Skip to main content
Topic: Rare find in the yard today. (Read 5811 times) previous topic - next topic

Rare find in the yard today.

Came across an 87-88 Cougar with manual crank windows and cruise delete.  Ponder that for a moment.  I take a pic tomorrow, as I'll be taking the crank windows for myself!

Reply #1
I'd love to find an 87-88 without power windows. And maybe one with only one rear veiw.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Holy back from the edge of the universe, Batman!

Where u been hidin?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
Med school and car hobbies don't go well together, so I don't hang around the forums much while my T-bird sits in storage (been sitting for about 4 years now).  I've been lurking on NATO the past couple months now, posted a couple times.  I bought a tastic 87 TC a couple months ago and have been slowly getting it back to working condition.  It's rusty in the rears, but I only plan to drive the car, not restore it.  Eventually I plan to take the drivetrain and put it into a factory5 cobra, once the body completely rots away and after I'm done with school and residency (about 4 years from now). 

My last post here I talked about the 1994 SHO MTX I purchased.  I've since sold that car.  It was a fun and sharp looking car, but I was given an offer for it that I simply could not refuse.  I also sold my 87 Mustang SSP to a close friend, as it had also been sitting for 4 years, and now nobody makes/sells foxbody mustang body panels anymore (hard to believe, I know).  Then I bought a Chevy :punchballs: It's a 2003 Monte Carlo SS (the fake SS, with the NA V6).  It's a very reliable car which should require very little maintenance, which is why I bought it, but I missed shifting my own gears, so when a clapped out Turbocoupe popped up near me, I decided I'd give it a whirl and have two cars: one reliable/boring car, and one extremely unreliable/maintenance w/POS/mothers grab their children as I drive by/money pit/rusting as I type/even the homeless don't bother to ask me for money/fun to drive Thunderbird Turbocoupe.  Nostalgia baby. :hick:

Reply #4
I actually looked at an hunk of junk 88 xr7 with manual windows in Dallas.  Couldn't believe they weren't power.

Reply #5
Quote from: xjeffs;241218
I actually looked at an hunk of junk 88 xr7 with manual windows in Dallas.  Couldn't believe they weren't power.

I'd consider that to be very rare.  This cougar is a base model.  I can't imagine an XR7 with manual windows.  Odd indeed.

Reply #6
I'm interested in seeing what the cruise delete steering wheel looks like. I've never seen an 87-88 Cougar without cruise control.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #7
Quote from: joefriday;241221
I'd consider that to be very rare.  This cougar is a base model.  I can't imagine an XR7 with manual windows.  Odd indeed.

I've seen a 88 Sport with manual windows and mirrors... No controls on the console panel at all... To top it off, it was black with sand beige interior(seen one TC with that color combo)...

Reply #8
My son's old '87 Sport had manual windows, and one outside mirror. Had a blank console plate.:hick:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #9
I've seen a cougar, i believe it was an 86 in the boneyard with manual windows. It may have been an 85, im not sure because I can only identify 87/88. All I know is it has a whitebackround instrument cluster, which I would have loved to install in my bird, but the long rectangular shape of it was obviously not the same as the 88 bird.

Are the manual window setups something you guys want? I'm sure next time I'm up there i could take them apart for ya'll. I love junkyards anyway, if you paid for shipping and what is costs me, It'd be happy to.

Reply #10
I've been looking for manual windows for my 87 Tbird for a while now, and so far have had no luck.  But I'm not sure if the 86 and older will fit.
1987 TC

Reply #11
If the cruise delete wheel is the same as on an 86 then it looks like this.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #12
Whoa, I'm pretty sure I have never seen that before. I bet that's pretty rare.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #13
The crank windows:

The cruise Delete:

Forgot to mention: power locks delete!

Reply #14
i'Ve seen the same options. on one car. didnt even have a tape deck just am/fm radio. had to take the radio just because.  and it was tan interior. sand color car. weird indeed isnt it .
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!