Skip to main content
Topic: About therangerstation.com (Read 2116 times) previous topic - next topic

About therangerstation.com

Hello

I am not sure where to post this on this site. Mod move it to where it should be. I just received this from Jim Oaks founder and owner of TRS.

Dear Member,

I appologize for this email. I don't normally email the members but this is an emergency.

Today, (December 9, 2008) I received a letter from the law offices of Howard, Phillips & Andersen that represent the Ford Motor Company. Ford is forcing us to surrender the name 'therangerstation.com' to them and stop using it. Ford states that using the name 'Ranger' when used in reference to the Ford Ranger is a trademark violation. In addition they are wanting me to pay them $5,000.

As you may know, The Ranger Station has been around for the past 10 years and has been a valuable resource to Ranger enthusiasts.

If Ford does this to us, where will they stop?

I have 10-days to surrender the name and pay them $5,000. I'm asking that you contact Ford online and ask them to reconsider making us change our name and prohibiting us from using the word 'Ranger'.

You can contact them at:

https://secure.ford.com/footer/conta...=PublicAffairs

a sample of what one of the members wrote is:

"To whom it may concern:

I am writing concerning your recent legal attacks on various "fan" websites for vehicles such as the Mustang and Ranger. I am insulted by this careless misuse of our legal system and am reconsidering any further vehicle purchases from your company until you cease and desist from any further legal action concerning this subject. I have been a Ford owner for many years and I had hoped to stay that way. These attacks are morally wrong since they are geared towards your customers, and do not instill the least bit of confidence in your brand. For the sake of your business, I ask you to please reconsider immediately.

Thank you."

Thank you for your support and I applogize for this email.

Jim Oaks
TheRangerStation.com

Please express your opion to Ford. Who knows which site is next.

igiveup
86 ELAN t-bird all mustang parts (Sold)  I love this site.
85 bronco 2. Dura sparked (soon TBI) too many parts
1988 5.0 lx Stang (93 gt cobra mass air)
85 Honda 250sx trike
06 F150 tow rig. all kinds of goodies.(This is why I sold the Bird)
igiveup was the only name I could get. lol

Reply #1
Guess Ford really needs the money.

If I were the site owner I'd change the site to a Yogi Bear fan site...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
So should we convert this board to the canine family, ornithology and older women looking for younger men? :hick:

Reply #3
Quote from: EricCoolCats;246984
So should we convert this board to the canine family, ornithology and older women looking for younger men? :hick:

actually.. all we'd need to do is change one letter..

Foxy-bird/Cougar Forums

Reply #4
Or small wild dogs, Native American Bird Spirit (or an alternative email client, or a 60's marionette show), and big, nasty cats...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Quote from: baxo;246987
actually.. all we'd need to do is change one letter..

Foxy-bird/Cougar Forums

Freakin' brilliant!!! Is it wrong that the "new" name arouses me?¿?

:catbang:
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Reply #6
Quote from: CougrrrFiveO;246990
Freakin' brilliant!!! Is it wrong that the "new" name arouses me?¿?

:catbang:

+1 !!!!!!
1987 TC

Reply #7
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;246981
Guess Ford really needs the money.

x2

and a good way to ailianate the few people left with some interest in american cars  .............keep digging the hole deeper  domestic car companies

Reply #8
tell them to shove it so far up their arse they will  old rangers for years

Quote from: ?;247173
Screw you Ford... I'm going to get a ranger riding a mustang to restore your focus on the expedition needed to escape from the edge of bankruptcy.

Quote from: random im message;385099
need to pretend to get some awesome wheels for my invisible cars so i can pimp hard in my dreams at night...

Reply #9
I hope nobody ever takes a picture of a ford ranger without giving ford proper notification first. There's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Looks like some members of this site will need to change their names along with the name of the site. Did you all forget about that?

So, Nick can no longer be Blown Couger... he'll just have to be blown. :rollin:

Anyone with Fox, Bird, T-bird, Thunderbird, or Cougar in there screen names should change them now or risk lawsuit from the almighty Ford gawd.

Oh and you might have to remove the Cougar and T-bird smilies too...... theres gotta be some infringement in those.

shakes head... can't believe Ford is doing this....oh wait, yes I can....
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #11
Does that mean I'll get in trouble for building a Cougar?
and should I ask them if I can post pics of their car first? (or is it really my car?)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
I've been  a F@$d * HAD TO PROTECT MYSELF*  guy for ever, this is nuts. Oughta change the name to thunderchicken/furry lil s that ruin my paint forums. Worse comes to worse my next truck will be mopar...even if i have to rebuild one...toyota "trucks" don't cut it for me.
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #13
Seems it's spreading again just like the calendar issues.....

http://jalopnik.com/5106183/bold-moves-ford-threatens-enthusiast-sites-with-lawsuits-over-copyright-infringement

Bold Moves: Ford Threatens Enthusiast Sites With Lawsuits Over Copyright Infringement

In a recent letter to enthusiast web sites, Ford's reportedly requiring the relinquishment of all Ford trademarks including domain names, banners, signs and merchandise as well as a restitution payment of $5,000 by December 19th.

The days of the Carpocalypse are upon us and Ford is now taking it to the internet, web 2.0-style. In a recent letter received by enthusiast sites including, TheRangerStation.com, Ford is requiring the relinquishment of all Ford trademarks including domain names, banners, signs and merchandise as well as a restitution payment of $5000 by December 19th, 2008.

Enthusiast sites that have received a letter from the Howard, Phillips and Andersen legal firm will be required to promptly remove all FoMoCo-trademarked material and are threatening a $100,000 lawsuit on top of the aforementioned restitution payment.

Ford claims the unofficial use of their trademarked names are damaging, which we don't buy. The one thing we would buy is the desire to keep others from profiting from the Ford brand in the form of merchandise. But we're wondering whether Ford's lawyers should really be going after enthusiast web sites right now when they need friends anywhere they can get them.

Of course, maybe we're on the wrong track of thought here — maybe we should be thinking they’re looking to make a buck any way they can? Or could Ford be concerned the leveraged-to-the-hilt logos won't be worth as much to the automaker's growing corps of creditors? More than likely it's just another case of the lawyers not understanding what the value of positive PR is.

ALSO: 

http://www.michiganmustang.com/fordattacks.html

And last, but certainly not least:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32801
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
WOW! So what can we use now? I guess we'll have to blur the the whole car in our pics not just the plate. Watch out for the NFL, MLB and NHL. We cant talk about the games "legally"
1986 Cougar LS