Skip to main content
Topic: Cam ? (Read 2821 times) previous topic - next topic

Cam ?

As you all know, I'm rebuilding my car.
I'm also swapping the 3.8 for a 5.0.
I'm currently collecting parts for a HO upgrade and my question is....
what type of cam to get?
where to get one?
and, how do I know what kind to get?

This isn't going to be a race car. but it's not going to be a DD either
any help would be appreciated as I know almost nothing about building a motor.

Thanks,
Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #1
honestly if your doing a stock HO motor than just stick with the stock HO cam. You would be better off spending the money on a nice set of headers,catback exhaust, or 373's

I really wouldn't do an HO personally. If I was you I would be looking into a nice explorer longblock with explorer gt-40 intake and gt-40p heads and pick out a nice cam to bring it all together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cam ?

Reply #2
Quote from: Bob;229418
honestly if your doing a stock HO motor than just stick with the stock HO cam. You would be better off spending the money on a nice set of headers,catback exhaust, or 373's

I really wouldn't do an HO personally. If I was you I would be looking into a nice explorer longblock with explorer gt-40 intake and gt-40p heads and pick out a nice cam to bring it all together.

+1
works very well, I got a 80k mile explorer long block at the J/Y with intake throttle body fuel injectors and even ex. manifolds for $450.
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

Cam ?

Reply #3
Honestly if you want a whole new motor go here  http://www.fordstrokers.com/

But as far as cams go E303 sound great but i must say avoid it and Get a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam my neighbor has it in his 331 fox body stang makes 380RWHP its a nice fast car but still can be a Daily Drive except its got to much money in it so he drives it very little.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Cam ?

Reply #4
Quote from: Bob;229418

I am looking to put gt-40 heads on it no matter what. and working up to the explorer intake. (if that makes sense).
I still have a lot of work ahead before I even pull the 3.8 out.

I also would like some opinions of which way to go.
Right now I have
standard 5.0  in my parts bird
HO intake and injectors

I don't want to get to much stuff I can't use, If I can go in a better direction. But I also would like to use the parts I have, or at least the motor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #5
Is this car gonna be a 5 speed or auto?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Cam ?

Reply #6
Quote from: V8Demon;229455
Is this car gonna be a 5 speed or auto?

The bird has a C-6  that i'm planning on using, along with the drive shaft
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #7
Depending on how much more cam you want; an aftermarket torque converter would greatly benefit.  It's extra cost you'll wanna think about.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Cam ?

Reply #8
I have the gt40 irons and the TFS-1 cam, very happy.
As for the e303 cam don’t have any experience w/it but I heard if your thinking of it-don’t its old tech plenty of reads at corral over the e303 guys are giving them away there.
Actually now that I think about it I now guy who bought a create motor from ford w/alm heads and e303 cam and he wasn’t happy till he swapped the cam to a comp cam he said it was night and day.

Cam ?

Reply #9
Trickflow stage on for sure,hands down the best entry level cam.
Should work well for what you plan as well.
Question though and i've been wondering this for a while??,how are you going to use a c6 behind your 302(big block bellhousing) and why would you downgrade to a 3 speed????

Cam ?

Reply #10
If you flycut the so pistons,you will have lots of options.
With your talent it would be a breeze!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Cam ?

Reply #11
He has a small block c6,its in a parts car he has bolted to a 302.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Cam ?

Reply #12
dont worry
hes gonna be using gt40 heads and intake ;)
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Cam ?

Reply #13
If you are going to bolt the h/c/i onto the 302 from your parts car then I would suggest rebuilding the bottom end first. Also if you are using the auto make sure with what ever cam you go with that you get a converter to match. I should have when I did mine :flame:

If you're not going to be racing the car then I would just stick a HO cam in it or something that is similar. For the street you want low end torque. It'll be much more fun that way ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Cam ?

Reply #14
Leave to stock cam and have twice the torque at 1500 rpm's and throw the rest of the h.o. stuff in except computer and get a adj. fpr.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com