Skip to main content
Topic: TRX's - Rated PG-13 (For Penetration References) (Read 3576 times) previous topic - next topic

TRX's - Rated PG-13 (For Penetration References)

I got a set of TRX from a 83 GT mustang. I am paying 200 for all 5. I was wondering if someone could take the pic of one of the tire and put it on the thunderbird, basicly photoshop it and r post it on this pforum thanks. Let me know if I am getting a good deal.

Does anyone know how I can fix the dint.

Reply #1
What condition are the tires?Good luck finding new ones that are affordable.I've always heard they are hard to find.I hope I'm wrong.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
The tires are the original tires from 83 but I think my tire guy can get them.

Reply #3
$200? Ouch. People usually give those things away as tires for them are $$$$$$$
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
+1...I didn't even think you could get tires for them any more!

Reply #5
I am going to call my tire guy, Could find them on the internet, so thanks.

Reply #6
Dude, if you're paying $200 for a set of utterly useless TRX wheels (and bent ones, at that!) you're a fool. There's just no polite way of saying it.

TRX rims use a unique tire that has been out of production for 20 years. You cannot use 14, 15 or 16" tires. You MUST use TRX-specific 390mm tires. Unless those rims come with brand new tires they're worthless.

Seriously. You wanna find out what TRX wheels are worth? Call your local s yard and find out what aluminum is going for by the pound. Then find out what the wheels weigh. Multiply the two together, then subtract the cost of de-mounting the tires that are on them, and you have your TRX wheel value. We're talking $20 range here.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Apparently you can still get them new -- from pen 15ER!

http://store.pen 15er.com/220-55vr390-michelin-trx.html
[SIZE="5"]
$417 a piece for the period correct 83-84 tires.[/SIZE]
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Besides the hard to find, $$$$$, too short tires (that you'll never find while on a road trip if needed), ... they aren't very pretty either. 

Guess each to his own ... but around here, a TRX wheel will bring $15 as s.

Reply #9
Yep, sorry bud but you got HOED.

The wheels are worth s price and nothing more.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #10
If you want to hold on to them for 30 -50 years and you happen to come across someone that is restoring a mustang that HAS to have those rims you could make your money back. I was quoted $300-320 a tire about 4 years ago. Prices could only go up on a tire that isnt used.

Or you could just wait for a sucker to pay $200 for them again...
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #11
I only have ONE thing to say....search owns all.

Whether here, or google, or whatever makes your day...fergawdsakes, look around before you throw money at parts.

Hope those wheels came with lube, because man...you got ass-raped.

(And I thought when I paid 25 bucks for 4 of mine I was gettin shafted...sheesh!)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
heeheeheee
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #14
Well,until the "ass-raped" remark,we were still rated "G".I think that makes this thread rated PG-13 now.Could be good.There's potential in this thread for some action........I just hope no more "ass-raping".
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..