Skip to main content
Topic: will a set of '93 Cobra GT40's (Read 1497 times) previous topic - next topic

will a set of '93 Cobra GT40's

fit on a flat top piston motor?  Namely my stock shortblock from the XR-7 with an E303?

I just made a deal for a set of rebuilt Cobra heads with 1.7RR's (yes I know they wont work) and should have them by the weekend..  was thinking of bolting them on this weekend if they will work...:burnout:  how much power should it pick up?  I am at 200hp/255lbs/ft, at the wheels now...

Reply #1
You will probly gain somewhere near 15-20 h/p with the heads stock for stock.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
They will work ron,but as you said .530" lift with those 1.7s on flat tops will equal "smack".

Reply #4
Quote from: dominator;229625
They will work ron,but as you said .530" lift with those 1.7s on flat tops will equal "smack".

Ok, as long as I use 1.6's, or the stock rockers they will be fine on this motor right?
I really dont feel like building another motor and swapping in yet...:D

Reply #5
They *should be* ok. Just clay it first before you start it ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;229645
They *should be* ok. Just clay it first before you start it ;)

werd!

those .030 over pistons could be closer to the top of the deck than stock SO pistons, and you dont know if the block has been decked. nor if the heads have been milled for that matter.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #7
YEP,just not the 1.7s.
As said it would be around .530"lift
Stock SO bottom end is safe under .500"

Reply #8
I have yet to see an SO motor with true flat top pistons...every one I've pulled apart has dished pistons with no valve reliefs...that's why the '86 GT's have 9.2:1 compression with the same heads as the SO...true flat-tops...ours are listed as 8.8:1 or 8.9:1 nominal...not having valve reliefs doesn't necessarily equal "flat top".

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #9
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;229705
I have yet to see an SO motor with true flat top pistons...every one I've pulled apart has dished pistons with no valve reliefs...that's why the '86 GT's have 9.2:1 compression with the same heads as the SO...true flat-tops...ours are listed as 8.8:1 or 8.9:1 nominal...not having valve reliefs doesn't necessarily equal "flat top".

-Don

he has a 306, not a factory SO 302.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #10
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;229708
he has a 306, not a factory SO 302.

I definitely read past that part...lol.  :hick:
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #11
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;229705

-Don

86 GT = 9.2:1
87-93 GT = 9.0:1
The 86 had totally flat top pistons. The non-HO engines had a dish in the top, but no valve reliefs.  87-93 had dishes with valve reliefs..

That being said; put replace e6 heads with e7's and you will raise compression.
See below:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #12
Almost forgot:  PTV clearance...

Piston to valve clearance is the relationship is just that, the distance from the valve to the piston during the most critical time in the engines cycle, that time is the "overlap".  No other time during the engines cycle is the piston closer to the valve than in the overlap. Overlap occurs at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke. This is the time when both the intake and the exhaust valves are open simultaneously.

A lot of people have used the max lift number when calculating piston to valve clearance and that is probably the single worst method. When the valve reaches it's maximum lift point the the piston is actually furthest away traveling down the cylinder bore drawing the intake charge in. The minimum clearances commonly used are .080 on the intake valve and .100 on the exhaust valve. For people using an aluminum rod it's a good idea to  allow more clearance as the aluminum rods stretch when in operation.

To use the clay method take a 1/4th inch amount, cover the valve reliefs on your piston and rotate the engine one full cycle. Make sure it's 2 revolutions past top dead center. Take the head back off and peel the clay away. The best benefit of clay is that you can use an x-acto knife and cut it into sections and measure exactly where the thinnest area is, if there is any. Remember .080 and .100 minimum thickness.

The next method takes a little practice but is great if you dont want to take the heads off the car, although it will be necessary to replace the intake and exhaust valve springs on one of the cylinders. It's best to use a checking spring, but if you don't have a dedicated light weight spring, take a trip to your local hardware store. Remember the spring only has to have enough pressure to keep the valves fully closed and return an open valve back to it's closed postition.

Now you want to adjust the rockers to zero lash. What is important here is if you are using a hydraulic type cam, wether it be a hydraulic roller or flat tappet hydraulic cam. Do NOT preload the lifter. All you want to do is take all the movement out of the pushrod WITHOUT collapsing the plunger in the lifter. Make sure you do this adjustment when the lifter is on the base circle of the cam which is at top dead center on the compression stroke.

You will need feeler gauges set to 0.100 thousandth's. Start with your piston at top dead center and rotate one full revolution in normal operating rotation. The piston starts traveling back up the bore, the exhaust stroke starts to occur, and the exhaust valve will start opening. Watching the valve train you will notice the exhaust valve opening till it's fully open. As you are approaching top dead center you will notice the intake valve starting to open before the exhaust valve is fully closed. This is the area of overlap, usually about 10-15 degress before and after top dead center. Both the intake and exhaust valves are open and the piston is near the top.  During this overlap point is when you want to measure the piston to valve clearance.

The piston is so close to to the top that you can push down on the nose of the rocker and actually feel the valve making contact with the piston. Now; with your feeler gauge set to 0.100, insert the feeler gauge between the valve stem tip and the rocker arm. If you can insert the gauge at 0.80 for the intake and 0.100 for the exhaust then you have enough piston to valve clearance.

It may take you some trial and error  before you can identify the prescise overlap period at which you need to check the clearances, but this is a good way for someone that does not want to take off the heads.

I highly suggest you go through the steps above several times, it is VERY easy to miss the overlap, resulting in very unaccurate measurements. Work slow and this process can be accomplished by just about anyone.

Final note, if your measurements are say less than 0.10, for example there is .090 clearance on the intake you can retard the camshaft and play around with that but remember that will also affect performace charactersitics of the cam.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
It's been so long since I've seen a stock 87-93 HO that I don't even remember them having dishes in addition to the valve reliefs. The pistons I'm running have valve reliefs but no dish.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
The difference in CC's due to the dish is less than the combustion chamber size difference between e6 and e7 heads.....