Skip to main content
Topic: Cam ? (Read 2820 times) previous topic - next topic

Cam ?

Reply #15
Leave to stock cam and have twice the torque at 1500 rpm's and throw the rest of the h.o. stuff in except computer and get a adj. fpr.

You mean the SO cam?

LOL!

Twice the torque @ 1500?!

If you say so......what about after 2500?  I guess it has more there too.... :rolleyes:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Cam ?

Reply #16
You stated “This isn't going to be a race car. But it's not going to be a DD either”
The HO cam does build power but to a level are you looking for something w/a little lump to it. Remember your motor is going to be apart that’s the difficult part the $200 bucks on a cam should not be 2nd guessed.

Cam ?

Reply #17
I guess the only way to explain it is...
I don't want it to be the fastest car on the block, but I want some power to say "look what I can do".
I suppose anything is going to seem fast compared to a 3.8.

I'm thinking explorer heads and mabe intake along with a decent cam might be enough for the next couple years.
I've never driven it more then 200 miles a year before it got put away.

If I feel a real need for speed after that, I can always build another motor and replace this one.

So many choices.......sigh
I'm guessing that my problem is not knowing anything about motors to start with.
It probably would be good to at least be in a car that has some of the stuff that everyone has suggested.
It would give me a better idea of what the car acts like too.

Well, I still have plenty of time to figure this out. I still need to put the back end of the car on, and I'm trying to stay ahead to the projects to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #18
with all the comments on the E-303, I would almost have to agree. If I would have thought things through a little more I would have never put one in my car. At one point I almost pulled it back out of the block before I put the engine in the car. Then I decided to risk PTV interference and run 1.7 RRs. Never checked it just hoped it worked. It did and I'm happy with it so far. It makes decent torque at barely over 2k rpm with power all the way to 6k. It'll pull any hill I've run into in 6th gear at rpm's as low as 1600. Still, after I get everything else finished up, it may still get replaced.
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

Cam ?

Reply #19
Quote from: Carpimp1987;229438
Honestly if you want a whole new motor go here  http://www.fordstrokers.com/

But as far as cams go E303 sound great but i must say avoid it and Get a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam my neighbor has it in his 331 fox body stang makes 380RWHP its a nice fast car but still can be a Daily Drive except its got to much money in it so he drives it very little.

I don't doubt the superiority of the TFS-1, but what else does he have in that thing other than 331 cu. in.?
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

Cam ?

Reply #20
Really if it's going to be a street car with GT40 heads/intake don't go and pick the biggest cam for it. You WILL be dissapointed. Instead I would run a stock HO cam or something just a bit bigger, like I have. However don't forget to think about injector size with what ever combo you use. I'm running 19s but they are really close to maxing out under WOT at stock fuel pressure. I will probably be going with 24s next year so I don't have to worry about fuel starvation and I have some extra breathing room in case I do any *upgrades* ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Cam ?

Reply #21
I have the TFS-1 cam and still have 19bl injectors no problems. It’s not that aggressive I call it a better "E" cam that’s all, or a better than stock replacement call it what you want. I also ran it w/the stock converter for a while (now I know all converters are different but the car ran well.

Long story short a few years back I broke a bolt in the timing cover so I figured while I was their Ill upgrade the cam. That was my only motor upgrade stock trany too and I was happy. that’s why I call it a stock upgrade.

But you should know that an HO transplant was already made (completely stock).

Cam ?

Reply #22
Now, I'm thinking mabe I should just swap the 3.8 with the clunky bearings for the stock 302 in the bird. and build another motor in the mean time. All the tough work will be out of the way and changed over, plus I can take my time and save up for some decent parts and block
If it wasn't for the bearing in my 3.8, I would leave that in there until I built something else. but there's 0 oil pressure now, and the clock is ticking to its last and final clunk.

I'm not trying to go the cheap route, just trying to make the right choice in parts. and I don't want to cut corners either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #23
Quote from: Innes;229689
I have the TFS-1 cam and still have 19bl injectors no problems. It’s not that aggressive I call it a better "E" cam that’s all, or a better than stock replacement call it what you want. I also ran it w/the stock converter for a while (now I know all converters are different but the car ran well.

Long story short a few years back I broke a bolt in the timing cover so I figured while I was their Ill upgrade the cam. That was my only motor upgrade stock trany too and I was happy. that’s why I call it a stock upgrade.

But you should know that an HO transplant was already made (completely stock).

You can get by with 19s but they are past the *ideal* 80% duty cycle range. It won't hurt to run the injectors at even a 100% duty cycle but you won't have much extra capacity with the 19s for "upgrades" you may do in the future.

Quote from: daminc;229703
Now, I'm thinking mabe I should just swap the 3.8 with the clunky bearings for the stock 302 in the bird. and build another motor in the mean time. All the tough work will be out of the way and changed over, plus I can take my time and save up for some decent parts and block
If it wasn't for the bearing in my 3.8, I would leave that in there until I built something else. but there's 0 oil pressure now, and the clock is ticking to its last and final clunk.

I'm not trying to go the cheap route, just trying to make the right choice in parts. and I don't want to cut corners either.

If the 302 in the parts T-bird is in good shape then I say go for it. It's better to build what you want then to throw something together just to get it running.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Cam ?

Reply #24
Quote from: daminc;229703

That being said...s the C6...literally...take it apart and s it...the C6 has to be one of the most power hungry transmissions I've ever seen....anything is better...save up for a T-5 swap...they can be had pretty cheap if you keep your eyes open...plus it makes even the SO kind fun to drive...lol.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Cam ?

Reply #25
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;229710
That being said...s the C6...literally...take it apart and s it...the C6 has to be one of the most power hungry transmissions I've ever seen....anything is better...save up for a T-5 swap...they can be had pretty cheap if you keep your eyes open...plus it makes even the SO kind fun to drive...lol.

Good luck,
Don

I'm not really a T-5 kinda guy. LOL

Would there be any problem with using my AOD from the 3.8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #26
Thunderjet302;
 yes It would probably be healthy to upgrade to bigger injectors I do have junk ones from a 460 their 24blers but I have no mass air and the car is running alright for now.

daminc:
If you’re questioning your self the advice I can tell you is if you looking to restore and upgrade 5.0/302 is the way to go not 3.8 so make it stock and simple for now. Get a junk/running 5.0HO motor clean it up get it in there and get the wiring right. In the mean time decide how you want your motor to be built and slowly build it when the time comes put it in. And as for the C6 theirs nothing wrong w/ the AOD there upgrades for that as well.
My rebuilt 302 is similar I really wanted a  heavy HP351 but I couldn’t find the right block in time and money was tight, but I had a hurt motor so I just rebuilt my 302 w/junk yard HP. This is reliable and powerful enough for now so money can go other places. I figure 10 years the car will be done and ill build the motor I want.
 My total spending was under 1500 for the rebuild ex. Paid $100 a head GT40 off explorer.

Hers my build 
http://foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17223

Cam ?

Reply #27
Quote from: Innes;229807

daminc:
If you’re questioning your self the advice I can tell you is if you looking to restore and upgrade 5.0/302 is the way to go not 3.8 so make it stock and simple for now. Get a junk/running 5.0HO motor clean it up get it in there and get the wiring right. In the mean time decide how you want your motor to be built and slowly build it when the time comes put it in. And as for the C6 theirs nothing wrong w/ the AOD there upgrades for that as well.
My rebuilt 302 is similar I really wanted a  heavy HP351 but I couldn’t find the right block in time and money was tight, but I had a hurt motor so I just rebuilt my 302 w/junk yard HP. This is reliable and powerful enough for now so money can go other places. I figure 10 years the car will be done and ill build the motor I want.
 My total spending was under 1500 for the rebuild ex. Paid $100 a head GT40 off explorer.

I think Thats the smart way too do this entire job. This way I can still swap rear and front ends and still put the motor together a little at a time.
The entire car rebuilding is the priority, this time around.
After the car is put together and running properly, Then I'll worry about the motor upgrade

If I get enough standard HO parts together for real cheap, I'll toss those on this 302 before I swap it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Cam ?

Reply #28
you should be able to get the whole motor cheap from mustang LSC or explorer the only thing is the explorer motors you probably want to change the cam here we are again. try and stick w/a stang or LSC.

And if fuel injection is staying w/you in the future look for a mass motor car maybe as a package it might be cheaper to convert not critical though, any motor can be converted later.

Cam ?

Reply #29
Thanks guys, I think I have a plan now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook