Skip to main content
Topic: How to use balljoint press? **update, there in!! LOL** (Read 7066 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use balljoint press? **update, there in!! LOL**

Reply #15
Ive never used a press to put em in. I guess you gotta have two jack stands and a jack .

Reply #16
Quote from: jcassity;252320
Ive never used a press to put em in. I guess you gotta have two jack stands and a jack .

How?????? Just curious.... seems impossible that way..
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #17
After doing them on my old Thunderbird I just buy the ball joints, and let the shop put 'em in. Make sure you have a good press too, the ball joint press I bought from Harbor Freight just bent when I tried to press the old ones out. Luckily I was able to borrow a OTC press from school and finish the job. :hick:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #18
Quote from: massCougarxr7;252347
How?????? Just curious.... seems impossible that way..

i had a how,, but then i backspaced it out. Many people frown at the way some people do things.  But since you asked,,,,,,,,,,,,here goes.

main tools required:
2- jackstands
1- floor jack
1- decent block of wood (i have a piece of telephone pole 12'' high)

Remove Balljoint
-loosen lug nuts
-jack up car on sub frame
-insert jack stand in place of jack
-remove wheel,caliper,rotor
-remove tie rod end (loosen nut till nut is flush with tie rod end stud, beat on nut till tie rod end pops out, remove nut all the way and swing tie rod out of the way. 
-rotate strut to access balljoint nut
-loosen balljoint nut leaving nut on by a two or three threads
-Beat on nut with hand sledge
-control arm will pop down be stopped by nut.
-jack up control arm from the side about 1/2'' or so
-insert jack stand on the outter most part of control arm (sort of use the top hook part of jack stand to grab the outter round part of jack stand
-lower control arm onto jack stand
-remove nut on ball joint
-lift spindal/strut assembly up and out of the way
**all control arm presure is now on the jack stand
-beat on ball joint until it pops out.

Install Balljoint
-do not install zerk fitting yet
-place balljoint in hole and tap into place getting it centered lined up.  dont be a panty wuss, just a few good hard strikes on opposite sides alternating will get it started.  just feel and look at the "ball joint stop lip" keeping it from getting cantered one way or the other.
-jack up side of control arm taking presure off jack stand
-relocate jack stand to side of control arm and lower
-center block of wood with small / thick metal shim under ball joint.
-lower arm till ball joint bottom makes contact with shim only when jack is removed.
-using hand sledge, beat on outter most part of control arm. you are beating the arm down over the ball joint.
-inspect to see progres and repeat above process.
-you will see the ball joint "stop lip" gap decreasing as it seats.
-once satisfied the ball joint is in, you might have a 1/16'' gap between the control arm and the ball joint "stop lip".
-install ball joint boot making sure it snaps all the way around
-grab spindal assembly and lift up and set on ball joint stud.
-install nut and tighten
-remove wood block
-beat on bottom of ball joint a couple more times
-check ball joint nut again
-install zerk fitting and grease till you feel/see the boot swell
-the rest is reverse order on the rotor,caliper and tie rod end.
-remember to debur tie rod end stud / nut and test fit tie rod end nut prior to putting it on.

Reply #19
i still dont know why people keep thinking you need a press for this.  We've only been debating this for how long?:rollin:

Reply #20
i did it with a press.....it seemed a lot easier.... that must have been a lot of backspacing!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #21
Sorry I had to do it. :hick:

Reply #22
I use a C-clamp it works fine for me

* 3weeks later *
and in local news and young man is dead today after a firey crash  officer bob smith with the OSHP says the crash happen after the driver balljoint fell out of the socket more on this story and others at 11

Reply #23
Okay so I got the old ones out and I'm ready to press in the new ones. I get them both this far and they stop. The "c" clamp starts to bend slightly it looks like they should go in more.. see pics below, I have about 2/8" -3/8" on the bottom not flush with the underneath

I tried using the same 1/2 socket wrench with my jack handle that I used to take out the old one,  which gives me about 30" of leverage and I can't get past where its at now. I moved to the other side and they look almost identical in height.  Than I borrowed my buddys impact gun and hammered on the a-arm while I had the impact gun on the press.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #24
, dont listen to me.,,,, i didnt warn you about a gap underneath for no reason:D  Everybody seems to love the ole c-clamp but as you can see more than 50% of you end up with the same problem.  The clamp isnt strong enough and the thread count on the threaded rod should be double what it is to transfer the kind of leverage you need.

As for beating on the arm,, yeah right lol.  The only beating you did was on the end, good way to pen 15 eye the joint into the arm and make matters worse.
If anything, the jack should be directly under the ball joint and you should be alternating impacts (either side) on the arm beating it down over the joint.

I did foget to mention one thing though.  If your garage is heated,, then the metal on your car would be about room temp.  So........ you should have dropped your joints in the deep freeze over night and pressed them in freezing cold.  It would or could have helped along with preheating the arm.  Metal shrinks when it gets cold and expands when heated.  This is the way you do a ring gear on a manual flywheel(toss the ring gear in or over a direct fire and have the flywheel ice cold.  it just about drops right on like figging majic.

And why the heck did you take the spring out??????????

Oh well,,lol.

Reply #25
taking the spring out changes everything. You just lost your natural press assistant.

Leme revamp part 2 of the steps from earlier to include this unexpected variable.

Install Balljoint-do not install zerk fitting yet
-place balljoint in hole and tap into place getting it centered lined up. dont be a panty wuss, just a few good hard strikes on opposite sides alternating will get it started. just feel and look at the "ball joint stop lip" keeping it from getting cantered one way or the other.

[COLOR="Red"]-Insert your spring back in place
-jack up side of control arm until you feel presure [/COLOR]

-lower arm till ball joint bottom makes contact with shim only when jack is removed.
[COLOR="Red"]-insert a jack stand along either side of control arm as a safety catch[/COLOR]
-using hand sledge, beat on outter most part of control arm. you are beating the arm down over the ball joint.
[COLOR="red"]-alternate beatings in different areas of control arm to assist in centering the presure of your hammer.[/COLOR]
-once satisfied the ball joint is in, you might have a 1/16'' gap between the control arm and the ball joint "stop lip".
-install nut and tighten
-remove wood block
-remember to debur tie rod end stud / nut and test fit tie rod end nut prior to putting it on.

Reply #26
remember, the  thing isnt going to seat 100% unless you pull the arms and get it under a real press.  when mine are done, there is about a 1/16'' gap.  over time, they settle and seat themselves due to simply driving.  THis is one of those situations where size matters,,,,,and in my opinion, the psi reqired to press the joints in exceed that of most of your common off the shelf c clamp presses.  If i run into one that has like 20 or more threads per inch on the threaded rod, thats probably going to be the one that lasts a man the longest and does the job right because from what i see out there, this round stock probably only has like 12-14 threads per inch which sux ass berries.

the only way your going to get the gap 100% closed is to hone out the a-arm hole just a little bit. (no i didnt suggest this nor do i think its a good idea-very bad idea, just simply stating facts)

If you are considering removing the A arm,, please note what you will need to do on both bolts or your dropping the rack as well.  Or, just ignore this.  Cut off a portion of the pan head bolt after you get the nut off the rear.  Now your bolt slides off and out easy granted you have already yanked the dust boot off the rack and up the inner a decent distance.

Reply #27
Quote from: jcassity;253504
, dont listen to me.,,,, i didnt warn you about a gap underneath for no reason:D  Everybody seems to love the ole c-clamp but as you can see more than 50% of you end up with the same problem.  The clamp isnt strong enough and the thread count on the threaded rod should be double what it is to transfer the kind of leverage you need.

As for beating on the arm,, yeah right lol.  The only beating you did was on the end, good way to pen 15 eye the joint into the arm and make matters worse.
If anything, the jack should be directly under the ball joint and you should be alternating impacts (either side) on the arm beating it down over the joint.

I did foget to mention one thing though.  If your garage is heated,, then the metal on your car would be about room temp.  So........ you should have dropped your joints in the deep freeze over night and pressed them in freezing cold.  It would or could have helped along with preheating the arm.  Metal shrinks when it gets cold and expands when heated.  This is the way you do a ring gear on a manual flywheel(toss the ring gear in or over a direct fire and have the flywheel ice cold.  it just about drops right on like figging majic.

And why the heck did you take the spring out??????????

Oh well,,lol.

Quote from: jcassity;253506
taking the spring out changes everything. You just lost your natural press assistant.

Leme revamp part 2 of the steps from earlier to include this unexpected variable.

Install Balljoint-do not install zerk fitting yet
-place balljoint in hole and tap into place getting it centered lined up. dont be a panty wuss, just a few good hard strikes on opposite sides alternating will get it started. just feel and look at the "ball joint stop lip" keeping it from getting cantered one way or the other.

[COLOR="Red"]-Insert your spring back in place
-jack up side of control arm until you feel presure [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]-insert a jack stand along either side of control arm as a safety catch[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]-alternate beatings in different areas of control arm to assist in centering the presure of your hammer.[/COLOR]
-install nut and tighten
-remove wood block

Quote from: jcassity;253507
remember, the  thing isnt going to seat 100% unless you pull the arms and get it under a real press.  when mine are done, there is about a 1/16'' gap.  over time, they settle and seat themselves due to simply driving.  THis is one of those situations where size matters,,,,,and in my opinion, the psi reqired to press the joints in exceed that of most of your common off the shelf c clamp presses.  If i run into one that has like 20 or more threads per inch on the threaded rod, thats probably going to be the one that lasts a man the longest and does the job right because from what i see out there, this round stock probably only has like 12-14 threads per inch which sux ass berries.

the only way your going to get the gap 100% closed is to hone out the a-arm hole just a little bit. (no i didnt suggest this nor do i think its a good idea-very bad idea, just simply stating facts)

If you are considering removing the A arm,, please note what you will need to do on both bolts or your dropping the rack as well.  Or, just ignore this.  Cut off a portion of the pan head bolt after you get the nut off the rear.  Now your bolt slides off and out easy granted you have already yanked the dust boot off the rack and up the inner a decent distance.

I think I'm going to take your advice and just take off the A-arms and have them pressed in. I've been farting around with these things too long now its time to move on. Thanks for the response Scott
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #28
One of my biggest battles ever with a T-bird was removing an a-arm bolt.  It was the last bolt and boy was it a SOB!

Good luck, use lots of heat and an impact.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #29
Quote from: blu84302;253520
One of my biggest battles ever with a T-bird was removing an a-arm bolt.  It was the last bolt and boy was it a SOB!

Good luck, use lots of heat and an impact.

The a-arms came right out no problem, lets just say when I brought them to my buddys place we all had a nice laugh about it.

I totally missed the fact that the edge is part of the a-arm and not the balljoint. You guys must think I'm smoking something over here LOL.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT THEY ARE IN COMPLETLY! LOL:mad: :mad: :punchballs: :punchballs: :punchballs: I TOOK THEM OFF FOR NO REASON!! HAHAHAHA

That explains why the c-clamp was bending LOL. Well I hope someone else learns from this... I did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]