Skip to main content
Topic: 347 Stroker Build (Read 3459 times) previous topic - next topic

347 Stroker Build

I know Im not the first. Anyways Im starting my 347 build, and Im going for decent power, but also being able to use that power.

I have a builder for the motor, since there will be alot of work being done to the block, heads, etc. He is currently building a 347 for his '65 Stang, and the way he has it setup it will push 500+ on pump gas.

Im looking for at least 400-450, Im thinking a N/A setup, but Im really digging the Vortech V-1. So heres my question and the help of starting this thread, If I want to build this myself, what do I need for a bulletproof bottom end for the possibility of adding a Vortech S/C, and with my 84 Im debating whether I should go Carbed or EFI. Parts, numbers, any suggestions I am open. I have a few ideas, but I havent bought anything so Im getting my list started.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

347 Stroker Build

Reply #1
i wouldnt worry so much about a "bullet-proof bottom end", unless you plan on getting an aftermarket block. TONS of people split the stock block around that HP level.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

347 Stroker Build

Reply #2
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;246877
i wouldnt worry so much about a "bullet-proof bottom end", unless you plan on getting an aftermarket block. TONS of people split the stock block around that HP level.

x2
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

347 Stroker Build

Reply #3
find a 87-92 shortblock and just boost it or spray it,i wouldnt waste the money on internals,when your just going to split the block into bits around the 500+ mark.

plenty of people have gone into the tens,and into the 9s on a bonestock shortblock.

DONT waste the money unless your putting all the goodies into an r block/dart block. you wouldnt build a house on a jello foundation would you?

Stroker Build

Reply #4
PM Sent.
Stroked and Blown
[SIGPIC]

347 Stroker Build

Reply #5
Agreed as above as the stock block will barley support the 347(with all the machine work to the block).
A 347 with boost will be in the 6-700hp range with the right parts,no room for the stock block in that equasion.
Just build a stock 306 with stock internals,use a trickflow stage 1 cam,1.7 roller rockers,a set of edelbrock/trickflow or afr 165 heads,holley systemax upper and lower,70-75mm throttle body and a set of 42lb injectors with mass air.
Get the supporting parts for boost(timing retard,wideband,255lph fuel pump)the get yourself a V1 or V2 s-trim and crank up the boost.
I run 14lbs on my stock 302 and she's stayed together for 3yrs so far.

347 Stroker Build

Reply #6
Ok see this is why I havent bought a  thing. Im just starting to round up parts because this is gonna be one hell of a build. Some of you know the history of my car. This car is going to be done right and the way I want it, and there is not side stepping or taking short cuts to anything. Everything will be redone.

Thanks for the tips on the new block. Planned on it.

Recommendations for the block to start with. Price is a factor, but Im willing to sacrifice time and money to get the right stuff the first time.

Once again, I am building a 347 Stroker. Im going to be supporting it with a well built tranny (recommendations on that also: C4, C6, etc.) And an all new suspension, either a beefed up trac-loc or posi unit, 5 lug swap, whole new cooling system. The works. Im looking for recommendations, tips, anthing to help get me started. Im making the list so I know what I need, and how much work Im getting into. I know Im going to be spending ALOT of time on this car, I planned on it, it is the one thing in my life i'll slave over and work my hardest for. I work my ass off at two jobs because I want to redo this car for my deceased uncle.

Track times, HP/TQ numbers are not what Im shooting for here. I want a 347, maybe N/A, but I love the sound and power of a blower, and there is probably no way I could find/put a top mounted blower on this motor and still fit it under the hood.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

347 Stroker Build

Reply #7
If you want to know how to build a SBF the right way, the first time, go to this board and register: http://www.sbftech.com/ Read, read, read, learn, read some more, and ask questions. There is a bunch of knowledge there. Also as to having the block done check out this guy: http://www.fordstrokers.com/ He's local to me and is one of the best guys out there. He will more than likely be building my next engine, when ever I blow up my 306 :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

347 Stroker Build

Reply #8
well since no one awnsered this i would go with efi more tunable for forced induction. also i would run a 5 speed behind that motor. More fun to drive that way. But a c4 or c6 would be a good choice if staying with the auto.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

347 Stroker Build

Reply #9
Get a AOD built up right to handle the power. Get a kenne bell super charger. That'll fit under the stock hood fine.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

347 Stroker Build

Reply #10
world or merlin on the block,

toss a TKO at it with a decent 6 puck clutch, with a decent bumpstick and a good carb& intake. Cheap, effective and fun

347 Stroker Build

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;247355
If you want to know how to build a SBF the right way, the first time, go to this board and register:  Read, read, read, learn, read some more, and ask questions. There is a bunch of knowledge there. Also as to having the block done check out this guy:  He's local to me and is one of the best guys out there. He will more than likely be building my next engine, when ever I blow up my 306 :hick:

i cant post url's yet, but x's 10 on the links provided above. if your gonna do it. do it once. dont fear top mounted blowers, theres way to fit 'em without getting cowl hoods. trust me. as for a tranny, how much ontrol do you want overthe tranny? im becoming a fan of built 4r70w's now, and will possibly sellin my built aod in the ner future to fo that route. look into 'em and see if thats more to yourlike than c4 and c6's. also dont be in a rush. your buileder should be able to point you in the right direction too.

347 Stroker Build

Reply #12
For 450-500hp, I don't think you'd have to go with a stoker motor, especially if you're thinking about a supercharger (if you want N/A, I bet a 351 would be a better choice, honestly).  The 5.0/5.8 section guys on Corral helped me a lot with my build; I'd say post there and they'll point you in the right direction.  As for a tranny, I say be a man and get a TKO 600 :) .

347 Stroker Build

Reply #13
Im not shooting for any specific power numbers, and I know a 347 will make around 500. What Im saying is Ive always wanted a 347. I love stroker motors, and a 331 would be nice, but I want to basically have the same size motor my car came stock with and build it as big and bad as possible. Ever since I have taken possession of this car a 347 is what I have shot for.

And dont get me wrong I would love a manual behind it, I love ripping gears especially with alot of power, but I really dont want to but up this car. This thing is so nice that even the 347 is iffy. Im putting it in there no doubt, but I really dont want to take away from this car since I want to build it up because it was my uncles car and I love this thing. The interior will be stock. I'll add some gauges in no descreet places, but the only thing you will notice other than wheels, the TC hood and exhaust it will look stock. It will sound hella mean and the engine will look built. But thats the look I want. Its hard to explain why Im sticking so hard with this direction, but this car means alot to me and my family.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

347 Stroker Build

Reply #14
oh come on Nathan....  it would look awesome as a Tiffany and a 347!!!:barf:  :slap:

EDIT:  I know I'm gonna get my butt kicked for this one lol