Skip to main content
Topic: Frustrated!!! 3.8NA - 3.8SC (Read 3569 times) previous topic - next topic

Frustrated!!! 3.8NA - 3.8SC

I have been paying a shop to do an engine swap for me and I keep doing more research then they are. Let alone the parts running. Its total BS.The motor is already in the car but coming down to the wiring these guys seem more lost then I am. They took MY t-bird haynes book and marked in the book what things are missing from my wiring harness!What kind of  shop doesn't carry HAYNES BOOKS?! Sad thing is I took out MY mustang book and located half of them. Problem lies with the shop not doing the work that was agreed apon.
I am trying to get a 3.8SC wired into a 1986 Mustang Lx that was originally a 3.8 N/A car. Does anyone know of a book that could help my with this wire up? I'm about to just yank my car from their shop and go somewhere else or attempt to do it myself. They have had it since mid-october. They agreed to $850-$900 bucks then raised me to about $1300, then last month asked for half down to keep them on my car. I haven't given any money at all, yet.All I can say is WTF?! I want my car and it needs to run. I drove her there so I need to drive her away. Am I being unreasonable? Thanks for any help you guys can pass on.

Reply #1
They should of had it done by now unless something majorly went wrong but from the sounds of it nothing has.  The shop that I work for we would of had it done within a week at the most.  they cant raise your price because they want to..  if you agreed on a price before taking them the car then they must stick to what they told you. Go tell them whats up and give them a deadline and if they dont meet the deadline take your car.

Reply #2
You need ford evtm's(electrical,vacuum,trouble shooting manual) for the year of sc the engine and wiring came from and for your mustang to know what goes where.
If the shop thinks it's more work than they thought,they can change the price to anything they feel is fair,(there is no law against it).
He got an estiment by the sounds of it and that's what it was,an estiment.
They probably misunderstood what he was wanting them to do and figured it a direct swap.
Evtm's can be had on ebay only,as they where once ford dealer only manuals.

Reply #3
Yeah 900 seems cheap to do that swap. There would be a lot of wiring work in that going from CFI to SEFI. Any decent shop would notice that immediately and put it in the estimate, but I guess they didn't. :wtf:

EDIT: What are they doing trying to use a Haynes manual for an engine swap anyways, no wonder they can't get anything done. :giggle: Do what dominator said, and buy a Ford EVTM manual for both cars or ask the shop why they aren't at least using Mitchell or Alldata.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #4
Reading this makes me miss my 93 SC. It was a fun car.
Whoa, that was fun!

Reply #5
The question is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto
Well, do ya?

Or maybe a better movie reference would be the "interrogation" scene wich preceeds the gun buy from "Ronin".
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
how hard could it really be? i wish i had something fun like that to do.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #7
Quote from: jncocowboyx;251455
how hard could it really be? i wish i had something fun like that to do.

Agreed.  Makes you question their general competence.  Personally, I've had bad luck with mechanics in general.  Makes it difficult for the mechanically challenged.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
GO GET THE CAR!! If you are unsatisfied with their work performance, you are paying them. They are working for you. FIRE THEM. GO GET YOUR CAR before it is too F'ed up to get it done. If the motor is sitting in there and you need to just wire it up. Get the EVTM for the Mustang and the SC. Get two complete FI wiring harnesses and pin them together. If you know how to read a schematic and can solder you can make this happen, or find another shop. A reputable auto electrical shop can do this for you.

Reply #9
Go get your car.
You'll probably need to give them the 1/2 of the originally agreed on price at least, but I doubt the work is going to get done to any kind of satisfaction at this point.

The heavy work is done w/ the engine in the car so now is the time for you to learn more about it by getting it wired up and running.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #10
I agree, get the car out of there. they may be doing more harm then good at this point. they should have had it figured out long before now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Well the fact that you haven't given them any money hasn't helped matters any (at least in their eyes), so it's just going to sit.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #12
1, Go settle up with the shop, get your car
2. Start reading here http://www.v6power.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=33. In particular the sticky at the top of the forum.
3. As suggested above get an EVTM for both cars, you'll save yourself, time money and headaches by doing so.
4. Dig in.........

Reply #13
What year sc did you get the wiring from????
I have an 89 thunderbird/cougar evtm i'd be willing to part with.

Reply #14
Quote from: dominator;251489
What year sc did you get the wiring from????
I have an 89 thunderbird/cougar evtm i'd be willing to part with.

Check me on this one since my memory isn't that great but somewhere in there was where Ford went from Speed Density to Mass Airflow on the T'Bird iirc. I'm not sure if it was just the NA cars or both??? Just something that could be a gotcha...