Skip to main content
Topic: Finally got me a stang (Read 6719 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Finally got me a stang

Reply #15
don't expect that just cause it's a stang, that the parts designed for it will bolt up like butter

That's true with any car...By enough parts for say...a 69 Camaro and eventually you'll run into a few that you'll have to "adjust" to get to work in a 69 Camaro.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #16
if i could get a Stang as a second car i would. but still put my money in the Bird. it's one of the few Hatchbacks i like. ^_^ and foxford is right, just because they are made for a Stang doesn't mean it will bolt right in. my friend's Stang is nothing but problems when it comes to aftermarket part fitment. in fact they fit my Bird better. lol. he hates that. XD
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #17
Nice buy, zpyro.  I'd have done it too if I were you.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #18
I doubt I'd own a Stang.. (I wouldn't say no to a free one or something, but I would not go out of my way to get one) but I wouldn't mind having another early Fox Capri, say 80-82.

Found another Bird I might try to go after, if I find out the owners are willing to sell.. and (only) if I can get my 351 sold. Body looked good in the two glimpses I got while we were driving by.. but there's a tarp over the passenger door window. Might've been busted out in the hurricane, or just a case of busted clips. Oh well, could be a strip-it-and-sell-it job.

Reply #19
just got home with my new toy. took 4 hours to get from there to here cuz we had to do 50 to avoid ruining the tranny, which still got fried anyways  :rolleyes:

py pics, but it's in really good shape. only body flaws are a dent right behind the passenger door, a small ding in the driver door, and something on one of the fenders...I dunno wtf it is, kinda rough patch like the previous owner tried to use bondo but did it blindfolded and drunk (it isn't rust tho). interior is obviously that of a 69k mile car, dash is flawless. I'm thinking of welding the holes in the engine bay (it's like swiss cheese) and hiding the wiring, make it a little cleaner under the hood. gonna get started on pullin the engine/tranny asap. got my engine I built w/ b-cam, cobra intake+rockers, ported stock heads, 3k stall converter, and some nice tubular control arms (after I return the Tbird ones  :p ) that will go in, any idea what it'll run?

Reply #20
had to do 50 to avoid ruining the tranny, which still got fried anyways
Tranny problems? You didn't mention tranny problems.  :nono:
And no horn button?? My God, that thing's a wreck!  :tg:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #21
Tranny problems? You didn't mention tranny problems.
I think he's talking about the tow vehicle. That 'Stang is on a trailer.

Reply #22
That 'Stang is on a trailer.
It had to be hauled on a trailer?? 
Will the horror never end?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #23
It had to be hauled on a trailer??
Will the horror never end?

It only has 3 wheels!!! :rollin:
Just kiddin.....looks good.  Some others here wouldn't want a Mustang at all, but I got a soft spot for 'em.  I'd like to find a 91 or 92 Mustang LX notch 5.0.  They were lighter still than the hatchback style LX (about 2700lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas)  I like the sleeper look of the old trunk models as well.  Good luck with her and don't forget us cat and bird freaks! ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #24
lol you guys are funny :p the stang had to be towed on a dolly, and we couldn't get the  driveshaft bolts off so we went no faster than 50mph. the trip was about 200miles, took us 4 hours to get home.
the tranny might just be low on fluid, but the engine is supposed to be running when you check the level and it barely runs enough to get it onto and off of the dolly. the guy said it's probably a lifter or valve problem, doesn't really matter that much cuz I'm replacing the engine anyways
like I said before, this thing has half the miles of my Tbird when I got it, and cost the same $$. a good polish n wax job should make it shine real nice

at least it isn't a Civic :tg:

Reply #25
Quote from: zpyro
at least it isn't a Civic :tg:

Then we all would be raggin ya big time :D

Nice buy, I had a '93 Fox stang once, it was a 2.3 Hatchback but it was still a Mustang. I was Bright Red with the color-mathing door mouldings and grey cloth interior with a 5-speed. It was in prestine condition and had about 121k miles on it when i bought it, very nice car I picked up for about $1000. I only had it for a week when I got t-boned at an inersection buy an S-10 who red light doin 45 mph, totalled the car and gave a pretty good cut under my chin, when I got punched in the face by the air bag. Thats pretty much how I got into the T-bird.

Reply #26
lol, pulled the intake and found that one of the pushrods came off of the lifter cuz the rocker arm bolt was super loose. also, while draining the oil I had a strong craving for milkshakes :p

Reply #27
Well see why you got it so cheap now, I really do think you need to add a 1 to the front of those miles though, my Mark has 134k on it(odomoter was replaced at 17k miles, and the interior in it looks showroom new other than the armrest on the center console, which i recovered so it looks brand new too. 169k miles is still not bad on a '93 model. Have a good time building her, that's always the best part.

Reply #28
what makes you think it has that much? cuz the rocker bolt came loose? everywhere else I look this car is hella clean, in 10x better condition than my 149k tbird. apparently the head gasket blew and the previous owner replaced them. he apparently decided to paint every bolt head he could too :crazy: everything still looks pretty new, I doubt all the stuff that looks new was replaced

Reply #29
You might want to get a Car Fax report on it, 69K on a '89 with its problems really don't seem likely... The 88 GT Vert I bought last year had 75K mi Actual Milage on the title... Car Fax listed it as 138K three years prior. But no matter what the milage, you got a great base for mods...

With your B cammed engine, 3000 stall and 3.73s,  low 13s/high 12s should be possible... Get some good heads, and it would be deep in the 12s...