's a stang, that the parts designed for it will bolt up like butter, I've built several and still had to modify parts slightly to make them work.