Skip to main content
Topic: lots of swapping...56k warning lots of pics... (Read 9640 times) previous topic - next topic

lots of swapping...56k warning lots of pics...

im sorry I havent been on for a while I just kinda bought some parts got some tech help and disappeared...
well by thanks to all those that have helped me on this forum and others I have started transforming my 1983 cougar...

here is what I started with... I got this car when I was in highschool about 8 years ago. stock v6 3.8l 2bbl with a c5. it was compleatly spotless, and ran like a champ... for about 3 weeks when it blew a head gasket... took it apart replaced both heads and 2 weeks later it blew another set.... and cracked the block... new engine went in... it broke 3 water pumps... the fricken thing is cursed...:mad: I parked it untill last year when I went to the dealer and bought nos parts... I paid a pretty penny but I got another 10k out of the car and decided I would keep it...

after some unfortunate events I wrecked the front clip so when I started working on the car last month I bought a front clip from a member on this site.
here is the test fit.

about that 3.8l...

this looks better

basic 302 non ho block ported e7 heads ported ho intake lower ported non ho upper b cam and forged pistons... I am going to turbo it in the future but I ran out of money this year...

v6 is gone... gave it away now it sits under the hood of a super coupe I hope he has good luck with it...

1981 ghia t-top: sed...
1983 cougar rb22 greddy turbo 5speed.

Reply #1
you dont really think I would keep it that ugly color did you....

fenders are done...

then the car...

Reply #2
ohh nooo where did my front suspension go...

it was replaced with 93 mustang gt spindles 11" rotors calipersand ford b springs. 90-10 struts.

she sits low now about 5-6 inchs off the ground...

and that 302...

this is where I am today. I will check back often and update the pictures when I get them...

thanks for all of your help in the past.

Reply #3
looking good, why didn't you paint the engine bay while the motor was out.
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #4
Quote from: 347Thunder;245684
looking good, why didn't you paint the engine bay while the motor was out.

lol... thats the third time... ooowell I am not done running wiring and such I thought it would be better to make it run drive get the turbos set up then after I know that it works and there will not be any more modifications done to the engine compartment I will paint it.

Reply #5
Interesting... 83 Cougar, with 87-88 Bird front... And TC at that! Each to his own. I think it looks good Im just a 4 eyed kinda guy. I thought about swapping mine to 87-88 on mine a few years ago but I really like the 4 eyed look now. I lie those rims! What size are they?Do you know the brand or anything?  Looks like its going to be a fun car when you get it done.

What are you going to do about the bumper trim and fender trim?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #6
Quote from: DVP;245744
Interesting... 83 Cougar, with 87-88 Bird front... And TC at that! Each to his own. I think it looks good Im just a 4 eyed kinda guy. I thought about swapping mine to 87-88 on mine a few years ago but I really like the 4 eyed look now. I lie those rims! What size are they?Do you know the brand or anything?  Looks like its going to be a fun car when you get it done.

What are you going to do about the bumper trim and fender trim?

the wheels are 16x8 they are made by mullins. I dont know any more about them... they do fit the car very well.

most of the trim will be completely removed I will paint on pin stripes instead.

Reply #7
I like it!!
should look very interesting and unique!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #8
ported non ho upper b cam

Tell me you made the throttle body opening at least 60 mm and are using at least a 60 mm throttle body. 

What are your ECU/injector plans?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;245784
Tell me you made the throttle body opening at least 60 mm and are using at least a 60 mm throttle body. 

What are your ECU/injector plans?

nope. stock and stock... at least for now. just smoothed the opening... I hope this will be enough of a bottle neck to keep the block together until I get a new engine built... right now I am just going to get it going with 19 pounders and speed density ecu. when I get the twins I will go up to 60 pounders and larger lines plus a a9p ecu and mass setup. I hope to put about 230 whp down na on 87 octane and about 500 whp on corn with 19psi. the next engine will be built with the goal of breaking the 1000 hp barrier.

Reply #10
No real need to bottleneck it.  The b-cam likes breathing up higher than a stocker....
50 mm aint really helping that......

I DO wonder how and if that is having any effect on your lower RPM range (below 3K).
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
ill tell you when I get the dyno sheets in when it goes out to be tuned... im just shooting for stock power at the tires vs. crank. I will be happy with that for now. patience my cougar friend... it will have plenty of power with the highly restrictive heads and intake, once boy meets boost.....

Reply #12
That stock upper plenum and stock log manifolds are going to kill the power on that motor...I would expect more like 190 rwhp...if even that...the "B" cam is not known to be a torquey cam...it DOES want some RPM but then the stock manifolds are killing you.  With an Explorer intake and throttle body with a better flowing exhaust, I would expect to see closer to 230-250rwhp depending on transmission...

Also, you'll be very disappointed with how the car runs on Speed Density with a "B" cam.

Good luck!
-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #13
I have 19lb injectors, HO computer, and HO intake egr spacer and TB
wanna make a buy?? would be a great addition, and ill cut you a good deal.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #14
Quote from: daboss351;245934
I have 19lb injectors, HO computer, and HO intake egr spacer and TB
wanna make a buy?? would be a great addition, and ill cut you a good deal.

mass or not? I have all the ho stuff here for speed density I just need a mass air computer.