Skip to main content
Topic: Singing the alternator blues (Read 2996 times) previous topic - next topic

Singing the alternator blues

Reply #15
Thanks for the suggestions y'all.  Gonna check them all out after work.

I did have a chance to look through the EVTM, and noticed that the black/orange wires run through the Ammeter, same as they did on old Dodges.  Since my ammeter doesn't work, I'm wondering if the link wire that bypasses the ammeter is also hooped?  I'm going to go on a hunt for it anyway.

Today at lunch I'm running a pair of 6 gauge wires from the black/orange wires over to the starter solenoid.  We'll see if we finally get some charging without destroying the alternator.

Now I've got what may be a dumb question.  Why is it no-one has bothered to do a Delco conversion?  Much better alternators than the 3Gs that you guys are all over. 

I checked one of our 100A 10S framed Delcos and they'd be a great fit.  All that would be needed is a spacer on the bottom mount and it would fit right up.  You can put a 3623 SE self exciting regulator in it, run a 4 gauge wire over to the starter solenoid.  Hook the black/orange wires up to the hot lead coming from the alternator, eliminate the other three plug in leads as the alternator is self exciting and internally regulated.  We switch ag tractors from Motorolas/Nippondensos over to Delcos all the time.  Much tougher, and much cheaper.  You'd be hard pressed to convince me there is a better alternator.

Rod

Reply #16
That's why i said 6g,they are a much better alternator than the 3g.

Reply #17
Quote from: DiamondSCattleCo;253847
Thanks for the suggestions y'all.  Gonna check them all out after work.

I did have a chance to look through the EVTM, and noticed that the black/orange wires run through the Ammeter, same as they did on old Dodges.  Since my ammeter doesn't work, I'm wondering if the link wire that bypasses the ammeter is also hooped?  I'm going to go on a hunt for it anyway.

Today at lunch I'm running a pair of 6 gauge wires from the black/orange wires over to the starter solenoid.  We'll see if we finally get some charging without destroying the alternator.

Now I've got what may be a dumb question.  Why is it no-one has bothered to do a Delco conversion?  Much better alternators than the 3Gs that you guys are all over. 

I checked one of our 100A 10S framed Delcos and they'd be a great fit.  All that would be needed is a spacer on the bottom mount and it would fit right up.  You can put a 3623 SE self exciting regulator in it, run a 4 gauge wire over to the starter solenoid.  Hook the black/orange wires up to the hot lead coming from the alternator, eliminate the other three plug in leads as the alternator is self exciting and internally regulated.  We switch ag tractors from Motorolas/Nippondensos over to Delcos all the time.  Much tougher, and much cheaper.  You'd be hard pressed to convince me there is a better alternator.

Rod

You got me sold,, got a diagram to cross us over with?

Reply #18
lol, Well, don't buy what I'm sellin'.  I tossed in a 3623 SE into an S-184-1 alternator we had in stock.  Yanked the old 2G out, and slapped in the new Delco.  And ran into a major catch: The body of a Delco, while its the exact same diameter as a 2G or 3G, doesn't have the "dent" on the side of the alternator where a regulator sits on a 2G.  So the alternator body contacts the doggoned alternator mount.  I'd have to lift the bottom mount up about an inch to get the body to clear.

So, long story short, switch to a 3G or other, lol.  I'm probably still going to do it, but not until I get some other issues sorted out.

So I've still got a dead short somewhere.  When I got done swearing over the Delco swap, I grabbed my continuity tester and just out of curiosity, tested continuity between the black/orange alt power wires and the body.  Of course it started buzzing, so I've got a dead short somewhere, and it must be on an unprotected circuit, as I don't have any fuses blown.  There are only four things not functioning properly in the car:
1) brake booster
2) ABS
3) electric fans
4) ammeter

I pulled the dash tonight and unplugged the wiring harness into the back of the gauge cluster.  My short didn't go away, so apparently its not like the old Dodge trucks of yesteryear (the ammeters would burn out and the alternator would quite charging).

I see from the EVTM that the black/orange wire splits into the ABS power leads by the starter relay, so I guess I'll start there tomorrow.

On a side note, has anyone found a decent power distribution centre to replace the dog's breakfast of fusible links and splices?  Whoever designed that whole mess under the starter relay really needed to find another job, lol.

Reply #19
Quote from: dominator;253875
That's why i said 6g,they are a much better alternator than the 3g.

Any major differences between the 3g and 6g installation-wise?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #20
suposedly the 3-g and the 6g wire together the same. The 6g is smaller. That is the only difference I can really find. The 3g you can just order for a 95 mustang gt.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #21
The 6g is lighter,has less rotating mass,has much better heat dissapation and has a more stable charging wave.
As for install differences,no stator wire to connect.
Just run your battery wire as you would for the 3g, cut off the old 2g/3g connector and solder in the new 2 pin 6g connector.
In fact if memory serves i think the wiring colors are even the same for the 2 pin.
You can go into any parts store and order a 6g for a 2.3/5.0L as well, i believe the vehicle was an 03-04 mustang 3.8L(not 100% sure on that, but it is a stock application ford alternator).

Reply #22
Hmm...Good to know.  Thank you.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #23
Don't sweat the ammeter. They really don't do anything. I've had two turbo coupes, and a few of my buddies have them, and they don't do anything. I think they came from the factory not serving any purpose.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #24
Mine moves about 1/4" when i have stereo pumpin so they do work.
You just need to put some serious draw to them.
The stock electric system won't.

Reply #25
So it basically works like the stock oil gauge then?  LOL.

Reply #26
I need to get more sleep.  It dawned on me that of course I'd have continuity from the alternator power wires to the body:  Anything with constant power like a clock will complete the circuit. :(

Rod8

Reply #27
Quote from: V8Demon;254036
So it basically works like the stock oil gauge then?  LOL.

This brings up something odd I noticed about my car.  When my temperature rises, so does my oil pressure.  Working kinda bass-ackwards, isn't it?

Reply #28
That's due to the internal voltage regulator or your cluster or ivr for short.
When the ivr starts to wear out it will make the gauges rise or fall more than normal.

Reply #29
The reason I ask about the battery voltage with the car off is, I thought you may have an easy starting car that will start on 10v.
If so a shorted battery cell may be putting extra load on the alternator.

The yellow shunt wire across the ammeter carries the bulk of the current. Only a tiny portion of the current flows through the ammeter.

That must an antique Dodge you are talking about. Back to the 6v days.

The shunt is in the cable harness near the alternator.

Does the BK/O wire on the alternator get hot?

You say you don't have a battery drain with the car off. If you turn the ignition to run without starting does the does the battery voltage hold up?
Does this overload condition only happen if the car is running?