Skip to main content
Topic: paint guns (Read 4213 times) previous topic - next topic

paint guns

i know there are at least a few of you on here who has painted your own cars, so my question is what kinds of guns are you using? i have done some paint on the blue truck that is my avatar but that was a cheap gun and another friend of mine offered to go in and possibly completely buy me a gun for painting his truck, so i was wondering what way to go. i was thinking maybe a 2 or 3 gun kit by DeVilbis from eastwood or something, but im still undecided. lol i need some suggestions because i want a good gun but i dont want it to be super expensive because im probably only gonna use it a couple times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

paint guns

Reply #1
How much are you willing to spend for what quality

Here's a Devilbiss I bought that comes with 3 tips
Best gun I've ever used (so far)

Devilbiss GFG-670G "Plus" - Gravity Feed Spray Gun

• Comes with three fluid tips allowing you to spray low & high solids colors, clears & single stage automotive paints.
• High solids clear coat gun of choice - precision engineered #410 air cap lays out a smooth, high gloss finish.
• High speed coverage saves time - 20% larger spray pattern and 15% more fluid flow than traditional air spray or reduced pressure guns due to optimized air cap and tip design.
• Higher transfer efficiency - Greater than 65% transfer efficiency saves materials and improves visibility.
• Waterborne compatible - stainless steel fluid tip and needle, electroless nickel plated gun body inside and out. PLUS is gun washer safe.
• Quick clean-up and upside down spraying with optional "EZ-Liner" disposable cup liners.
• Comes with 1.2mm, 1.3mm, 1.4mm fluid tips, 32oz. aluminum cup with lid, air adjusting valve with gauge. spray lube, fluid filter and gun hook.
This, like all DeVilbiss Gravity Feed Guns, works great with the optional cup liners. • Air consumption: 9 cfm at 30 psi inlet pressure • Air cap pressure does exceed 10 psi
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

paint guns

Reply #3
$300 for the gun.
The liners were $30 extra. Well worth the price for cleanup and upside down spraying
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

paint guns

Reply #4
$300 is too much. i dont wanna spend that much when the gun is only gonna be used probably like 3 times. i was thinking something like the DeVilbiss startingline kits. im not asking for something too expensive because i really just wanna get some more experience right now and im no professional so i cant be charging like one. heres what i was thinking
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=15988&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1339&iSubCat=1354&iProductID=15988
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=15988&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1339&iSubCat=1354&iProductID=15988
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

paint guns

Reply #5
I've heard that they don't spray clear or finish coat very well..
What kind of quality are you looking for..
sometimes it's hard to get good at something if you don't have a decent tool.
There's a few guys around that paint. I'm sure they'll chime in

I've heard the blue DeVilbiss finishline 3 guns are decent for $150. 2 steps above the eastwood guns
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

paint guns

Reply #6
im looking for pretty good quality, but at a good price. i mean, the blue truck was painted with a $50 walmart gun and it didnt turn out too bad. it did have the orange peel effect goin on though. but im just guessing that bottom of the line DeVilbiss is gonna be better than a top of the line walmart gun. lol but thats why i posted this thread because i wanna hear some of your oppinions before i decide on a gun.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

paint guns

Reply #7
It's like anything else, you can only expect the quality of the tool you use.
I would expect the startingline guns to be above the walmart gun.
what type of gun is the walmart gun? low pressure?
the orange peel could have been several reasons

personally I would get the 1 better gun with the extra tips over 2 lower quality guns for the same price. You can only use one gun at a time anyway and use the liners to keep the cup clean
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

paint guns

Reply #8
Link to the gun
I also belong to this forum
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DEVFLG647&Category_Code=1D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

paint guns

Reply #9
alright well i am really looking at the devilbiss finish line now and i was just wondering whether there is a real difference between the blue anodized guns and the chrome guns? i was just wondering because i think there is a price difference between the two
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

paint guns

Reply #10
buy a DeVilbiss they are much better than any cheap gun. Its all I will use. Cheap guns don't spray as nicely. A cheap DeVilbiss would be better than an expensive cheapo gun.

paint guns

Reply #11
You might be surprised. If you buy a high quality gun, you may want to use it more than you think. I finally bought a new clear gun this summer and I went with a SATAjet 3000 RP. It was around $500, but I won't be buying another one for many many years and you're never going to lay down a beautiful paint job with a $50 gun. Painting is one of those areas where the tools really can help make the man. Cut corners on hammers or screwdrivers if you want, but not on paint guns. With as much work as it takes to prep a car for paint, why wouldn't you want the best job possible? The worst slap in the face a guy can have is someone walking around his car, kind of smirking, and then saying, "Painted it yourself, huh?" You want them to ask you who painted it, you to say you did it yourself and then for them to say, "Really? Wow!!"
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

paint guns

Reply #12
I have yet to figure out the diff. between the blue and the chrome guns. the most expensive one and the cheaper ones are blue.
mabe someone knows
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

paint guns

Reply #13
I use a DeVilbiss suction gun model JGA502 (not a gravity) over 30 years, and I always satisfied, and I'll paint again with it, and for years and years.

Other guns have a great shooting but the DeVilbiss JGA 502 is MY gun...

Regards,

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

paint guns

Reply #14
do not use the high pressure guns, unless you like wasting paint on overspray....  use a HVLP gun.  I have both of those devilbiss starting line guns, and love them.  I painted my blue '88 Thunderbird with them and also my fender on my XR-7 before CJ...  I planned to paint the cougar this summer with them but I just I am getting behind schedule and will have to wait till next summer...  or rent a booth...