Skip to main content
Topic: How to use balljoint press? **update, there in!! LOL** (Read 7068 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use balljoint press? **update, there in!! LOL**

I got the front suspension all apart, springs are out, spindles are off so I went to autozone and rented the balljoint press.

I don't think I'm doing this right (see pic below I have the large cup on the top and am pressing on the bottom). I'm turning this thing till me eyes pop out of my head LOL. Is the metal sleave suppose to come up and out of the A-arm as a whole with the balljoint? What I mean is when I'm done should the sleave still be in place? Or is the sleave part of the stock balljoint and I would be left with just an empty hole in the A arm to press in the new BJ.

This picture I found on the corral is the opposite of what I'm doing. So I figured its time to stop and figure out wtf I'm doing wrong here :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
The ball joint comes out the bottom of the arm.  Put the cup on the bottom, like in the pic.

You will be left with just a hole in the A-Arm.

Sometimes while there is pressure on the press/ball joint.  A few taps on the arm with a hammer will help things along too on the removal.

But yes, you are doing it backwards.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
Okay thanks Chuck, anything I should look out for when I press the new one in? Or is it pretty straightforward
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
pretty straight forward, just make sure it's seated all the wayagainst the arm.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
Now I have to wait 6-7 hours till I get home to work on it, part of me wants to sneak home for lunch and try pressing it out LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I hope your in the garage, its freaking cold out today.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #6
I have to do that with my car.I'm waiting to find a spare set of A-frames so i can install the ball joints and bushing at once and still have the Sport to drive.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Quote from: Kitz Kat;252138
I hope your in the garage, its freaking cold out today.

Yeah you ain't kidding 7* this moring, little colder up your way kitz, my co-worker went to the poconos this weekend LOL.. bad weekend for that
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
I did the ball joints on my bird with a nice hydraulic press but even then I still had to use a little map gas to heat up the a-arm to get them to come out. It was a major pain.

Reply #9
Quote from: andrew beedle;252210
I did the ball joints on my bird with a nice hydraulic press but even then I still had to use a little map gas to heat up the a-arm to get them to come out. It was a major pain.

I here that, I broke the c in one already trying to hard.
Had to heat it.

Reply #10
The whacks with the hammer on the arm while the balljoint is under pressure works well for me.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #11
Your right chuck , but most people would just crank on it,I did the first time.

Reply #12
I'm back :) It popped right out no problem. Now when I put the new one in, I press it in and than install the rubber boot on top right? The boot doesn't get pressed in with it does it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Smash the boot on later , It goes on last before you put the arm on. don't forget to grease everytrhing later.

Reply #14
Quote from: Kitz Kat;252239
Smash the boot on later , It goes on last before you put the arm on. don't forget to grease everytrhing later.

Cool, I'm squared away now I got it.. Thanks for the help! I'm just waiting for my Strange Engineering adj struts I ordered from summit to come on Wednesday and I can button it all up.

I just have to mess with the master cylinder and bleed the brakes  and this bad boy is ready to run :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]