Skip to main content
Topic: New Turbo Question... (Read 1177 times) previous topic - next topic

New Turbo Question...

With the old one confirmed to be dead, it's time to pick up a new turbo.  I was looking at T3/T04E Garrett's around the intraweb, is this a good route to go on stock injectors?  I'd still run around 18psi, but I've always heard people say "Be careful you don't melt a piston."

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat360trw63a.html

New Turbo Question...

Reply #1
P.S. Why are T3/T04E's cheaper than T3's?  I always thought they were an upgrade...

New Turbo Question...

Reply #2
well i cant say why t3/t4 hybrid is cheaper than the t3... but i will say the comment regarding melting pistons has more to do with using cast/hypereurectic (sp) pistons.  also another thought is bigger turbo more airflow would mean more combustion chamber pressure and possible detonation if it isnt tuned right

New Turbo Question...

Reply #3
well i cant say why t3/t4 hybrid is cheaper than the t3... but i will say the comment regarding melting pistons has more to do with using cast/hypereurectic (sp) pistons.  also another thought is bigger turbo more airflow would mean more combustion chamber pressure and possible detonation if it isnt tuned right

New Turbo Question...

Reply #4
Picked up a AiResearch T3/T4 today for $200 cash.  It's a .60/.63 with a new center.  Absolutely no play.  BUT, one of the fins is oh-so-slightly bent, and it just barely rubs against the compressor housing.  Do I need to replace the compressor wheel or can I gently sand the fin down so that it doesn't rub anymore?  About .5mm and it won't rub.

New Turbo Question...

Reply #5
You'll need to get it rebalanced if you keep that wheel.  It might be cheaper in the long run to get a replacement, depending on what's what in your area.  Is there a reputable turbo dealer near you?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Turbo Question...

Reply #6
Not sure...  I still have the wheel from my T3 though.  If I swapped that over would I have to get it rebalanced as well?

New Turbo Question...

Reply #7
Quote from: tc²;240839
Not sure...  I still have the wheel from my T3 though.  If I swapped that over would I have to get it rebalanced as well?

No...  Each wheel is balanced seperately.  Swapping the wheel would be OK.

However, you should check the shaft diameter between the two.  Sometimes they are different.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

New Turbo Question...

Reply #8
I think I might've gotten owned...

Is the T4 housing not physically bigger than the T3 housing?  My T3 housing fits onto this "T3/T4" turbo, suspiciously.

Old vs. New

New Turbo Question...

Reply #9
Looks that way.  Sucks.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

New Turbo Question...

Reply #10
No wonder it was only $200.

Atleast I have the right compressor wheel now...

New Turbo Question...

Reply #11
I thought that the wheel size is related to the clearance in the housing, not the overall size of the housing, the size of the housing is more of the A.R. ratio. With all that being said, look at the housing on a stock IHI as opposed to a stock Garrett, the IHI is about half the size and they are both T-3 . I have a friend that just bought a wheel and then had his compressor housing machined. Is it possible on yours or are the wheels the same size?

New Turbo Question...

Reply #12
that comp housing is from a garret t3 super 60 series turbo from a merkur/ turbocoupe w/o intercooler.  you got jacked.  a t3/t4 is only a t3 turbine housing with a t4 comp wheel and housing.
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission