Skip to main content
Topic: exhaust exits... (Read 2895 times) previous topic - next topic

exhaust exits...

who here has flowmasters that exit before the rear tires?  i was thinking of making my own h-pipe  and having flowmaster 40's or 50's exiting before the rear tires....
has anyone done this?

pictures please?

-Blackjack

Re: exhaust exits...

Reply #1
nevermind, i found the perfect solution heh

Reply #2
Just curious, now that you show that picture.. but do any of your states have quirky laws about sidepipes? From what I was led to understand, Florida only permits sidepipes on "early 60s Chevy 2-doors". (read: Corvettes) But this was told to me many years ago. (like late 80s) and I haven't heard one way or another since. I don't see a lot of sidepipes down here, and I wonder if that law had anything to do with it. Since the next nearest state is like 300 miles away, I don't really have a convenient point of reference to compare.

Reply #3
Varies state-by-state, but I know in some states the exhaust MUST exit behind the wheels and either to the back or the side of the car.  The exhaust can't end under the car either.  I was pulled over by a State trooper because the exhaust was too loud on my 5.0 car, but all he said was to "maybe get some tailpipes, it might quiet it down some."

Reply #4
meh, my mind is never made up im still deciding (this is getting quite expensive) the sidepipes are allmost as expensive as the flowmasters i was after  grrr

anyone know of any longtube headers that will fit around the shift linkage?

Reply #5
I got used Flowmaster dual chambers for $40, stock mustang H-pipe for $20 and stock headers for free :dunno: I was thinking of going with dumps but got mustang tail pipes for $30

Reply #6
I know in Maryland the pipes must exit something like 6 inches behind the passenger compartment. So basicly in Maryland cars need tailpipes, but trucks can have pipes that exit in front of the back wheels.

Reply #7
Still legal here.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: zpyro
I was thinking of going with dumps but got mustang tail pipes for $30

You'll probably be glad you didn't do dumps.  Right now my '85s exhaust ends at the lers and it's incredibly loud in the car.

Reply #9
How about somthing like this. I used spintech ler. But each ler was about 100$ thou

Reply #10
How do those spintech lers sound on our cars?
I was lokking into them because there is a dealer not to far from me and all they had on their web site was a supercharges mustang video clip.

On my 88 3.8 bird I had the exhaust shop put a 5.0 H pipe on then right after the dyno max lers I put 45 degree turndowns on.
Sounded good until I got on it the it some how turned into a ricer sound comeing out from under the car.

Reply #11
My car sounded just like the one on thier site but mine was stock 5.0 ho

Reply #12
I have dumps. Actually i have the Flowtech Stinger CatBack (for sale) which dumps the exhaust right before the axle. In all honesty it was louder at idle and low rpms (-1500) than anything else. Unless you uncap the bypass... absurd. Scares ppl. XD
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #13
i do believe that these will fit..... but i might loose low gear

Reply #14
ive never seen a pair of lopng tube headers that work with the column shift
It's Gumby's fault.