Skip to main content
Topic: odd idle (Read 793 times) previous topic - next topic

odd idle

OK, well my cars finally running well after fighting it for a week. But now if it idles for more than a min or two itll spudder buck and die, but itll fire right back upo and idle for a while again before it dies.  Its not dieng at like stoplights, its more like your stuck n the taco bell drive through for 5 min(:punchballs: ) then it dies.  Also when your in park or neutral and rev it past say 3k itll die on its way back down.  I ordered a IAC valve from my work but i wanna know what it could be before i drop 60 bucks on the wrong part.:toilet:  It also idles at about 1200 when i thought i read it should be 900ish

odd idle

Reply #1
have you checked for any vacuum leaks??
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

odd idle

Reply #2
I have not found any, or any obvious ones.

odd idle

Reply #3
What drivetrain is in your car?

Unbolt the IAC and spray it out with carb cleaner, hook back up and set your base idle correctly, according to whatever engine you have.

Unhook the neg post on your battery for about 20min and rehook and drive awhile.
Mike

odd idle

Reply #4
sometimes it's not the iac, but the channels in the throttle body that the iac feeds......  also, i'm sure you checkes, but the intake throttle butterfly valve might be caked up with carbon too.... i'd clean the throttle body good before i bought parts

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

odd idle

Reply #5
OK thanks everyone!