Skip to main content
Topic: Home Project (this one's for you, Jim Miller) (Read 5038 times) previous topic - next topic

Home Project (this one's for you, Jim Miller)

Reply #15
Quote from: kitzdnm;230276
Sure you can.Hey do you do mail order? I give you the size you make doors?

Doors huh,
Depends on size and quantity. and, what do you have to trade for my car?

I probably can build a motor, just never have done it.
I have replaced lifters and timing chains, and put a shift kit in a transmissions. not to mention all the normal stuff that wears out after 20 years or so.
But I've never built a motor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #16
Today I routed out the backs of the glass doors, so glass can be held in with clips.
and I also sanded the doors again and filled any defects in the wood.

It's tough to get a good shot of it

I cleaned up the shop today and tomorrow I'll be ready to put the color coat on. and then the clear
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #17
Norm Abram would be proud!
1987 TC

Reply #18
Norm is the man.
If you look at his router table. thats where I got the idea for mine.
I just have some extras.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #19
I've got a trivia question.
What year cougar color is on the guitar hanging on the wall?. (2nd from left)
I need to touch up the dings on the bottom edge, but lost the can with the year and color. I'm thinking 91?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #20
I have several myself.  But I believe the early 90's maroon is right.

My guitars just keep the dings, lol
1987 TC

Reply #21
Looking good.  I'm hoping to buy a house sometime soon to get away from the apartment thing.  Then I can play.
One 88

Reply #22
Well . I jump on here see my name and that it's you then expect some pic's and see that you used Photobucket, My work blocks photobucket.

No worries, I get off in 45 min, looking forward to checking these out soon as I get home.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #23
So today I got to try out my new gun.
All I can say is "Holy "
worth every penny.

here's the secret to finishing. Don't tell anyone
the way to make a perfect color finish is to dye the wood, not stain it.
I use alcohol and tint dye. Mix it together to the color you like and put it on the wood. I spray it because this combo will be dry in about 3 min.
The alcohol wont raise the grain either.
most guitar companies use this method to stain the wood a color and still highlight the grain. Gibson Les Paul guitars come to mind first

Here's a test piece

this is my base color. another color will go on top of this one.
Got the base color on in about 2 hrs.

Now for the next color.

you can see the diff. in color here

The reason for the 2 colors is:
the first color stains all the wood an even tone.
the next color red will grab the grain and highlight it

after everything is dry. I put a waterborne clear coat on.
here you can see how the red grabs the grain of the wood

Here they are all ready to be sanded down and cleared again.

Cabinet doors,
seems simple enough.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #24
Jerry, those look great.  My wife refused me to build our house (finished last Fall....by us as the contractor bailed), and when it came to cabinets, she wanted cherry, with brushed nickel hardware, and a dark brown speckle countertop with light brown specks.  We got the opposite color countertop, and he bought "in-stock" Menards cabinets unfinished white oak, with no hardware.  He used minwax to try to dye them the dark cherry color.  Didn't turn out so hot.  Your method would have done the trick.  I don't dare remind my wife that things would have been different had I done the general contracting.  Such are the lessons in life.
1987 TC

Reply #25
Amazing!
 And I'll be getting a chance to try some of this  out this winter. I still need doors for the two crawl spaces in the house. We  just stuck a piece of rock in there and trimmed around it for now in order to  get the OK to move in. I'm doing similar right now with the doors for my shed  (practice before the house) and A buddy aw work suggested I use the biscuit  jointer to join the corners. He described it but this is the first time I have  seen one.
 What's the Lumber your using there? By color it  looks like Pine must be a pretty good grade as I don't see one knot in it  anyplace.
 Gorilla gluing together I see... I was planning to  use Liquid nails.. the gorilla work better?
 Die not stain.. I never heard of such a thing...  can this stuff be picked up at Home Depot or Lowes? And once sprayed.. do you  rub it off at all like you do stain or just spray and leave it?
 Two colors... just a lighter and a darker, or does  it matter? what colors did you use here?

I have a router with a cheesy sheet metal table  that came with it.. I would like to see some more pic's of yours if you get the  chance.. might be a good winter project before I start on the doors for those  crawl spaces.

Thanks Jerry.. that's great work!
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #26
Wow that's great. I really like the color your setteled on.

Wanna redo my kitchen cabnets? They are from when the house was built in 1956 :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #27
Quote from: Jim_Miller;230896
Amazing!
 And I'll be getting a chance to try some of this  out this winter. I still need doors for the two crawl spaces in the house. We  just stuck a piece of rock in there and trimmed around it for now in order to  get the OK to move in. I'm doing similar right now with the doors for my shed  (practice before the house) and A buddy aw work suggested I use the biscuit  jointer to join the corners. He described it but this is the first time I have  seen one.
 What's the Lumber your using there? By color it  looks like Pine must be a pretty good grade as I don't see one knot in it  anyplace.
 Gorilla gluing together I see... I was planning to  use Liquid nails.. the gorilla work better?
 Die not stain.. I never heard of such a thing...  can this stuff be picked up at Home Depot or Lowes? And once sprayed.. do you  rub it off at all like you do stain or just spray and leave it?
 Two colors... just a lighter and a darker, or does  it matter? what colors did you use here?

I have a router with a cheesy sheet metal table  that came with it.. I would like to see some more pic's of yours if you get the  chance.. might be a good winter project before I start on the doors for those  crawl spaces.

Thanks Jerry.. that's great work!

I'm actually using Poplar and Birch plywood. That's the reason for the dye. It can be dyed to look like cherry at a fraction of the cost (with a lot of practice). stain would make the 2 diff woods take differently, and the color wouldn't match each other. dye will always make any wood the same color.
You can get the dye at veneersupplies.com
Thats the first time I've used that brand glue. I like it a lot. the regular stuff works great to, but you have to wet the ends before gluing it.
The wood, I buy from a lumber Co. they will always get higher quality lumber then Home Depot or Lowes. They buy the stuff that the lumber co. rejects. that's why their prices are always cheaper.

The dye has to be sprayed or brushed very quickly because it dries within seconds in alcohol. You can use water with the dye, but it raises the grain badly. There's nothing to wipe off. It also takes a lot of practice to use the dye, and mix it to the right color to use. I used reddish brown and red mahogany. but you can use any combo or single colors to make your custom color.

I'll get some pics of my router table. Made the big one for about $40 plus the $200 variable speed 1/2" router. The cabinet cutters were also about $200+ for the set.

I'll post some more pics as i'm working on them.
Next is the glaze over the finish. Yes, it gets more complicated. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #28
Door update....
After working the last couple weekends. And not on my car, :mad:
I finished the first batch of cabinet doors today.

Here's cutting in the hinges.

I use so many in a year, I always buy in bulk.
Ebay, less then $1 a piece

Here's some pics of the kitchen now.
I need to get the glass and finish all the lowers and trim

This is one of those build as you go projects.
There's always something that changes before were done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #29
those are the same hinges as my computer desk.  I'm looking at them as I read this, lol.
1987 TC