Skip to main content
Topic: Twins update page (big pics, bigger dope taking them:) ) (Read 3366 times) previous topic - next topic

Twins update page (big pics, bigger dope taking them:) )

well, now that i have it, i can finally tell the story (didn't want to jinx it).....

well, when we lived in south carolina last year, they built a walmart by our house....  i went there one day after they opened and to my surprise, there was a 2-tone cougar parked there... so i parked next to it and spyed it....  it was an 84 gs with power options....  cool....  so, for the next month or so, every time we went to the walmart, it was there and we parked next to it (my youngest loved parking near it most), i figured it belonged to someone who worked there for the opening...(it had indiana plates).....  sooooooo, one night, the wife and i went there, and for fun parked in front of it, and when we walked out to our van after shopping, we saw the car's owner was there!  well, we started to talk to him and found out that he had transfered there and worked in the tire and lube.... cool.... we told him about our "twin" car and he told us he wanted to turn his into a tiffany (we can all dream)....  so my wife gave him her card with her email address (she wrote the coolcats web addy on the back), wished him luck, and told him that if he was ever interested in selling it, give us a ring......

that was almost a year ago

last week, my wife got an email from him telling her that he had to move, so the cougar was for sale....  well, we live in florida now, so with gas as it is, and the fact that he needed it sold by july 31, i told my wife to politely reply that while we wished we could get it, we could only offer $200 for it at this time...............  he replied --- that's what the junkyard said, and he'd rather a collector to have it, so if i could get it this weekend, he'd take 200 for it!!!  needless to say, i drove up there yesterday and it is now sitting safely in my parents backyard waiting to be transported to florida!!!!:burnout:

the body is in pretty good shape, paint is rough, surface rust under the car (indiana car) and the passenger door electrics don't work.... also, it has a huge power drain that kills the battery overnight and doesn't like to be jumpstarted......

the interior needs a headliner, dashpad, visors, and a center console, but the seats and door panels are super clean......  i think we did good :)

after i finally got it started, it drove 25 miles to my parents house without a hiccup, i'd say that's a good sign :)

kinda funny how life can find you something good.....  must have had some kharma coming my way

we just think it's awesome that other than the red pinstripe, it has the same paint as our 83:bowdown:

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #1
pics

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #2
more pics with a side by (over) side pic....

one day they will be together....

now the wife says i have my own cougar.......  maybe i'll take both:evilgrin:

Reply #3
Nice find!  That's awesome.  If I could find a deal like that, I'd have myself a DD!

Reply #4
Congrats :cheers: mywifeskitty now you will have (2 cats) to go out for a night prowl with !!! ;)

Reply #5
well, maybe i can turn the 84 into a dd one day :)... i just noticed on the side by side that the 84 (top) has the 2-tone going past the tail light and the 83(bottom) has the 2-tone meeting the tail light... weird

Reply #6
sweet  bro you need to get them over here so we can hit a cruise in or 2 you only live like 30 miles from me..and we can roll 4 cougars and a turbo smurf deep
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
Quote from: mywifeskitty;229416
well, maybe i can turn the 84 into a dd one day :)... i just noticed on the side by side that the 84 (top) has the 2-tone going past the tail light and the 83(bottom) has the 2-tone meeting the tail light... weird

is the 84 a 3.8 car?  also one of them was probably repainted at one point and the shop used the tail light as a reference point for the two-tone.

Reply #8
yeah, the 84 is a 3.8

Reply #9
Nice find...!

I like the story too, reminds me to keep up the spy work on an 86 over in one of the malls.... :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #10
Nice :D $200=sweet deal:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
know i'm resurecting an older thread, but it beats making a new one :)

the twins are home!!!

i went to south carolina on sunday with my parents (they happened to be visiting) to get the 84.....  well, i was going to replace the starter solenoid (it had a power drain and wouldn't start reliably, that's why i got it for $200.... anyway, i was going to fix it and drive back sunday night, but i broke the stud off (it was  cold), so i had to get another solenoid monday morning form the autoparts store....  that done and installed, i found out the battery was DEAD, even though i disconnected it, so, since it was bought at walmart by the previous guy, i took it there and 1 1/2 hours later, they charged it and i hooked it up......  for fear that it would die again, i drove straight through from columbia to st aug without stopping (about 360 miles or so).......  and it did well...... rides rough, took a bit for the tires to even out, but the engine was pretty smoothe......  i'm a believer now that the 3.8 isn't a bad engine at all :)... the only real problem i had was the master cylinder is SHOT and i had to pump it to stop:toilet: , but it got here safe:burnout:

so got it home and looked under and found out that the right front swaybar link is missing... not broken, but missing.....  this is one weird car :)

ANYWAY, i talk too much, but the interior is quite nice, just needs a headliner and dash pad... the outside is another matter, besides the swaybar links and master cylinder, the body is beat to hell from hail, the paint is faded awkwardly and the tail lights are broken, but that's why we fix em:bowdown:

she's from indiana, so there's a bit of rust, but not too bad for a DD......  even though she went through 3 owners, they were family members, so i was able to find the original bill of laiding (it sold for 13,300 new), owner manual, warranty card and pocket vin tag.....  i have a feeling this is going to be a LONG rebuild, but i'm glad to have my twins :)

p.s. if you made it this far reading, thanks for caring... i know i get long winded and stupid:mullet:

Reply #12
Might have been repainted. Looking at the front, amber turn lenses, no stand up ornament. Could just be a late build too i guess. Would make sense with what you pointed out about the paint though.

Great find. Glad it didnt go to the yard
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #13
Quote from: DVP;244716
Looking at the front, amber turn lenses, no stand up ornament.

don't know when they changed to amber lenses, but the 84 didn't have a hood ornament (just the cougar oval on the header panel), only the 83 came with the stand up one (but we're going to change that:evilgrin: )

Quote from: DVP;244716
Might have been repainted. Glad it didnt go to the yard

looks like they just didn't keep care of it (splochy, like an egg hit it, and such, the hail didn't help either :))... i did wonder before about the paint..... i haven't sent out for the build from ford yet on the 84, but the sheet ford sent me on the 83 only states it as a black car, not 2-tone.....  i think they are both factory 2-tones, but it's strange that the 83 and 84's paint ends differently on the back (as seen in the 2nd pic)..... i'd love to see a pic of another 2-tone from 83 and 84 to compare

Reply #14
Glad you got it home.What plans are in store for the V-6 beast?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..