Skip to main content
Topic: rear upper and lower control arms (Read 960 times) previous topic - next topic

rear upper and lower control arms

im looking at getting a set of rear upper and lower control arms.  i would like a solid upper set like the jegster brand, and somethink like the granatelli designed ones that i can adjust the lower spring pad height to set preload/ ride height. ive asked jegs, summit and granatelli, and they all cant give me a straight answer, will the upper and lower control arms for a fox body mustang fit under a t-bird??  also as far as the ones with heim (SP??) joints in it are those better for stuff like drag launches, and/or corner as to keep the rear end from binding as the rear end rolls or squats??  sorry im a noob and i did a few minutes of searching but couldnt find a definative anser
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #1
No, Mustang RCA's are different than Tbird/Cougar ones, especially the uppers.

CHE makes Tbird-specific RCAs.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
thanks for the reply.  but which is all around better and still durable.  adjustable or fixed ends??
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #3
Heims are not really good for a DD as they transmit a lot of noise thru the car. Depends on your tolerance of that kind of stuff I guess.
On my drag project, it has rod ends on all of the RCA's. On my DD/ weekend strip warrior, I just ordered uppers and lowers with the urethane ends and am replacing the upper axle bushings with spherical bearings-trying to get my 60' times lower than 1.67.
Adjustable is good for setting pinion angle (uppers) or adjusting ride height (lowers). HTH.
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #4
I'm running the CHE lower w/adj. perch & upper arms on my Cougar. The ride is decent for the street, yet they are quite firm for drag-racing. This year I was running 1.5x 60' times with this setup - launches straight as an arrow. And I'm dumping the clutch @6000 RPM on these launches.

CHE Products

You can get heim joint adjustable uppers from CHE if you don't mind the harsher ride and absolutely need adjustability.

11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.