Skip to main content
Topic: Singing the alternator blues (Read 2995 times) previous topic - next topic

Singing the alternator blues

I have an 87 T-Bird 2.3L turbo that eats 2G alternators at a prodigious rate (1 per week).  I've obviously got some kind of dead short somewhere as its burning out the windings, but I'll be ed if I can find it even though I've visually inspected just about every wire in the vehicle.  I thought I had it beat last time (bad ground clamp), but she chewed up another alternator today and the replacement I put on this afternoon is already running very warm.  With the vehicle idling, I'm getting about 13.4 volts, 12.9 with the headlights on.  But the alternator will get smoking hot after running for about 2 minutes.

There is no battery drain when the vehicle is off, so I know I don't have a short on a non-protected circuit.  I would have thought that a dead short on a protected circuit would blow a fuse.  Starter solenoid isn't sticking on, and otherwise appears to be working well.  Today I ran a ground wire from the alternator body to the battery negative terminal, just in case the engine wasn't grounding properly.

So I'm beat.  Where are my best spots to start looking for the culprit?  I looked for bare or broken wires, but didn't see anything.  Of course, I could have missed it too.  Bad ignition module cause this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rod

Reply #1
I should also mention that the ammeter in the car NEVER shows a charging situation.  Anything common on the gauge cluster that shorts out?

Reply #2
Have you/someone replaced the fusible links with wire?

Reply #3
I haven't, but that doesn't mean that someone else hasn't.  Where should I be looking for fusible links?  On the black/orange wires?  I noticed some fusible links in my EVTM, but it didn't look to me like they were connected to alternator anywhere.

Reply #4
go to my diy link and you will find this.............

3g alternator upgrade 3.8, 5.0, 2.3
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=13641

please read this if you own a 2.3 and consider a 3g swap "death of a tbird"
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=15802

Please pay close attention to both threads as it reveals a lot of information you need to troubleshoot.  The second link resulted in a car fire so get on this soon.

Reply #5
Forget the 3g,get with the times and get a 6g.
6g for a 3.8l will fit 5.0l and 2.3l.
2G's suck and will get really warm with even the slightest draw.
Reman 2g's aren't very good anyway.
You may not have a problem with the car it may just be a py alternator.
Check for positive terminal and make sure it's clean and tight,sounds like your running the car with a bad set of battery terminals or wires and the alternator is doing all the work in fact i'll bet on it..

Reply #6
Who said to upgrade to a 3g,, as in you stating to forget it?

I only posted usefull wiring specific information on his 2.3 since resources and troubleshooting for this to include the ammeter are lean.

it might sound all cool going with a 6g because then you have the ampacity of a genset,,:rollin: but,,,,,, what about the wiring througout the car? maybe yours has been upgraded and that why it works great for you.

Reply #7
I've got the 3G alternator swap all printed out and ready to rock, JCassity.  Thanks.  I was going to do it today when the old alternator bit the dust, but my supplier didn't have a 3G in stock and I live 11 miles out of town.  Hadda git home :)

I'll check out the fire thread.  Thanks.

Dominator:  Sorry, should have mentioned it.  I removed the butt ugly bolt on clamps today and went with brand spankin' new solder ons.  Nary a bad clamp or terminal to be found.  Cleaned all the wires with soldering paste before stuffing them into the new clamps.

Rod

Reply #8
Ok, read the fire thread.  Not really seeing anything there that pertains to my situation, although I am ready to watch for gotchas when I'm doing the 3G install.

But before I do the 3G install, I think I should find where my current issue is before throwing 130 amps at the car.  While I realize the 2G alternators aren't great, there is an issue somewhere when a new alternator can't provide more than 12.9 volts.

Rod

Reply #9
get a multimeter and check resistances. visual inspection wont always cut it. ive seen wires break and corrode inside the insulation, everything looks ok, but it isnt.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #10
Is there any non-stock electrical stuff in the car?
Have you tried a different battery?

Reply #11
Quote from: DiamondSCattleCo;253787
Ok, read the fire thread.  Not really seeing anything there that pertains to my situation, although I am ready to watch for gotchas when I'm doing the 3G install.

[COLOR="Red"]But before I do the 3G install, I think I should find where my current issue is before throwing 130 amps at the car.[/COLOR]  While I realize the 2G alternators aren't great, there is an issue somewhere when a new alternator can't provide more than 12.9 volts.

Rod

then the purpose for my putting it up was achieved.  You got the point and your using good judgement.  I have never forgotten that thread nor did we ever get to the bottom of it.  Many unclear responses and vague explainations put this to an unsolved mystery status.

Reply #12
UMMMMMMM,,you did,you put up 3g upgrade not alternator upgrade!!!!
I did upgrade my wiring as it is a MUST do.
Possibly the main black orange wire off your alternator is corroded somewhere in the wire.
When doing the alternator upgade be it 3 or 6g you must replace that wire with a minimum 6 gauge(i used dual 4 guage,one to the battery and the other to the cars harness being a TC)or the fire thread will result again(yes i know he changed the wire).

Reply #13
What is the battery voltage with the car off?

Reply #14
It sounds like a problem in the Key-On circuit.  I would advise checking your fuses to see if there is a 30 amp where a 5 amp should be. 

If I had to do it.  I would probably pull all the fuses except for the computer.  Start the car, if the alternator is still pulling massive current, you know the problem is before the fuse panel.